Thread: Servo winch

RC Enthusiast

Servo winch

Hey y'all..i got the trx4 bronco.. got a bull bumper, but a winch won't mount to the bumper without pushing it out farther, which I don't want. Looking to get an internal servo winch. any suggestions on how to do this?

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    I seen a bunch of videos on YouTube on how to do this. It has me convinced to try it when I'm ready or a winch.

To run it I'll probably go with the Warn remote controller since I don't have any extra channels on my controller.

There are a couple of ways to do this.

The first thing you need is a way to mount the servo, Werty Made makes an electronics tray that mounts around the steering servo and has a spot for a servo winch to mount. The design is ok, I don't really care for the part that sits next to the motor, and it would be a lot better if it were made out of aluminum. I bought one, copied the pattern and made my own aluminum mount.

https://www.google.com/search?ei=8Y7....0.ojp0eH8Xrx4

There are a couple of ways to do a servo winch. Using one with the servo's internal electronics is still a pain, even when you buy one that is "professionally" modified, the servo still tends to drift. The best way I have found is to gut the internal electronics completely and just use the motor and servo gears, running it off of a 1/18 scale ESC connected to an extra channel. You can also use a Hey OK winch controller. I don't know if the RC4WD remote winch controller will handle a servo motor, and those systems are, for the most part, junk anyways.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Enthusiast
    So the trx4 bronco has this set up for a front battery mount. Anyone seen a replacement plate for a servo winch? If not i think I'll use a dremmel and modify it myself.

RC Enthusiast
    Not sure if i like the crawler innovations one

Quote Originally Posted by browningjason78 View Post
    So the trx4 bronco has this set up for a front battery mount. Anyone seen a replacement plate for a servo winch? If not i think I'll use a dremmel and modify it myself...

Hey man, check this one out. I think this could be what you need.
    https://www.shapeways.com/product/F9...ionId=63074774
    9.7mph 3s TRX-4 Land Rover

RC Competitor
    I liked the first video and might follow some of what he did but I'm leaning more toward the second video winch type.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5YFlWyfnCs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyAxpaLa-Mk

RC Competitor
    OK, I started on my servo winch and If you have the right equipment it is very easy to do. I thought the spool would be the tough part, turns out it was one of the simplest steps so far.

RC Competitor
    I made a little progress since the last picture.

I had to start partially over and rethink a few things. I did get the shaft made, just need one more end plate and then I can wire this thing up.

Nice work! It must be awesome to have access to lathes and other machining tools!

RC Competitor
    Thanks,

I'm about done but there is a few things I'd do differently net time. One thing I need to change is get some flat head 2.5mm screws to replace the two you see in the picture above. Those heads are bothering me and if I counter sink the flat heads flush it would make life easier.

The second thing I'd do different is use smaller OD bearings.

Third thing is I'd start with 1/4'' angle instead of bolting the front plate to the bottom one.

Here is tonights progress.

Last edited by SWIGIN; 06-01-2018 at 10:18 PM.

Looks great!

RC Competitor
    I got it mostly done tonight and it seems to work great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAgcU8scF3Q

Nice work! I would have gone nuts drilling at tapping all of those 3mm holes, there is always that one that was drilled just a little off.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    Nice work! I would have gone nuts drilling at tapping all of those 3mm holes, there is always that one that was drilled just a little off.
    Thanks, The older I get the harder it is doing small things like that!

RC Competitor
    I finally took some pictures of the winch.

This thing is a beast!

It picks up my 10 pound TRX without a change in sound or speed. I hooked it up to a 50 pound hand cart at work and it started to lift it but I chickened out and stopped as soon as I seen it start to work hard. I don't want to break it right away before I get to use it in my next comp this Saturday.

The 300 lbs fishing string works well and doesn't have a memory like I hear some do. The string comes out straight and winds up tight.

I could not be happier with the outcome!

RC Competitor
    Testing the servo winch by lifting my buddys TRX. The winch hardly even changes sound when it leaves the ground!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3b6beuJ1-4