Thread: Esc

RC Qualifier

Esc

I'm about to purchase a new esc and contemplating between the new vxl or the et3s. What do you guys think or prefer? And why? Any help would be greatly appreciated
    slash 4wd upgraded

What are your requirements?
    Alt-248 on the number pad = °

The et3s is a stronger esc but it isn't waterproof which is why I prefer the sidewinder 8th. Between the two I would have to say go for the vxl.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

RC Qualifier

Esc

I prefer waterproof but it isn't mandatory. I will be running the traxxas funny car motor. The 2400kv. I'm buying off of Dh so that's why I brought up them 2 esc
    slash 4wd upgraded

The sidewinder 8th would be perfect.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

it would be nice to have some idea of the performance improvements gains that are made by going to a 4 pole. i'd assume anything 1/8th would blow the doors off the stock vxl

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyHildo View Post
    it would be nice to have some idea of the performance improvements gains that are made by going to a 4 pole. i'd assume anything 1/8th would blow the doors off the stock vxl
    Problem solved.

https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...e-Motor-an-ESC

https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...he-New-VXL-Wow

https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...-Review-inside
    Manager at LHS ~7 Years. I've seen some stuff lol

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    If you are the type that likes to tinker..... the ET-3s can easily be made to be waterproof.

Here is mine:

And here is how you do it:

I just got done running in the snow/slush. 2 packs. Everything went just fine. I'm about to head out again as soon as my packs charge.

RC Qualifier
    How do you like the et? Is it user friendly? And serious mods to mount it? Better then the vxl?
    slash 4wd upgraded

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I like it a lot and the price was right. Only 60 bucks on eBay. As far as mounting, you just need to make or buy a flat ESC mounting plate. My opinion is that it's better than the VXL. It'll run up to 6s (with hacked firmware) and has a lot more adjustability via a Castle Link.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by matts175 View Post
    I like it a lot and the price was right. Only 60 bucks on eBay. As far as mounting, you just need to make or buy a flat ESC mounting plate. My opinion is that it's better than the VXL. It'll run up to 6s (with hacked firmware) and has a lot more adjustability via a Castle Link.
    How does one 'hack' or 'get' hacked software?
    Too many RC's to list.......I NEED MORE THO!!!!

Old thread.

Don't know if it still applies, but here:
    https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...t-cant-connect
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    Old thread.

Don't know if it still applies, but here:
    https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...t-cant-connect
    I just got an ET3S and the 2400 funny car motor. Does anyone have any current links to set this combo up? I would like to hack it all the way.....PLEASE HELP!!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Demstwenties View Post
    I just got an ET3S and the 2400 funny car motor. Does anyone have any current links to set this combo up? I would like to hack it all the way.....PLEASE HELP!!
    Oohh. Tell me that motor isn’t the most beautiful thing ever. Tell me. Lol.

RC poster
    Hello I’m trying to see witch lipo is best for me I have a Traxxas Rustler
    Vxl and I’m hoping you guys can help by helping to choose what’s best for
    Me on lipo battery and charger please and thank you ��

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrbuda19 View Post
    Hello I’m trying to see witch lipo is best for me I have a Traxxas Rustler
    Vxl and I’m hoping you guys can help by helping to choose what’s best for
    Me on lipo battery and charger please and thank you ��
    3s for sure!!! But you will likely start to break other stuff with that much power!! The easiest answer is the highest C rating and maH you can afford!! Something in the 5000 maH and 45+C is a good start....

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Peeeenuuutt View Post
    Oohh. Tell me that motor isn’t the most beautiful thing ever. Tell me. Lol.
    It ISSSS the most beautiful thing ever!!! In fact, I in-turn bought 2 more 2400KV/ET3S combos!!!! I know have 3 of them, none of which I can unlock or hack the software.....

PLEASE!!!!! SOMEBODY OUT THERE HAS TO KNOW THE CURRENT WAY OF DOING THIS!!!!! There are a million posts of how it doesn't work today.....all from several years ago. I have spent days now trying to figure this out....I am so lost and have $300 in BEAUTIFUL and powerful paperweights.....

RC poster
    3s for sure!!! But you will likely start to break other stuff with that much power!! The easiest answer is the highest C rating and maH you can afford!! Something in the 5000 maH and 45+C is a good start....
    Okay thanks and as for charger what do you recommend or brand doesn’t really matter as long as it supports lipo?

RC Racer
    Okay thanks and as for charger what do you recommend or brand doesn’t really matter as long as it supports lipo?
    The less quality or amps supplied by the charger, the longer it will take to charge. In essence, brand doesn't matter, but you will sacrifice charge time as you look at less powerful options. Also, you will want to consider how many bats you wanna charge at a time, 1, 2, 4? There is a lot of price difference from a low quality 1 bat charger and a high quality 4 battery charger. It is the difference of charging a battery in ~30-45 minutes vs. 2 hours....

RC poster
    The less quality or amps supplied by the charger, the longer it will take to charge. In essence, brand doesn't matter, but you will sacrifice charge time as you look at less powerful options. Also, you will want to consider how many bats you wanna charge at a time, 1, 2, 4? There is a lot of price difference from a low quality 1 bat charger and a high quality 4 battery charger. It is the difference of charging a battery in ~30-45 minutes vs. 2 hours....
    Oh okay I see thanks I appreciate the help

RC Racer
    It ISSSS the most beautiful thing ever!!! In fact, I in-turn bought 2 more 2400KV/ET3S combos!!!! I know have 3 of them, none of which I can unlock or hack the software.....

PLEASE!!!!! SOMEBODY OUT THERE HAS TO KNOW THE CURRENT WAY OF DOING THIS!!!!! There are a million posts of how it doesn't work today.....all from several years ago. I have spent days now trying to figure this out....I am so lost and have $300 in BEAUTIFUL and powerful paperweights.....
    NOBODY KNOWS THE CURRENT WAY TO DO THIS??? I find that hard to believe!!! Someone please help!!!!

To make the ET-3s esc work, you have to go into the Castle Creations website and download the software. Once you do that you need to connect the esc to your computer through the Castke link. When you get that all hooked up find where it says live link. Disable the live link and the esc will work for you on 2 and 3s lipos.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Qualifier

Yep. I’m jealous. Too bad Traxxas 2200’s aren’t nearly as pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by Peeeenuuutt View Post
    Yep. I’m jealous. Too bad Traxxas 2200’s aren’t nearly as pretty.
    Is it my imagination or are all the 2200kv castle motors the fakers from china, at Amazon?
    Choose Life !!!

I recently purchased the Hi tec x2. ac/dc charger, Easy to use interface.....I like it. That is my backup charger. I also have the Traxxas EZ Peak dual. That is not a recommendation. Only a statement.
    Choose Life !!!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    To make the ET-3s esc work, you have to go into the Castle Creations website and download the software. Once you do that you need to connect the esc to your computer through the Castke link. When you get that all hooked up find where it says live link. Disable the live link and the esc will work for you on 2 and 3s lipos.
    Thanks El Sob!!! I am interested in making it capable of doing more than just 3S. It appears from research that I need some kinda of settings file that I replace in the CastleLink folder on my harddrive to make it think its a castle and not a traxxas....I can't find that settings file anywhere.......ANYONE out there have this info?