RC Enthusiast

Question Fan upgrade for castle creations system?

I was cleaning my slash and came across the fan of the esc and motor. While inspecting them for imperfections I realized that my motor fan had 1 of its blades ripped of. It is a 0.14A 5v Dc Brushless fan (YM0503PVS1) . It can be found on ebay for high prices for a litte fan that is as small as 30mmx30mmx7mm... I also found some very cheap ones from another site w same mesuraments but different brand. Would the amp draw of 0.2A compared to 0.14A in the original, make a lot of difference as cooling and battery drainage? Using 6400mah 3s lipo. There is also a 0.15a option in that site but seeing that they are the same money, would it be better if i buy 0.2 or stick w stock ratings and get the 0.2a. My esc already has multiple fans hooked up to it so that little extra deaw won't be a problem for it. Found a cheap replacement motor for my slash and don't want to burn it while waiting for my 2400kv combo to arrive

RC Enthusiast
    2 miliamps fan will have more rpm probably, and drain battery faster (approx one second from full battery). More rpm does not necessarily mean more airflow, it's about fan construction. Found cheap fans have only 2 mounts (motor and blades are connected to fan body with 2 joints), and I always rip em off on big jumps. 3 joints last longer for me. 0,14 0,15 and 0,20 is absolutely no difference

I personally like fans from Yeah Racing! If you look on YouTube they put out more air than most other fans. They can also take quite a beating and stay together. I believe they have two bearings holding them together where most only have one. The fan on the motor and the fan on the escl are over a year old, work as good as the first day I installed them and I have done no maintenance to them! I highly recommend Yeah Racing fans

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    I personally like fans from Yeah Racing! If you look on YouTube they put out more air than most other fans. They can also take quite a beating and stay together. I believe they have two bearings holding them together where most only have one. The fan on the motor and the fan on the escl are over a year old, work as good as the first day I installed them and I have done no maintenance to them! I highly recommend Yeah Racing fans

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    What heatsink is that on your motor?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I don't know anything about YR fans but if you recommend them I'm sure they've proven reliable.

When looking at these fans there will be one important difference, you'll find the cheaper ones have sleeve bearings, these will have a much shorter life in an RC application, the more expensive ones will have ball bearings (if it doesn't state ball bearings it most likely isn't). A ball bearing fan might cost two or more times what a sleeve bearing fan will but they'll last ten times as long.
    Sleeve bearing fans have a place but a ball bearing fan will imo always be the better choice.
    Wild Turbo Fans (*** fans) have a bearing option; there not cheap to buy but make up for it in service life and air flow.
    There are others but ***'s like YR specialize in RC fans.

LOL, sorry but Traxxas though Wild Turbo Fans was a bad word.
    Last edited by billy-bones; 05-13-2018 at 10:20 AM.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

spyderrc10gt2 I'm pretty sure that the heatsink is made by Integy. They happen to be the only thing I ever buy from that company. Their soft aluminum can be bent so it molds to have a very snug fit to the motor.

Billy, I'm almost sure the Yeah Racing fans have ball bearings. I have put those fans through heck and back for more that a year and they still work great! No funny noises, no slow starts or blades flying off! They put out a considerable amount more air than other fans. There is a gentleman who has a video on YouTube that shows the fans in action! They make a 44 difference in running temperature!

Last edited by El Sob; 05-13-2018 at 11:15 AM.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

I agree with the others — yeah Racing and wild turbo are good fans, pump a lot of air. They can be loud though.
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

I'm just curious fellas... what kind of temps do you see with motor fan(s) installed? I have never had a fan on my MMX/2200 Sensored setup and I run nothing less than 4S with max temps around 160. I've seen 178 on 10 minute 6S bashing. I have my temp gun in pocket everytime I bash, well almost, and check it periodically. 45/15 gearing right now.

-Shack

Quote Originally Posted by shack351 View Post
    I'm just curious fellas... what kind of temps do you see with motor fan(s) installed? I have never had a fan on my MMX/2200 Sensored setup and I run nothing less than 4S with max temps around 160. I've seen 178 on 10 minute 6S bashing. I have my temp gun in pocket everytime I bash, well almost, and check it periodically. 45/15 gearing right now.

-Shack

I don't run fans on any of my RC's shack, I just use a lot of them on other projects.
    I do a lot of stuff with buck converters and other things that require heat dissipation.
    As far as my RC's the only thing I run 6s in in my 2200 RX-8 combo and it sees more shelf time then anything.
    My MT 4wd runs a 2650 on 3s and 4s with 18/54 gearing which translates to the same 3/1 as your running with 15/45 and my temps never wander past 160; I'm sure if I started running 6s they'ed be higher but I have enough trouble controlling it on 4s.
    Last edited by billy-bones; 05-13-2018 at 07:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    I don't run fans on any of my RC's shack, I just use a lot of them on other projects.
    I do a lot of stuff with buck converters and other things that require heat dissipation.
    As far as my RC's the only thing I run 6s in in my 2200 RX-8 combo and it sees more shelf time then anything.
    My MT 4wd runs a 2650 on 3s and 4s with 18/54 gearing which translates to the same 3/1 as your running with 15/45 and my temps never wander past 160; I'm sure if I started running 6s they'ed be higher but I have enough trouble controlling it on 4s.
    I use buck converters as well but I don't have much heat generated from them. Can I ask how you are using them?

-Shack

Quote Originally Posted by shack351 View Post
    I use buck converters as well but I don't have much heat generated from them. Can I ask how you are using them?

-Shack
    Mostly dropping 32vdc-27vdc to 12v and 5v dc around 1-3amps, they do fine (no fans required) when not trying to lose as much voltage but but being little LM2956s chips they have their work cut out for them.
    I also have an induction heater setup for hardening steel, it's two HP 47amp brick 12v dc power supplies running in series at 24vdc thru a booster to 50v at 20amp powering a flyback induction setup.
    For short work I only use a 120mm x 120mm fan to cool the coil but for longer service periods I'll pump water thru the heating coil but the booster, along with induction heater mosfets and transformers get pretty warm at more then 15amp during long service cycles.
    I'll pm you if you want to talk further on the topic.
    Last edited by billy-bones; 05-14-2018 at 06:12 AM.

Understood! I mistakenly thought you meant that the bucks were installed in your various rigs. I use two bucks in one of my rigs but I'm just dropping 4S-6S voltage down to 12V on one rail and 5V on another. Lots of LEDs and controllers to power!

-Shack

I use one of these to get my 3S or 4S LiPo's to power my 12V LEDs:
    https://www.pololu.com/product/2577

@Billy:
    Harden steel? I hear that and automatically think of the show, "Forged In Fire!"
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

@Billy:
    Harden steel? I hear that and automatically think of the show, "Forged In Fire!"
    I never thought of that lol.
    It's the same process but with induction heat rather then a kelum.