RC Qualifier

What's holding me back? Need for speed

In my quest for triple digits I have a sidewinder 8th with MOD1 gearing, 29/40. I don't have a speed run body so I'm running bodyless. 82 mph is my max so far. If I run a speed run body will that improve my speed? Is aerodynamics super important when you're going this fast?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
    RC. an addiction I'm proud of

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by slashcrazy View Post
    In my quest for triple digits I have a sidewinder 8th with MOD1 gearing, 29/40. I don't have a speed run body so I'm running bodyless. 82 mph is my max so far. If I run a speed run body will that improve my speed? Is aerodynamics super important when you're going this fast?

Iíd say that esc is most of the problem. Also what KV motor and batteries are you running?

I see wires for two 3s batteries but can't see if the wired in series or parallel; 3s (two 3s parallel) with a 2200kv and those gears is around 84mph, of course 6s in series is a hole different story.

You probably have it right it's just hard to see how you have them connected.
    I only ask because your achieved top speed it about right on for 3s.

After 50mph aerodynamics play a very big part in the final equation.

Here's a link to help with theoretical speed if you don't have it.
    http://www.scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/top_speed.html
    Last edited by billy-bones; 05-18-2018 at 08:02 PM. Reason: added link
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Qualifier
    It's a 2200kv motor running 6s. I thought I have seen people reach 100 with this combo before.

It's a 2200kv motor running 6s. I thought I have seen people reach 100 with this combo before.

Gripdog has more experience going fast then I do but I would have thought it capable as well.
    Did you make your Y connector?
    What awg wire did you use, I believe that's only a 90 amp esc so I wouldn't use anything under 12awg.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    Gripdog has more experience going fast then I do but I would have thought it capable as well.
    Did you make your Y connector?
    What awg wire did you use, I believe that's only a 90 amp esc so I wouldn't use anything under 12awg.
    No I bought the connector. Also anyone have any recommendations for a good speed run body?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    No I bought the connector. Also anyone have any recommendations for a good speed run body?

I donít run a slash, I run a Rustler. DeltaPlastik bodies are to go to for either. I donít run a speed body, I donít care for the looks.
    I still say anemic ESC and gearing. Briber never could break 100 with that esc either. What discharge rate are your batteries?

RC Racer

When going over about 55 mph, aerodynamics becomes a big issue. With a speed run body you should be able to hit almost 100 mph. Also making it as low as possible without scraping the ground will help with aerodynamics. You also want a splitter and wing, because as far as i know your not trying to make an rc plane!