RC poster

Slash 4x4 Ultimate gearing / temps

Hello Everybody,

I'm a proud new owner of a new slash 4x4 ultimate. I can say I am very happy with my purchase, save for the lie about how it can run 3s batteries. As I have come to find out 3s batteries pretty much mean you have to fight temps. So at this point I'm not ready to upgrade to a new esc motor combo which I believe means I need to change our my pinion gear. This is what brings me to the forum.

I was reading the online manual and it says that to gear to a 11t pinion gear would require the "removal or modification of plastic motor end cap for proper fit". I haven't seen anybody mention that when giving advice to change the gearing. Is this a hard modification for a relatively new person to do?

Also if I upgrade to this:

http://www.castlecreations.com/en/ma...bo-010-0160-00

can I just drop in the motor and esc with no other modifications?

Thanks

Welcome to the forum and the addiction! You are among a group of people who share the love of the Traxxas Slash 4x4! If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Remember we are here to help!

Im have almost that same motor system. My motor has the 5mm shaft. That motor will be extremely happy in your truck. It will plaster a permanent smile on your face! I have enjoyed the Mamba X esc and the 5mm shaft 2400 motor for over a year without any worries or problems. You may want to get a set of MIP X-Duty axles. If not you can rotate the axles from side to side after every run.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

I run a 2200 on 3s exclusively and it's geared 20/50 andy temps never get hot.

I'm about to put in a 2650kv because I stole the 2200 for my new Yeti XL project and all I'm going to do is drop down to an 18.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Well I geared down today to a 11t pinion gear today and lost about 10 mpg. I appear to hit about 40 mph on my driveway. However, my temps looks to be down a significant amount. However its much cooler. I'll have to test again when its warm out. I also didn't have to modify anything to put the pinion in, so it's weird that they even mention it.

Thanks fort the opinions guys.