Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Competitor

Talking My 3s 5000mah Lipo's are Swelling

Hi everyone

I bought 1 years ago 2x 3s 5000mah Traxxas Lipo From Hobby Store , ı use for the Mamba E-Revo and 1/10 Rally but in now my lipos started swell .

I send e-mail to support but not answer yet,what can ı do for my lipos ?
    Can traxxas change my lipo to new or what ?

I use my Lipo very carefully.

My Lipos Like 1st Lipo in Video .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMedzBA9Nc4

I' sorry you're having difficulty. It looks like those packs are "puffed" well beyond a safe amount. I would not continue to use them.
    More than likely you will have to contact the Traxxas distributor in your region if you are not in the United States. The distributor will tell you what they can do for you.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Competitor
    Thanks lot ksb51rl

I buy from Switzerland , Traxxas hobby store ı wıll tell him to this issue .

What Can I Do For Prevent Puff ?

My Batteries still had a good performance but I will do what you say.

Thanks again

RC Qualifier
    Good performance or not, swelling means they want to blow up man. Think of it as a balloon. If it swell swell swells it’s eventually gonna pop and those are getting there. Unless you want a fire, you seriously need to take ksb51’s advice. To care for your lipos against puffing just avoid heat. Heat is the number 1 factor in lipo swelling.

I have had only one of my 8 Traxxas batteries swell up just a tiny bit. I cant even hardly squeeze mine though its so tight. I can tell you exactly how it happen. I had 3 batteries charged and ready for a run day. Well it never happened and I store charged all but one. Don't know how i missed it and left it charged for 3 weeks. An 8400 mah.... Dang it.
    Choose Life !!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    By far the number one cause or RC LiPo pack failure (including swelling) is due to over-discharging. In other words, running the battery pack down too low and/or storing the battery pack with not enough charge in it for the intended storage time.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
    By far the number one cause or RC LiPo pack failure (including swelling) is due to over-discharging. In other words, running the battery pack down too low and/or storing the battery pack with not enough charge in it for the intended storage time.
    Well, I guess he’s right. The easiest way to puff a lipo is to overcharge or overdischarge it. But for those who maintain them properly it’s the heat. Heat is a killer. Especially they’re only 25C and some are running dual 3s in an xmaxx with 25C mine run hot in my e revo I can’t imagine them lasting long

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I have to ask, where does the killer heat come from? Most likely from over-Amping the pack or operating the system in high ambient temperatures. Over-discharging will also cause excessive heat. Using a quality charger, it is unlikely a battery pack will over-charge.

Over-discharging is far and away the number one cause of premature RC LiPo pack failure!

RC Competitor
    For lektro ;

My 1st lipo as you said not much swell but my 2nd lipo swell very very , ı can squeez ıt .

Big question is ,

ı use my lipo for e revo, why one of my lipo swell ?
    Thanks
    Last edited by Double G; 05-24-2018 at 12:19 PM. Reason: merge

RC Qualifier
    I have to ask, where does the killer heat come from? Most likely from over-Amping the pack or operating the system in high ambient temperatures. Over-discharging will also cause excessive heat. Using a quality charger, it is unlikely a battery pack will over-charge.

Over-discharging is far and away the number one cause of premature RC LiPo pack failure!
    Not rocket science. Say it’s 80 degrees and you take your e revo out with 25c 5000mah packs. When you take it in they’ll be pretty hot and that’ll kill em and puff them real quick. Not rocket science not trying to argue man..

RC Competitor
    I don't thınk so like you

I doesn't make anything as you said , my car is stock e revo , my charger is stock traxxas lipo balance charger .

I thınk Refueling make thıs .

Thanks

RC Qualifier
    Oh and a series battery rule of thumb, the one going to the red esc cable is always taxed more. Rotate batteries for better life

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Peeeenuuutt View Post
    Oh and a series battery rule of thumb, the one going to the red esc cable is always taxed more. Rotate batteries for better life
    I Connot understood very well , can you explain plz ?

RC Qualifier
    Switch ur batteries front right to left after every run.

RC Competitor
    Batteries position ?

After every run ?

https://ibb.co/eQsevo

Not rocket science. Say it’s 80 degrees and you take your e revo out with 25c 5000mah packs. When you take it in they’ll be pretty hot and that’ll kill em and puff them real quick. Not rocket science not trying to argue man..
    Do you know who you are arguing with? I'm absolutely certain Jakey knows what he is talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Berkee View Post
    Batteries position ?

After every run ?

https://ibb.co/eQsevo
    Yes.
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    Thanks All I understood everything , Hava a nice days.

Wont matter in a Mamba Monster powered E-Revo.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Won’t matter in a Mamba Monster powered E-Revo.
    Yeah. Lol. You got that right

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    Do you know who you are arguing with? I'm absolutely certain Jakey knows what he is talking about.

Yes.
    Not gonna argue back and forth because you guys don’t know what heat is..

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Not gonna argue back and forth because you guys don’t know what heat is..
    OK, sure .....

For the OP, please do everything possible to make certain you are not over-discharging your LiPo packs. You will notice the difference in battery pack operating life cycles.
    Last edited by Jakey; 05-25-2018 at 01:13 PM.

RC Qualifier
    OK, sure .....

For the OP, please do everything possible to make certain you are not over-discharging your LiPo packs. You will notice the difference in battery pack operating life cycles.
    Oh and make sure to use an ohms meter if you ever do a storage charge. I used the ez peak plus storage feature on one of my 6400 3s batts and it drained it so low that the charger no longer took it. Traxxas replaced the charger tho but I’ve been too scared to put batteries into storage since

Oh and make sure to use an ohms meter if you ever do a storage charge. I used the ez peak plus storage feature on one of my 6400 3s batts and it drained it so low that the charger no longer took it. Traxxas replaced the charger tho but Ive been too scared to put batteries into storage since
    What would an Ohm meter do for you?

If you dont storage dis/charge I hope you at least leave your LiPo packs in a partially discharged state.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

If you dont storage dis/charge I hope you at least leave your LiPo packs in a partially discharged state.
    An ohm meter(multimeter) would tell you the internal resistance of the cells, if you know how to use it and it measures milliohms. Still not important for this discussion. Theres plenty of good threads on batteries if folks dont get it. Bottom line if your batteries look like the OPs toss them. Since they both look the same there is operator error at play.

I am not the battery expert but do know how they should be charged for running and discharged for storage. What I don't know for a fact is. Will the batteries swell due to leaving it charged? Like I said earlier I did accidentally leave one charged and it did swell, slightly. tight as a tick too....
    Choose Life !!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by lektro View Post
    I am not the battery expert but do know how they should be charged for running and discharged for storage. What I don't know for a fact is. Will the batteries swell due to leaving it charged? Like I said earlier I did accidentally leave one charged and it did swell, slightly. tight as a tick too....
    RC LiPo packs should definitely NOT be discharged for storage. By "discharged", I mean pulled down to near an empty state of charge. For storage, hook the pack up to your charger and utilize the storage function of the charger. If your charger does not have a storage function, just charge the pack until it is approximately half full. The proper storage level (voltage) is not an exact number, anything close to half charge or 3.8 volts per cell will do just fine.

Leaving a RC LiPo pack fully charged for long periods of time causes cumulative damage. Pack swelling is one of several possible damages from full charge storage.

Again, by far the number cause of RC LiPo failure is over-discharging. Set your ESC LVC to 3.5 volts per cell and make certain to always disconnect the pack after running the RC vehicle. If your RC vehicle ESC does not allow the LVC to be adjusted, purchase a Low Voltage Alarm (LVA) with adjustable voltage settings. An LVA can typically be found at your LHS or Ebay for less than $5. Set the LVA to 3.5 volts per cell and connect it to the balance connector of the battery pack during operation.

RC LiPo packs should definitely NOT be discharged for storage. By "discharged", I mean pulled down to near an empty state of charge. For storage, hook the pack up to your charger and utilize the storage function of the charger. If your charger does not have a storage function, just charge the pack until it is approximately half full. The proper storage level (voltage) is not an exact number, anything close to half charge or 3.8 volts per cell will do just fine.

Leaving a RC LiPo pack fully charged for long periods of time causes cumulative damage. Pack swelling is one of several possible damages from full charge storage.

Again, by far the number cause of RC LiPo failure is over-discharging. Set your ESC LVC to 3.5 volts per cell and make certain to always disconnect the pack after running the RC vehicle. If your RC vehicle ESC does not allow the LVC to be adjusted, purchase a Low Voltage Alarm (LVA) with adjustable voltage settings. An LVA can typically be found at your LHS or Ebay for less than $5. Set the LVA to 3.5 volts per cell and connect it to the balance connector of the battery pack during operation.
    Thanks for the info Jakey. I need to stay on my toes when I have to store charge and not forget to do so if I miss my run time after charging 3 lipos. I have a great HT charger which tells me the individual cell counts anytime I want to see what they are. I can see that a LVA would be a nice addition for backup......I also have MMXs in both my rusty and p4de. I see that as a bit of added security, seeing I can set what i want to cut off at low voltage. Thanx
    Last edited by lektro; 05-26-2018 at 11:12 AM.
    Choose Life !!!

I had some lipo packs a while back and followed what Jakey advised and they did great for yrs till I sold them with rc. Never had had issues and I used the proper charge and discharge rates on them. In my rc they did great only time they got warm was 100+f outside but not hot ever.
    Surprised more dont know who Jakey is 😄
    Living life.

Surprised more dont know who Jakey is ��
    I don't know who Jakey is but it is not hard to see when someone know's what he's talking about. I respect that and take all the info to heart.... Who is Jakey? Sorry I don't know! Maybe someone could tell me in a private message...Or here!
    Choose Life !!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I don't know who Jakey is but it is not hard to see when someone know's what he's talking about. I respect that and take all the info to heart.... Who is Jakey? Sorry I don't know! Maybe someone could tell me in a private message...Or here!
    He owned SPC lipos. He also only chimes in when a battery thread need some guidance.

Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    He owned SPC lipos. He also only chimes in when a battery thread need some guidance.
    Sweet! Now I know, my words were very true of him knowing what he's talking about. Shame on me for not knowing Jakey. I will always be looking in here for his posts now. In the forum with his knowledge and posts about lipos, is surely everyone's gain.
    Choose Life !!!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    That is an awesome asset to the forums thanks for sharing that.

You are certainly right on that Rain Dawg. Although I would not question his posts anyhow. It's nice to know that he is an expert. I know i would never doubt what he has to say about lipos, unlike some jibberish you hear every now and then....
    Choose Life !!!

I was u tubing yesterday checking out lipo stuff. I saw where one guy put his puffed battery in the freezer and the swelling went down. I figured what the heck I will give it a try before I de-juice it and throw it away. Threw it in last night and just took it out. Dang if the swelling didn't go away. Not saying it fixed the battery but it did get rid of the swelling..... I will charge it one time and see if it swells back up. Am thinking it probably will.

Might swell back up while it's thawing out..............We shall see
    Last edited by lektro; 05-28-2018 at 07:57 AM.
    Choose Life !!!

Just as I thought. As the battery thawed out, it puffed right back up...... Dag gone Dragon!
    Choose Life !!!

Just as I thought. As the battery thawed out, it puffed right back up...... Dag gone Dragon!
    I've tried this as well, though it seemed to me like it didn't swell back up to the same size. I just had to exterminate a 2 cell 7600mah pack because I went to cycle all my batteries and it got rock hard swollen. Me personally, if it's a little puffed, not swollen, and not hard I'll keep running them. If I can push on the pack and feel the cells (not the gas build up) I use them, while watching them like a hawk. When the packs don't balance out in a timely manner, or excessive heat during charging or discharging, they swim with the fishes, ha!

it's alright son, I'll fix it
    Its alright son I'll fix it when you break it

Dang I didn't even think of that. I have ocean water all around me. I will just go toss it somewhere..... Haha Just kiddin.... Should I use it for target practice with my pellet gun first, to drain and puncture the cells..... I ain't usin no hammer like i seen some do... Me know brave! hi yi yi yi yay!
    Last edited by lektro; 05-28-2018 at 06:41 PM.
    Choose Life !!!

RC Qualifier

If you don’t storage dis/charge I hope you at least leave your LiPo packs in a partially discharged state.
    Not going to get angry. Not going to get angry. Okay lol. I use the ohms meter because as I mentioned my ez peak plus charger drew too much life from my battery therefore making it unable to be charge safely after. If you take the ohms, put the red wire to red wire, black wire to black wire, you can see if the charger overdischarged the pack and contact Traxxas. All ya do is multiply 3.7 times 3 and if it’s not around there then you have a problem

My 3s 5000mah Lipo's are Swelling

Not going to get angry. Not going to get angry. Okay lol. I use the ohms meter because as I mentioned my ez peak plus charger drew too much life from my battery therefore making it unable to be charge safely after. If you take the ohms, put the red wire to red wire, black wire to black wire, you can see if the charger overdischarged the pack and contact Traxxas. All ya do is multiply 3.7 times 3 and if its not around there then you have a problem
    You should be looking at the volt meter function of the multimeter then. An ohm meter measures electrical resistance. I was wondering how youd use that to determine state of charge. Ohms are the units [of resistance]. A volt meter measures electric potential difference.

I read what you wrote. You simply used the wrong term. No need to get angry with yourself or anybody else.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 06-04-2018 at 09:44 PM.

You should be looking at the volt meter function of the multimeter then. An ohm meter measures electrical resistance. I was wondering how youd use that to determine state of charge. Ohms are the units. A volt meter measures electric potential difference.

I read what you wrote. You simply used the wrong term. No need to get angry with yourself or anybody else.
    Hehehe, I love your sense of humor marshal!

it's alright son, I'll fix it
    Its alright son I'll fix it when you break it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast