RC poster

Another Traxxas Funny Car motor success

Just wanted to do another funny car motor recommendation. I originally bought a wp sc8 with Castle 2650 combo off ebay. Turns out the Castle was fake. It was a great motor in that it was super fast. Iím sure the real one would have run cooler. But it was a heavy motor. And my car handled like a pig. I tried GTR shocks with VG Racing springs. And it was better.

I typically bash in the culdesac with my kids who have stock slash 4x4ís. Lots of stop and go, reverse, jumping curbs and cutting through neighbors lawns. (They all have kids and are fine with this.) We play tag with 3 cars. And they always killed me. I just could never get the driving down with the big motor. Maybe a throttle control issue and others are fine.

So into the parts bin it went. Next tried the Tenshock sc401 v2. It weighs the same as stock, and the handling was better, same as the stockers my kids run. But my battery would last 1/2 as long and the motor ran toward the high end of acceptable heat.

Just picked up the funny car motor on ebay. Itís perfect for me. A good bit faster than stock, and runs super cool with good run times.

All our cars run 3s traxxas ID batteries so the kids can charge. Mine has the revo slipper upgrade, and the tekno big bone center shaft. Otherwise stock except RPM parts.

I read a lot picking motors and parts but the above setup is what I ended up happy with.

Frankly Iím surprised how well my kids stocker motors are holding up on 3s. When they break will probably just pay too much and get the funny car motors. Or upgrade to the monster x sensored 2400 combo.

But for now super happy.

RC Qualifier
    How do you know the motor was fake? I would message eBay letting them know it was a scam as you should be able to get your money back.
    As for later I think your kids could run a mamba X. I don’t see a reason for a larger 1/8th scale. Especially with every thing being stock.

Welcome to the forum and the addiction! You are among a group of people who share the love of the Traxxas Slash 4x4! If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Remember we are here to help!!

The motor out of the Traxxas Funny Car was named the El Sob special by a gentleman who is no longer a member of the forums. I have run the motors for years and love them! They are ( in my opinion ) the perfect motor for the Slash 4x4! In my On Board Audio Ultimate edition I have the sensored Mamba X and 2400 motor. I have had it over a year and I absolutely love it! It has taken everything that I could throw at it and it just keeps going! I am happy that you have found a motor that works well for you. What sec do you have it paired with?
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    Welcome to the forum and the addiction! You are among a group of people who share the love of the Traxxas Slash 4x4! If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Remember we are here to help!!

The motor out of the Traxxas Funny Car was named the El Sob special by a gentleman who is no longer a member of the forums. I have run the motors for years and love them! They are ( in my opinion ) the perfect motor for the Slash 4x4! In my On Board Audio Ultimate edition I have the sensored Mamba X and 2400 motor. I have had it over a year and I absolutely love it! It has taken everything that I could throw at it and it just keeps going! I am happy that you have found a motor that works well for you. What sec do you have it paired with?
    Yah, ever since I heard about it I bought one of those beautiful blue Traxxas 2400’s but my friend bought it off me and he runs it in an emaxx. A few fans and it’s just a faster 2200.

The Traxxas Funny Car motor matches well with the Velineon esc. The Funny Car esc is better except for the fact that it is not waterproof. The Funny Car motor looks good next to the Velineon esc

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post

I am using hobbywing wp sc 8 for an esc. Its sensorless but waterproof and smooth / durable.

Can I ask, does your sensored Castle 2400 seem like an improvement on the original Traxxas funny car motor? Any difference in runtime compared to sensorless?

Thank you.

RC poster
    Well the eBay seller is no longer on there and I didn’t figure it out until after eBay’s protection period.
    It matches fake in the YT videos. Wrong lettering on wires, wrong orientation on can etching. Too good to be true price. Should have known. Will likely sell with disclosure. Plenty like them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rails View Post
    I am using hobbywing wp sc 8 for an esc. Its sensorless but waterproof and smooth / durable.

Can I ask, does your sensored Castle 2400 seem like an improvement on the original Traxxas funny car motor? Any difference in runtime compared to sensorless?

Thank you.
    I would say so. For one being sensored low speed operation is beautiful! It is like running a brushed motor. It is perfectly smooth and very powerful! It runs cooler and is more efficient. If I buy another Ultimate edition truck it will definitely get a sensored Mamba X and 2400 motor system. I still have a few of the O. G. El Sob motors sitting around so that says a lot!

RC Racer
    I looked and couldn't find it for sale here. Its # ET-2400 ,correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Workingstiff View Post
    I looked and couldn't find it for sale here. Its # ET-2400 ,correct?
    It looks like everyone is out of stock on that motor. It is a great motor. That is why I keep a couple laying around

RC Racer
    Thats the correct part number/name?

Yes it is the Traxxas ET-3S ET-2400. That is the Funny Car part numbers.

RC Racer
    Thank you,sir

Other than less smooth launches, are there any other downsides to the funny car motor v.s the castle 2400? Mainly looking for a power comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hammie4c View Post
    Other than less smooth launches, are there any other downsides to the funny car motor v.s the castle 2400? Mainly looking for a power comparison.

I would not say downsides. The one major difference is that the new sensored 2400 motor comes with the option of a 5mm shaft. The 5mm shaft is a lot stronger than the other. When paired with the Mamba X esc you can get data logging. I can't say that I have noticed a difference in performance. I have not run them side by side either.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by hammie4c View Post

UH, YAH! The Traxxas motor is, oh nothing. Just the SINGLE MOST BEAUTIFUL MOTOR EVER CREATED!

Beautiful motor... not that you could see much of it when I had it in my Slash 4x4...

Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

I still run two 2400kv castle motors and have never had a problem with them.
    Both are the older non sensored motors with 3mm shafts, for me this works out much better as I already had every pinion from 9t to 23t in 32p RR absolutes with 3mm shafts from my racing days.
    I do however run them in my 2wd trucks rather than 4wds and love the performance to heat ratio without running any fans.
    If I decide to by another I'm sure I'll enjoy the sensored setup, I ran and have several sensored motors but not a sensored 2400kv to at this point.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC poster
    [B]I am just getting back into R.C. cars and this is my first post on the forum. My but things have changed since the days of my rc-10...
    I purchased a slash 4x4 lcg with the new velineon 3500 motor and the 3s esc about 6 months ago. I have always ran 3s lippos in the truck. Although ts been a lot of fun running it on the 3s lippos it has not been with out cost. I have broken a bunch of parts but have always replaced them with upgraded parts. Recently I have noticed that my truck dosen't seem to be as fast as it was. Its very possible I may have damaged the motor and or esc by overheating them. I just recently purchased a heat tester and the first time I checked the motor after a run it was 252 degrees. Yea I know.
    So I started to look for a motor upgrade . I read a lot about the funny car motor ET-2400 on this forum and everybody seems to love the so I bought one from Jenny's RC. I installed it in my truck with a 18 tooth pinion gear and my stock 3s Traxxas ESC.
    I was surprised to find that it was not quite as fast as my 3500. And I am not in training mode.
    I am still trying to learn about all these different motor ESC combinations out there and I must admit it confuses me.
    So I have a question . As of now I kinda wish I would not have bought the funny car motor because as I said my 3500 will smoke it. What I don't know is if I get a better ESC will that make the funny car motor perform better? I guess with a better ESC I could get 4s lippos and that would make it perform better. But what if I used 3s? Should a better ESC make the funny car motor go faster using 3s lippos? Or would the only advantage of using the funny car motor and better ESC be that I could then use 4s lippos? All help will be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by 3357 View Post
    [B]I am just getting back into R.C. cars and this is my first post on the forum. My but things have changed since the days of my rc-10...
    I purchased a slash 4x4 lcg with the new velineon 3500 motor and the 3s esc about 6 months ago. I have always ran 3s lippos in the truck. Although ts been a lot of fun running it on the 3s lippos it has not been with out cost. I have broken a bunch of parts but have always replaced them with upgraded parts. Recently I have noticed that my truck dosen't seem to be as fast as it was. Its very possible I may have damaged the motor and or esc by overheating them. I just recently purchased a heat tester and the first time I checked the motor after a run it was 252 degrees. Yea I know.
    So I started to look for a motor upgrade . I read a lot about the funny car motor ET-2400 on this forum and everybody seems to love the so I bought one from Jenny's RC. I installed it in my truck with a 18 tooth pinion gear and my stock 3s Traxxas ESC.
    I was surprised to find that it was not quite as fast as my 3500. And I am not in training mode.
    I am still trying to learn about all these different motor ESC combinations out there and I must admit it confuses me.
    So I have a question . As of now I kinda wish I would not have bought the funny car motor because as I said my 3500 will smoke it. What I don't know is if I get a better ESC will that make the funny car motor perform better? I guess with a better ESC I could get 4s lippos and that would make it perform better. But what if I used 3s? Should a better ESC make the funny car motor go faster using 3s lippos? Or would the only advantage of using the funny car motor and better ESC be that I could then use 4s lippos? All help will be appreciated.
    You need to change your gearing and the 2400kv castle will be as fast and run cooler with more torque then the stock motor.
    Remember this simple formula when looking into motors.
    KV = rpm's per input volt.
    3500kv x 11.7 = 40,950 rpm's.
    2400kv x 11.7= 28,080 rpms.
    The difference is the Castle 2400kv (being a larger can) will take taller gearing without getting as hot, gearing ratios are important; smaller pinion and/or larger spur = less speed more low end power, bigger pinion and/or smaller spur = more speed but also heat.
    Keep in mind the larger motor has a lot to do with it; if you took a 540 can 2400kv and geared it higher it would get hot just as your velineon does.

RC poster
    I changed it from the stock 13 tooth pinion to a 18 tooth pinion before I ran the el sob. Are you saying I should go higher? Thanks for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by 3357 View Post
    I changed it from the stock 13 tooth pinion to a 18 tooth pinion before I ran the el sob. Are you saying I should go higher? Thanks for the reply.
    I'd go to a 20 tooth pinion and 50 tooth spur to start with.
    Both my 2400 Castle's are in 2wd's right now and geared 23/56 and the other 22/47; both are monsters with that motor.
    The bigger can will allow you to gear it higher without as much heat, the 2400kv can still get warm however if pushed enough.
    I believe El sob run dual fans on all or at least a few of his systems.
    Keep in mind the funny car was limited to 3s and would run 70mph from what I understand.
    Heres a link to help you estimat what speed to get from what gearing and power levels.
    http://www.radiocontrolinfo.com/info...ar-calculator/
    I believe the internal gears are 13 pinion (rear diff pinion) and 37 tooth spur (ring gear); just fill in the other info and you'll get a fairly close estimate of finial speed up until the 50 mph range, after that wind and other resistance inter the equation.
    Last edited by billy-bones; 11-26-2018 at 05:54 AM. Reason: Added link

RC poster
    Thanks for the reply Billy Bones, i will give it a shot.