RC poster

Question Looking for advice on vintage tmaxx .15

my father recently gave me his vintage tmaxx with a blown up OS .15 engine and a missing pull start because i am wanting to get into nitro and always liked his, its about as old as me (17 years) and i am looking to put a traxxas 3.3 in it and am wondering how simple this is. im looking at TRX5407 as it claims drop in compatibility but will it be that simple? thanks, ~Chad.

RC Enthusiast
    Yes, installing the motor is quite simple, you will just need to experiment with gearing and carb tuning which gets a little more finicky especially if you buy a brand new motor which is going to require "break in". Not knowing what exact gearing you're going to run to start with, makes break in more difficult since your going to playing with a lot of variables at one time. There are quite a few "slightly used" 3.3's out there that have already been broke in, and are cheaper to start with so look around at that as well. Good luck.

If it originally came with the .15 (rotary carb), you'll need to get the conversion kit for the servo to work with the slide carb found on the 2.5 and 3.3. Also, the .15 engines came with side exhaust so you'll need to get a header and pipe. Traxxas sells part number 4900 but I don't see it on their site but others I do. What you'll really need are the linkages, bellcrank and header so if you can purchase those separately and then get a better pipe than the plastic one you'll be okay. Just be advised that the drive train will need to be upgraded as well to handle the additional power of the 3.3.

https://traxxas.com/sites/default/fi...Conv%20(1).pdf
    Last edited by Double G; 05-29-2018 at 08:00 AM.
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    Put in a HPI 4.6 engine! hehehehe
    $+RC+more$+friends+more$=FUN!
    YouTube: EvHexRC1

RC Competitor
    My opinion stick with the Pro .15. Speed isn't everything and the 3.3 will be a monster on a short chassis narrow arm t-maxx. The pro 15 will move the maxx along well enough plus you wont have to spend money on the conversion kit. Like double g said the 3.3 will shred the stock axles and diffs pretty quick.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by OS15CVPower View Post
    My opinion stick with the Pro .15. Speed isn't everything and the 3.3 will be a monster on a short chassis narrow arm t-maxx. The pro 15 will move the maxx along well enough plus you wont have to spend money on the conversion kit. Like double g said the 3.3 will shred the stock axles and diffs pretty quick.
    So, when then stock stuff breaks, upgrade it! That's what GrunclePug is doing with his engine!
    $+RC+more$+friends+more$=FUN!
    YouTube: EvHexRC1