RC Qualifier

finally in the air again!

wow, first time I have flown in a year but flew my Aton today. just one flight in fast mode, but gotta start somewhere. I cant believe how much I have missed this. even in fast mode I had so much fun. im rusty, very rusty, but it performed flawlessly... smooth, stable, and dead on accurate.

for now, just basic circuits and banking exercises and wont go back to expert mode for a while... but at least im flying it again.

I lost my original 3000mah battery. it wouldn't even register a charge and was puffed badly, but my other one and the two 4000mah bats are good. cycling them periodically definitely helped but the original was just puffed too bad to save.
    Fly fast, Fly hard, and forget about the outcome.

RC Qualifier
    Cool , Welcome back !

I've got to get back in the air. The laws here changed significantly, and according to maps ALL of my usual flight areas are now off limits.
    I've always been a very careful flyer, and conscious of the people and pets, and property around me, to the point of landing if a kid came up to me, or if people were walking around etc
    Ugh... stupid people ruin it for everyone

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuckvoip View Post
    I've got to get back in the air. The laws here changed significantly, and according to maps ALL of my usual flight areas are now off limits.
    I've always been a very careful flyer, and conscious of the people and pets, and property around me, to the point of landing if a kid came up to me, or if people were walking around etc
    Ugh... stupid people ruin it for everyone
    That's a real shame Dave... At the rate things are going, it won't be much different here.

Quote Originally Posted by spoonerrw View Post
    That's a real shame Dave... At the rate things are going, it won't be much different here.
    That sucks!
    I'll research locations again, but I bet it'll be a long drive.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuckvoip View Post
    That sucks!
    I'll research locations again, but I bet it'll be a long drive.
    I can fly outside my back door in an open area between the homes, but it is confined and I can't really open up my Aton. There are some soccer fields here in town but I doubt flying there would go over well. There is a private outfit flying air care choppers within half a mile from them. Nearest flying club is 25 miles away, so that's out. Confined will have to do for me.

Hope you find a good place to fly.

RC poster
    Canuckvoip,

I'm just south of the border from you, and just looked up a site that showed a list of the banned zone in the Vancouver area, and all I can say is ouch! I bet this is not uncommon in a lot of major cities and being new to this hobby, I'm frustrated by seeing the excessive crackdown on flying drones. I know it doesn't help, but the fact is, this is a hobby the general public couldn't care less about. To the average person, drones could be banned on the entire planet and they wouldn't blink twice. I know because I was one of those people a little over 6 months ago. I like gadgets and toys, but had a slightly negative view of drones and imagined they were annoying even though I'd never been around one. I equated the imagined noise to be much like a barking dog, something I'd rather not listen to. Then right before Christmas my wife and I were shopping for toys for the grandchild, and she stopped and pointed to some toy drones and asked me: "Are you sure you wouldn't like to try one? I'll get one for you for Christmas." I thought, what the heck, she bought me one for Christmas and I was an instant convert. What a blast! Well, after one of the brushed motors smoked itself dead, I ordered an Aton and here I am happier than ever. Absolutely love the Aton! I am so impressed with how easy the Aton is to fly and the ability to kick it up a notch with some practice (It can also be easy to CRASH if you get ahead of yourself).

I'm lucky because I live in a rural areas on 5 acres and can do some flying on my own property. There's also a great open space a couple miles from where I live and the local school district has some large fields to fly on too now that school is out for the summer.

Recently I installed the Be4UFLY app on my phone and was shocked to find that technically I'm just inside the 5 mile radius of a small heliport to the north. Now let me make it clear, I'm not advocating anyone break the law, but I continue to fly on my property, and I consider myself to ne a rule follower. I never fly over 100 feet in height or 500 feet in distance. The way I figure it is, unless I anger a neighbor who might possibly call a Sheriff, there's just about a zero chance I'll have anyone knocking on my door because of my flying. I stay far away from any houses so I don't expect that call to be made. Same goes for the open space area I fly, it has a - gated - paved road cutting through it that locals use for walking. There's huge open fields on either side of the road and when I see people walking my way, I send the Aton out at least 100 feet away and hover it using the air brake until they pass. If they are walking dogs, I make sure it's far enough and high enough away that the dogs don't even notice. So far I've had nothing but positive comments. I expect the local police have things way more important to do than bug a person flying in a reasonable manner as long as there's no complaint and I do everything possible to avoid that complaint.

I don't really expect the general attitude to change toward drones in the future because flying safely and with consideration of others never makes the news, but doing stupid things with a drone does. Like the person who just got convicted of flying a drone into the window of the Seattle Space Needle. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Anyway, I hope you find a place you can fly that isn't too far away.