RC poster

Help picking a vehicle

I apologize if this isnít the right place for this. I want to get a Traxxas vehicle and I really donít know which one....

Iím retired and fixed income... so I donít want the cha Ching version of anything. The VXL version looks great with the TSM and all, but I donít know if I need all that power. How do you know whether the basic, XL5 or VXL version?

I do not want something that I will outgrow in two months.

I will be 75% pavement, 15% grass and 10% dirt.

Iíd like something that is relatively durable. I understand of course if I high speed impact a curb that itís probably going to be a bad scene.

I Uber love buggy looks for some reason. I do not like the mega tall Bigfoot looking truck look.

Iíd like a decently quick vehicle but I donít think I need over 50 mph... my current RC is a WLToys 12428 so that is all I have to judge by.

With these criteria, what Traxxas is good for me?

Iíve been told Rustler is IT. Also Bandit and Slash and E Revo. For the buggy look I was told get the Rustler and put a Bandit body on it.

Again, I apologize for putting this in the wrong area and asking something probably asked 20 times already.
    Thank you for your advice.

RC Enthusiast
    I think if you went with the Bandit or Rustler VXL you will be more then happy, and have plenty of room to grow. Start with the basic NiMh batteries to get a feel for the vehicle you choose, you will have time to learn the basics of them, and they don't shred parts nearly as fast with NiMh batteries. Then as you get a feel for the speed, you can start playing with gearing ratios. This is the most fun for me as it relates to so many other "toys" that I play on...Dirt bikes, quads, cars, etc.... and you can see and feel the difference immediately with just minor gear up and gear down changes. Simple math, divide 54T spur gear by 18T pinion gear for example, and you're running a 3.0 gear ratio.... Change your pinion to a 20T and you're now running a 2.7 ratio which will give you more top speed, change pinion to a 16T and now you're running a 3.375 ratio which will give you low end, wheel popping torque..... Then when you're ready for the next step up, you can start doing you're reading and research on LiPo batteries and charges, and start with some nice Traxxas 2S batteries, then progress from there into the 3S Lipo world and beyond. When I got back into RC'ing I made the mistake of jumping right into ordering a brushless E-Revo, with dual 3S lipo batteries and knowing NOTHING about the details. I shredded parts, neglected my LiPo batteries by leaving them charged for extended periods, running them down after playing, tossing in the closest and moving on to the next fun for the day. Looking back, it was totally irresponsible, and I'm lucky I didn't burn my house down lol. There is a learning curve, and these machines are very complex over anything I'd used when I was a kid. There is a bit of science, research, reading, learning that goes into it, which now that I've taken the time, makes it a much more enjoyable hobby. These forums are awesome, and If you can't figure something out, chances are, the guys and gals on these forums already have and can offer loads of tips and advice. Hope that helps. Welcome to the madness.
    Last edited by Double G; 05-29-2018 at 08:14 AM. Reason: language

Rustler or Bandit would be for you. The XL5/Titan is a brushed motor system so you'll get good performance on a lower price. If you want more speed you can go with the VXL (brushless) system but to get the most out of it you'll need to get a lipo and compatible charger. They both sit on the same chassis but there are some differences at the corners. Even the Slash shares many parts with both of them. You can certainly download the exploded views of each and compare/contrast.

From what it sounds, the cheaper XL5 power train will be for you. You can get the whole package including battery and charger for around $200. If, down the road, you are looking for more speed you can Powerup to the VXL system (transmission is the same between brushed and brushless) and buy a lipo battery and charger.
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    I had the same problem to, "what kind of car do I want" I was originally wanting to get the xmaxx but budget for parts and the truck were over the top my next car to get was the slash 4x4 I've had it for 2 years now its so awesome and parts are cheap and takes an absolute beating even when i take it to the skate park rarely breaks. I would consider going to your local hobby shop and asking about your driving style and they can suit you with a good car. My suggestion is for a slash 4x4 because it is easy to manage and fix and easy to drive you can also tune your suspension for road and buy street tires. But if Price is a thing I would suggest to buy a 2wd stampede Vxl. (Plus 4wd is much easier to control rater than 2wd which spins in circles even with tsm)

Hopefully this helps

604Slash4x4
    GoneBashing

I agree with the bandit/rustler since you will be on pavement mostly but IMO they are not great in the grass. Golf course length grass they are fine but they run too slow and too hot (for me) in moderate length backyard grass or at a park on the baseball field. Different story with dirt. Get a VXL so you have it for when you will inevitably want it. The motor and esc are more durable as well. Use a 2S battery with a small pinion until you get the hang of it. For the sake of being different, check out the low center of gravity 2wd slash.
    Monster Baja Sla2h VXL
    Rustler VXL

Quote Originally Posted by 604Slash4x4 View Post
    I had the same problem to, "what kind of car do I want" I was originally wanting to get the xmaxx but budget for parts and the truck were over the top my next car to get was the slash 4x4 I've had it for 2 years now its so awesome and parts are cheap and takes an absolute beating even when i take it to the skate park rarely breaks. I would consider going to your local hobby shop and asking about your driving style and they can suit you with a good car. My suggestion is for a slash 4x4 because it is easy to manage and fix and easy to drive you can also tune your suspension for road and buy street tires. But if Price is a thing I would suggest to buy a 2wd stampede Vxl. (Plus 4wd is much easier to control rater than 2wd which spins in circles even with tsm)

Hopefully this helps

604Slash4x4
    GoneBashing
    I have to agree the slash 4x4 is an awesome vehicle but you can tune the suspension on all vehicles. If hes going to be 75% on pavement I would not get a stampede. The wheelbase is too sort and rolls over way too easily.
    Monster Baja Sla2h VXL
    Rustler VXL

I think you will find in time that finding places to run your R/C (up and down the block will get boring after a while). Your options really open up having something that is a bit more Off Road-ish. At first the power will surprise you and in 1 year if you are still into it yu will probably get the upgrade bug. Being a Traxxas that's fine, the sky is the limit when it comes to these R/C's and upgrades....

It does boil down to budget, honestly with a fixed income I'd recommend going with a Slash, if you can save up for the 4 X 4 version all the better for anything offroad. If you are set with mainly being onroad then 2WD Slash would be a good starting point. I can bet sure as rain that if you get into this hobby the interest will grow and then you will want more. You get the BUG and then you grab your wallet. So IMHO, a 4WD Slash with VXL and TSM would be worth saving up for..... Running costs are about the same once you've got your basics, batteries, charger, tools, etc.
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

RC Qualifier
    Go and get yourself a slash 4x4 VXL. This is what recommend to everyone getting into RC. This is your best bet. It is also a good option to have TSM as well.
    $+RC+more$+friends+more$=FUN!
    YouTube: EvHexRC1

RC poster
    Thank you all! Much food for thought!

RC Racer
    A brushed 2wd slash is good on pavement, grass, and dirt. Its also a good first rc and is very cheap. The parts are also very cheap and has great upgrade potential.
    https://traxxas.com/products/models/electric/58024slash or you could spend a bit more and get a Raptor. https://traxxas.com/products/models/...ic/ford-raptor

RC poster
    I would go with the Slash if it were my first R/C and I didn't want to be putting much money into it.

I have a rustler vxl. I love it, but handling isn't as predictable and the open wheel design is asking for front end repairs.

I strongly urge you go brushless from the start. You can save a few bucks by getting the 2wd vxl if you don't plan on tackling tall wet grass. The suspension can easily be adjusted just by using spacers, adjusting camber/toe, and changing shock oil weight. You don't need to spend a lot to have fun and dial it in!

Update us on what you get. Good luck!