Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    The driver seat
    Posts
    144

    Can run my truck off gasoline?

    Has anyone modified there trx 2.5 engine to run off gasoline? I want to use gas instead of nitro fuel because, its 10 times cheaper, you can get it anywhere, and it has a higher btu than methanol, so you make the same power while using less fuel.
    Last edited by Gru734; 06-01-2018 at 07:01 PM.

  2. #2
    Marshal Double G's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,566
    You'll need a spark plug, ignition system, etc. It is not a simple conversion and it will take a long time to recoup the costs by purchasing cheaper fuel. There is a company that converted to diesel BUT you have to run off their diesel fuel and not the $3.50/gallon you can find at the local station.

    The option may be to try to fit an HPI or Losi gasser into the Revo but those engines are quite larger and have not been all that reliable (engine/rod failures at break-in) or popular. In fact those two 1/8 trucks I believe are discontinued. Sure you can fill it with gas from the pump but you need to use their oil at $15/bottle so your $3/gal gas now became $18/gal mixed.

    If your concern is the cost of nitro then you may want to consider the electric side. Sure it has a high up front cost with batteries and a charger but in the long run a $60 battery will last longer than two gallons of nitro.
    The Super Derecho

  3. #3
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    The driver seat
    Posts
    144
    is their a way to allow it to run off of pump diesel?
    Mixed with oil of course.

  4. #4
    Marshal ksb51rl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    20,527
    Quote Originally Posted by Gru734 View Post
    is their a way to allow it to run off of pump diesel?
    Mixed with oil of course.
    No. Use the correct fuel for the engine. Period.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = °

  5. #5
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    The driver seat
    Posts
    144
    Ok thanks! (Just curious)

  6. #6
    RC Qualifier MAC FAB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    804
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    No. Use the correct fuel for the engine. Period.
    Otherwise you'd have to lower the compression ratio (without that you would get an interesting hole in the top your piston from detonation (running pump gas), VP c-16 will run you $20 a gallon to approach performance but now you have heat to dissipate, run an ignition/magneto/spark plug, and then jetting problems because of the figuring out the gas/oil ratio, lean vs rich. All that to make LESS power and run hotter (compared to a lesser % nitro mix which makes less power and heat than the higher proof stuff). Been there done that on full sized 2 stroke stuff 20 years ago. Then there are new safety considerations to consider..... Never ends. Full circle, you'll have to suck it up and pay the piper to dance like ksb55rl put in short form.

  7. #7
    RC Champion olds97_lss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Dekalb, IL
    Posts
    2,432
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    If your concern is the cost of nitro then you may want to consider the electric side. Sure it has a high up front cost with batteries and a charger but in the long run a $60 battery will last longer than two gallons of nitro.
    I'm not sure how cost effective that is either... what kind of life are you getting out of the packs you run? 1 year? 2 years? I'm starting to see packs taking longer to charge and not giving as much run time after a year of running my ERBE. I've had one drop a cell on me a month or so ago.

    To make electric competitive to the run time of nitro, you need enough packs to run all day while allowing packs to cool down between recharging or having so many that you can run for 3-4 hours without stopping.

    Sure, fuel costs $30 a gallon, but with 1/10th sized engines, 4-6 gallons can get you through a season of running and you can run for many hours at a time without thinking about it.

    With electric, you need at least 3 sets, perhaps 4 sets of packs to run concurrently all day if your allowing for cool down between recharging. Even with SMC 7400 2S packs, that's 8 * $43. And if your running them that much, odds are, they won't last much more than a year, so your at $340 a year for packs vs $180 for 6 gallons of fuel. Sure, you will have to factor in a new engine every couple of years if you run that much, so a 3.3 is $130/2=$65. $65+$180 (say $200 for glowplugs) your at $265 a year.

    I hope my packs last longer, but considering my first 4 are taking twice as long to charge and are losing run time, 12-18 months of running seems to be where they start failing on me.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

  8. #8
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    470
    Quote Originally Posted by Gru734 View Post
    Has anyone modified there trx 2.5 engine to run off gasoline? I want to use gas instead of nitro fuel because, its 10 times cheaper, you can get it anywhere, and it has a higher btu than methanol, so you make the same power while using less fuel.
    There are videos on Youtube of "glo fuel" engines converted to gasoline/oil mixture. However my thought would be an ignition system to fire the fuel at the correct time instead of using a glo plug ignition would improve performance and engine life but would be costly.

    Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Marshal ksb51rl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    20,527
    Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    I'm not sure how cost effective that is either... what kind of life are you getting out of the packs you run? 1 year? 2 years? I'm starting to see packs taking longer to charge and not giving as much run time after a year of running my ERBE. I've had one drop a cell on me a month or so ago.

    To make electric competitive to the run time of nitro, you need enough packs to run all day while allowing packs to cool down between recharging or having so many that you can run for 3-4 hours without stopping.

    Sure, fuel costs $30 a gallon, but with 1/10th sized engines, 4-6 gallons can get you through a season of running and you can run for many hours at a time without thinking about it.

    With electric, you need at least 3 sets, perhaps 4 sets of packs to run concurrently all day if your allowing for cool down between recharging. Even with SMC 7400 2S packs, that's 8 * $43. And if your running them that much, odds are, they won't last much more than a year, so your at $340 a year for packs vs $180 for 6 gallons of fuel. Sure, you will have to factor in a new engine every couple of years if you run that much, so a 3.3 is $130/2=$65. $65+$180 (say $200 for glowplugs) your at $265 a year.

    I hope my packs last longer, but considering my first 4 are taking twice as long to charge and are losing run time, 12-18 months of running seems to be where they start failing on me.
    I think there is more than the fair share of worst case scenarios here.^^^

    However, by far the worst of the worst would be to convert to a fuel for which the engine wasn’t designed or to an engine for which the truck wasn’t designed and not only incur major time and money expenditures but also find that the end result has poorer performance than what you started with.

    That all said, let’s try not to stray any closer to an electric vs. nitro debate.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = °

  10. #10
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    60
    The NV gx-40 rc airplane engine is based off of an rc nitro engine with a HIGHER compression ratio and a hotter glow plug. It runs plain gasoline and 2 stroke oil. OS later copied them and released the ggt 10. It uses a hot glow plug and runs off gasoline and 2 stroke oil.

    Based off of this I am attempting to convert a trx 2.5r over to gasoline only by changing compression, glow plugs, and fuel lines. Because I am running the stock carb I am going to try mixing 20% methanol to the fuel in attempt to make starting and tuning easier. The result should be twice the run time per tank and about $6 per gallon including oil.

    Many people here may not realize but I believe the fastest CDI ignition system will not work faster than 35k rpm. this is problematic Because the trx 2.5 and 3.3 both make peak power at around 38k rpm and can rev to around 50k rpm. because of this most rc car conversions would not work with a CDI system.
    Last edited by Bob2.0; 08-18-2019 at 02:12 PM.

  11. #11

  12. #12
    RC Champion olds97_lss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Dekalb, IL
    Posts
    2,432
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    I think there is more than the fair share of worst case scenarios here.^^^
    After 3 years of running electric, my packs do seem to only last about 18 months and I buy them 4-6 at a time. For how and where I run, I take enough with me to run for 3-4 hours as it's an hour drive each way.

    Been running my nitro revo there lately as well for about 1-2 hours at a time which takes 500-1000cc's of fuel (21TM).

    If pump gas didn't smell so bad, I'd look into a 1/5th scale again, but since I store my trucks in my house, pump gas stinks up the entire apartment for 2-3 days every time I ran my 5b back in the day. Was pretty cool to run for 45 minutes or so on a tank of fuel though. lol!

    I don't drive my nitro's like I used to. Now it's only a few times a year. Seems like my fuel is lasting me forever these days.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •