Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trx4 Sport!

RC Competitor

Trx4 Sport!

What do we think of the new TRX4 Sport!

If you haven't seen it, check it out on Traxxas's main page.
    TRX4 Bronco (Tactical) & Bronco, Rustler.

RC Competitor

RC Qualifier
    Just watched the video looks good, went under some major water lol now the grandson wants one.

RC Champion
    just checked it out. I really like the truck body. The price is going to hit it out of the ball park. No 2 speed, full time locking diffs, no inner fenders, Just what a lot of people are after. Looks like the same crappy steering servo, that's ok I still have a Savox spare. Same wheel base as the Bronco, very light, Looks like lots of accessories are coming including the inner fenders, light kit, travel rack etc. I think I'm going to have to get one of these. So much for saving for a rainy day.
    "Better Old and Devious than Young and Exuberant"

I expect to sell the heck out of these at my LHS. It's closest competitor, the Axial Deadbolt or the Honcho, is only $10, or $30 less. But those have plastic links, one piece axles that are fail prone, dog bone front drive shafts, plastic geared transmission, and don't even get me started on the pathetic radio they come with. The TRX-4 Sport is so much more for the money. It's got all metal geared trans from what I can tell, metal links, portal axles, inner fenders, etc. I foresee it killing it in the market.
    Is owning 27 RC's too many? No way!

Not into crawlers but I’m getting this!
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

RC Competitor
    I wat he’s the vid today too never thought of a crawler but this looks like a whole lot of fun��

As I've said on other forums, I love this. Sure, the body is generic, but it's one of the better looking generic bodies. Plus, most people change the body anyway.

The price is $30 less than the Axial Cherokee RTR and the Sport diff covers are red just like Axial's. I think Traxxas is going straight for Axial's jugular with this one.

Competition is good for us!

I like it, it is basically what a lot of people have already turned their TRX4s in to.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    I kind of like the body. I hope the bumpers would be better than the trx 4 bumpers. I can't stand the stock one on the front. I may shorten my wheelbase and run this body and those bumpers.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

RC Champion
    Anyone know if the transmission gearing is the same but locked in low speed and the portals are the same gearing but now locked? I will probably go with a 9t pinion anyway but just curious about the gearing. I also have a spare Holmes Hobbies Torque Master to drop in it. with its lighter weight and lower COG this thing should be a very capable scaler/crawler. Can't wait to see one in person.
    "Better Old and Devious than Young and Exuberant"

RC Competitor
    They don't seem to be cruising along very fast in the video. My guess is they are dedicated for crawling with low gears. Traxxas already has a set of single speed gears to make your 2 speed version to all low.

RC Champion
    Don't understand it personally. I just put my defender in low and go any where. Any one who says top heavy can't drive properly. 8 months old and steering servo is fine.
    2wd Slash VXL, 2wd Slash 9t , E Maxx 2200kv ,Trx4

RC poster
    This is a gut shot for Axial. I have a bunch of axial products and TraxxasLink products. My trx-4 is my go to crawler. Mine is heavily modified with aesthetics, a 2850 KV castle brushless system, brass, sound, lights, operable winch, bumpers, skids, and wheels. I had to replace the servo because the extra weight made turning at speed difficult when the front diff was locked. Part of that is because the RTR tires are so good (I actually bought an extra set).

I prefer the portals and think it’s a huge selling point. The real question is if Axial will make portals. My MST CFX-W eats the portal gears, and I drive it much more carefully than the trx-4 which is flawless. Right now the aftermarket is providing Axial aftermarket portals for $300 per axle. Clearly if you can have a truck for nearly the same price, it makes better sense.

This might be a pick up for me to add to the stable. I do have a sensored 3800 KV castle motor looking for a home...

RC Qualifier
    It's great to see that they're expanding their horizons a little bit more again even though it's just another body minus the goodies. What I like to see is a brand new scale truck for them to come out with besides the TRX 4

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by crazee horse View Post
    Don't understand it personally. I just put my defender in low and go any where. Any one who says top heavy can't drive properly. 8 months old and steering servo is fine.
    I completely understand it. When news first came out of the trx4, I said I hoped they offered a single speed, locked diff, less detailed body version to bring the price down for those who want to get a capable crawler but don't want to spend so much. This is perfect.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

RC Enthusiast
    I like it !
    Now what would be REALLY nice is to have a kit version of the Sport, WITHOUT any electronics or at least with no ESC and motor

I always thought that the locking diffs were a gimmick even back before the TRX-4 came out. It makes it wayyyy more compliczated to work on and now you have 3 servos to replace instead of just 1. I stripped 2 of those stupid micro servos and all I did was plug them in. Thats it! Sorry about the little rant but I still think the portal axels are cool
    Slash 4x4, Stampede 4x4, SCX10, Bearded Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    I like it, it is basically what a lot of people have already turned their TRX4s in to.
    Exactly what I did to my Bronco! But I now have the extras for the Defender. So now I have a Bronco Sport!
    Sla2hP4deXSummitRusty2TRX4Bigfoot#14TEC2.0Rally

Quote Originally Posted by crazee horse View Post
    This made me laugh. Apparently you don't side hill much. The Defender is top heavy. You can't argue that with any real basis or facts.

RC Enthusiast
    No need. I made my bronco basically like this. Lol. Just getting started on the body mods

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Yup. Me too. Lol. Bronco sport club.
    Quote Originally Posted by SummitonSlingrs View Post
    Exactly what I did to my Bronco! But I now have the extras for the Defender. So now I have a Bronco Sport!

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    This as a kit version would be perfect, does Traxxas have any plans to release a kit version of the Sport?

Traxxas Marshal
    Traxxas hasn't produced a kit for quiet some time, unfortunately.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Knight View Post
    This as a kit version would be perfect, does Traxxas have any plans to release a kit version of the Sport?
    The easiest thing to do is to get the TRX4 kit and the Sport body, get a set of spools and just lock the transmission into one gear.

Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool View Post
    Traxxas hasn't produced a kit for quiet some time, unfortunately.
    https://traxxas.com/products/models/electric/trx-4-kit

Traxxas Marshal
    Oh my! How did I ever miss that announcement!?!? Oh, right, I didn't look at it because I haven't had much interest in crawlers. Whoops! I don't think I've looked at this sub-forum until yesterday, either! I might have to pick one up some day. I'd love to build a new kit! The last time I built a kit was when I was able to get my hands on a NIB Villain kit nearly 10yrs ago.

A sport model kit would be nice, bringing down the price a little more and simplifying the truck a little. Though, admittedly, I'd prefer the remote locking diffs mostly for the cool factor. On the other hand, I do really like the new truck body and its future accessories.

RC Competitor
    I got to see one today! The body is nice and the lexan is thick like the tactical, not thin like the bronco. Was still a hefty truck without the bells and whistles. A nice rig of you haven't gotten one and want to crawl!

Traxxas Marshal
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeinmi View Post
    I got to see one today! The body is nice and the lexan is thick like the tactical, not thin like the bronco.
    Nice! The body certainly looks cool to me! Especially once you throw on some of the extras that will be coming out!

RC Enthusiast
    I just pre-ordered mine. I've been wanting to pick up a crawler for a while.

RC Driver has made a couple really good videos on the Sport, he pretty much sold me on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGuDwYXdOAg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTcTmabpCVg&t=517s

RC Competitor
    I'm waiting to pre-order mine in the UK

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool View Post
    Nice! The body certainly looks cool to me! Especially once you throw on some of the extras that will be coming out!
    I wonder how long the accessories will take to show in the shops?

I'd be interested in the body of it will fit over the Bronco fitted chassis without buying more modifications parts.

RC Competitor
    I've been reading about over-driving the front or under-driving the rear, if I was only to fit one or the other, which would give the bets results?

RC Enthusiast
    Ŕ fantastica! belli gli accessori che puoi inserire.
    quando sarÓ in vendita in Italia?

i still like the defender body myself. I think the pickup looks like a chevy S10 or something like that. I really like the roll cage on my TRX-4 defender. I have rolled mine so many times and the body still looks good except for a bent/loose side mirror.
    Slash, Stampede,Craniac,X2 TRX4 ,ford gt 4 tec 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    I expect to sell the heck out of these at my LHS. It's closest competitor, the Axial Deadbolt or the Honcho, is only $10, or $30 less. But those have plastic links, one piece axles that are fail prone, dog bone front drive shafts, plastic geared transmission, and don't even get me started on the pathetic radio they come with. The TRX-4 Sport is so much more for the money. It's got all metal geared trans from what I can tell, metal links, portal axles, inner fenders, etc. I foresee it killing it in the market.
    I didn't even know this existed, and I just bought the Deadbolt.. lol. And I'm starting to second guess my choice... Dang It! should of got the Ford Bronco TRX-4.
    Oh well.. You live and learn. lol.

I think the idea of this sport TRX-4 is awesome, but idk.. To me, the body itself looks cool, but not something I would buy personally. If I were to get it, the body would be replaced. Either with the Bronco body, or a Chevy k-5 Blazer body.
    Last edited by Traxxas9008; 06-27-2018 at 09:07 AM.
    If you ain't getting dirty, you ain't having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by lotust251 View Post
    i still like the defender body myself. I think the pickup looks like a chevy S10 or something like that. I really like the roll cage on my TRX-4 defender. I have rolled mine so many times and the body still looks good except for a bent/loose side mirror.
    Quote Originally Posted by Traxxas9008 View Post
    I didn't even know this existed, and I just bought the Deadbolt.. lol. And I'm starting to second guess my choice... Dang It! should of got the Ford Bronco TRX-4.
    Oh well.. You live and learn. lol.

I think the idea of this sport TRX-4 is awesome, but idk.. To me, the body itself looks cool, but not something I would buy personally. If I were to get it, the body would be replaced. Either with the Bronco body, or a Chevy k-5 Blazer body.
    Overall I think the Defender body is one of the nicest looking on any RTR out there. But, it is just too heavy for the crawling I like doing. The body itself is nice enough, and a really good new-guy platform. My only real grip is the lack of being able to put lights on without making them look funky.

As far as accessories go, there are tons of items already out that will bolt right up.

RC Enthusiast
    From Amain Hobbyies' review. The Sport's body is 664g/23.4oz lighter. That's a HUGE difference.

RC poster
    It is common info for previous TRX owners to adjust servo endpoints (via TQi transmitter).
    This is to prevent oversteering into the axles. This clearly happens with the NON-adjustable TQ transmitter.
    I tried to avoid max turning, but servo already crapped out in less than 1 week.
    The fix is a transmitter upgrade???
    Hmm...not much value in the $$$ saved then.
    Any other solutions?
    Thank you kindly for any help here. It seems all TRX4 Sport owners are in for a few surprises..

RC Qualifier
    Hi everyone,
    I just picked up my Sport after trading my Defender/Tactical for another crawl/trail truck. Swapped out electronics to Holmes Hobbies 1700kV sensored motor with Mamba X ESC and a stronger servo (with metal horn). Also put on some metal beadlocks I had from another crawler. Truck is great on 3s with 15t pinion and stock spur. The weight loss is so apparent (compared to Defender); this truck is fantastic so far! Can't wait to add a few other pieces here and there, but so far so good. Well done Traxxas! I basically never used my 2 speed or the remote diffs so it wasn't needed for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Geodude074 View Post
    From Amain Hobbyies' review. The Sport's body is 664g/23.4oz lighter. That's a HUGE difference.
    That's insane. I knew the Defender body is heavy, but I didn't realize it was that heavy!

Thanks for sharing!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast