RC Competitor

Question Wire Gauge Question for E-Revo 2.0

I got a Castle System for my E-Revo 2.0. My question is about wire gauge. Itís a long story, but the 2200kv 1515 motor I purchased has 12 gauge wire soldered to the tabs. Then the ESC battery cables are 10 gauge but my LiPos have 12 gauge wire. Can I just keep the 12 gauge wire on the motor or do I have to switch to 10 gauge. I felt the wire coming out of the stock Traxxas 2200kv and it feels like 14 gauge so 12 should work, right?

RC Qualifier
    Did you buy the motor new or used, my Castle 2200kv has Castle 10avg stamped on the motor wire the same as on my MM2 esc.
    If it's used did someone change it to 12 avg or is it a knock off, not criticizing just asking all 6 of my friends running the 2200kv have 10avg on there's.
    When in doubt email Castle support.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dawg View Post
    Did you buy the motor new or used, my Castle 2200kv has Castle 10avg stamped on the motor wire the same as on my MM2 esc.
    If it's used did someone change it to 12 avg or is it a knock off, not criticizing just asking all 6 of my friends running the 2200kv have 10avg on there's.
    When in doubt email Castle support.
    I just bought it brand new. Castle’s new sensors 2200kv 1515 motor comes with either 10 gauge for the Mamba Monster or 12 gauge for the Mamba X. I got the 12 gauge because it is all my hobby shop had and he gave me a great deal for it. Now, does anyone have any input for me or shall we continue to question the authenticity of my motor?

You will be fine. Don't even worry about it. Chill on the snarkiness, it almost made me not wanna help you. We are all friends here.
    Last edited by nickruger; 06-09-2018 at 06:29 AM.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by nickruger View Post
    You will be fine. Don't even worry about it. Chill on the snarkiness, it almost made me not wanna help you. We are all friends here.
    Thank you for your help. I apologize about that but it was just not relavent to my question. I will just stick to the 12 gauge and swap over the bullut connectors to 6.5mm so it fits into my Mamba Monster X. Thanks! Have you guys ever messed with the punch control on the Mamba’s? Is it a good idea to use if I am using high speed gearing?

Quote Originally Posted by hashemio View Post
    Thank you for your help. I apologize about that but it was just not relavent to my question. I will just stick to the 12 gauge and swap over the bullut connectors to 6.5mm so it fits into my Mamba Monster X. Thanks! Have you guys ever messed with the punch control on the Mamba’s? Is it a good idea to use if I am using high speed gearing?
    You can fine tune it, but if you are planning on running it sensored you'll likely find you don't need to. I run that system in something else and it is extremely smooth and controllable. It is a night and day difference in "harshness" of throttle punch compared to the stock vxl6s system. That's one of the best benefits of sensored motors.

RC Qualifier
    I just bought it brand new. Castle’s new sensors 2200kv 1515 motor comes with either 10 gauge for the Mamba Monster or 12 gauge for the Mamba X. I got the 12 gauge because it is all my hobby shop had and he gave me a great deal for it. Now, does anyone have any input for me or shall we continue to question the authenticity of my motor?
    If I offended you I apologize (your own words asked about wire gauge) I stated I am not criticizing you I was just asking a question.
    I have never seen one without 10avg on it (doesn't mean they don't exist i haven't seen one).

I didn't answer on the would it be ok question is if the wire was supposed to be bigger then the 12avg (that's why I said contact Castle to cover my butt) and I said it was ok and something went wrong I'd feel awe full.

Thank you nickruger, I've read enough of your posts and completely trust your judgement.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dawg View Post
    If I offended you I apologize (your own words asked about wire gauge) I stated I am not criticizing you I was just asking a question.
    I have never seen one without 10avg on it (doesn't mean they don't exist i haven't seen one).

I didn't answer on the would it be ok question is if the wire was supposed to be bigger then the 12avg (that's why I said contact Castle to cover my butt) and I said it was ok and something went wrong I'd feel awe full.

Thank you nickruger, I've read enough of your posts and completely trust your judgement.
    its okay, I apologize for being grumpy. I was having a lot of trouble with my Mamba Monster X not calibrating earlier and I was just grumpy.

Update, I ended up having the LHS solder 10 guage and I drove it on stock gearing and it felt so AWESOME with the sensored motor. I felt like I was not even unlocking half of the motor's potential so I am going to try to check temps and run some different gearing.

RC Qualifier
    its okay, I apologize for being grumpy. I was having a lot of trouble with my Mamba Monster X not calibrating earlier and I was just grumpy.

Update, I ended up having the LHS solder 10 guage and I drove it on stock gearing and it felt so AWESOME with the sensored motor. I felt like I was not even unlocking half of the motor's potential so I am going to try to check temps and run some different gearing.
    Not an issue and were all good and I'm glad everything is working out and your up and running, have fun I'm envious no 2.0's in our neck of the woods yet but I did get to see one of my bud's with his UDR and that thing is insane on 6s lol.

RC poster
    Wire gauge in a circuit will be as good as its weakest link. For example 10 and 14 mix the complete circuit from battery to esc if it is a close loop of a type will be "technically" 14 gauge transferring power. With the short burst and running on bashing cars it is so short of a distance that as stated before above that it will work just fine. If you feel concerned just check the temps of the 14 gauge wires after many runs and see how hot the wires are and address it then. But again with the short distance these wires are I would think you are fine.

I just bought it brand new. Castle’s new sensors 2200kv 1515 motor comes with either 10 gauge for the Mamba Monster or 12 gauge for the Mamba X.
    Any idea why they come with different gauge wire?

Now I want to go look at the MMX in my savage to see what it has...

Appears my MMX has 10AWG on both the motor and esc wire.

Maybe they changed that since Christmas as I think that's when I got mine.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC Qualifier
    Higher voltage is carried easier through a larger fine strand wire. This may be the case for the 2 ESCís. The larger one will most likely have larger gauge wire and larger bullets as well possibly. But wire gauge is a big importance when dealing with such high voltage such as 25.2-34vdc approx. That is a lot of voltage and the amperage is pretty high for such a compact battery setup. I could be totally incorrect who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by 222 View Post
    Higher voltage is carried easier through a larger fine strand wire. This may be the case for the 2 ESC’s. The larger one will most likely have larger gauge wire and larger bullets as well possibly. But wire gauge is a big importance when dealing with such high voltage such as 25.2-34vdc approx. That is a lot of voltage and the amperage is pretty high for such a compact battery setup. I could be totally incorrect who knows.
    Both the MMv2 and MMX are 2S-6S rated. I believe the MMX is just more adjustable, has logging and is sensored capable. Just seems odd they would have smaller wire on the more "capable" of the two.

I can't tell what's on my revo with the heat shield stuff. The battery wires on it are 10AWG as well. It has the stock esc which I think is a MMv2 under the Traxxas shell.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

It might be as simple as some cost savings for castle too. The mamba x combo is intended for extreme 10th scale applications. Most people wouldn't bat an eye at 12g wire going into their slash running 3 or 4s, it's pretty sufficient.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by nickruger View Post
    It might be as simple as some cost savings for castle too. The mamba x combo is intended for extreme 10th scale applications. Most people wouldn't bat an eye at 12g wire going into their slash running 3 or 4s, it's pretty sufficient.
    I think you guys are not on the same page. Mamba X as nick talked about is not a Mamba Monster X. Theyíre two completely different things.

RC poster

Is the leopard motor still running cool?

so is the leopard motor that you fitted still running cool, or would you go with a lower kv?