RC poster

newb question...

hello, I bought a prerunner. So far I'm loving it. My only complaint is the factory battery drains to fast. I'm thinking about getting a battery that will last longer. Anyone have a suggestion and tips? Tia

The Traxxas 2s lipos work well I use them, though I have a brushless system in mine, it's .2 more volts, so wouldn't make that much of a difference in speed, but will last waaaaaaaaaaay longer. the battery never loses charge as it's running, so the system will over heat very easily, and will need a motor fan.
    Doesn't need to be fancy. Just needs to run.

Traxxas Marshal
    You could always buy another battery pack to keep the fun going as well. The Traxxas series 1 pack is cheap and works well.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Competitor
    Agree with cooleocool, the packs are cheap and small. Keep two in your back pocket when you go out.

Traxxas Marshal
    ^Just watch your temps if you're doing back-to-back batteries.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool View Post
    ^Just watch your temps if you're doing back-to-back batteries.
    Agreed, or move to Northern California.

What I did was a bought a motor fan.https://www.amazon.com/Integy-Hop-up...tegy+motor+fan I bent the bottom part of the heatsink to fit the motor, and I slid it on from the back of the motor. It works best when you don't have the cover on, and the air is blowing on the motor, rather than away. When you don't have the cover and it's blowing at the motor, the fan blades can fall out if you flip it over hard, and to prevent that, I bent a paperclip around the screws, and tightened them.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by PecosBill View Post
    What I did was a bought a motor fan.https://www.amazon.com/Integy-Hop-up...tegy+motor+fan I bent the bottom part of the heatsink to fit the motor, and I slid it on from the back of the motor. It works best when you don't have the cover on, and the air is blowing on the motor, rather than away. When you don't have the cover and it's blowing at the motor, the fan blades can fall out if you flip it over hard, and to prevent that, I bent a paperclip around the screws, and tightened them.
    I may try this, thanks for the tip.

You're welcome. I had this brushless motor that was very small, it was a Hobbywing EZrun system, and the motor was really tiny, and overheated all the time, so I got the fan for it, and it never overheated after that. I ended up switching systems, to a Hobbywing Quickrun system, which was a lot slower and didn't heat up as much, and is about the size of the stock system. The old system went way to fast, and at full speed, I couldn't control it at all, and it was flip over real easily, and it looked like the front end was gonna lift off the ground. It was going faster my older brother's 1/16 Slash 4x4 vxl, which he always ran on 3s, to make it go 50+ Now it goes just about as fast as the Slash, and it is controllable at full speed