RC Qualifier

I hate how Traxxas has wire mesh for the motor to esc wire.

Why? Whyyy. Why can’t you just use standard maxx 10 gauge cable on this 2200kv motor or 12 gauge for the vxl 3s and whatever the others have. Yes, it looks cooler, but in my experience the durability is awful. E Revo 2.0 motor before was about a month old and motor wires already started fraying. If it had maxx cable, I bet this would’ve never happened... nothing has been there to cut them, just the angle the motor on was stressing the cables. Thumbs down!

What vehicle is this on? E-Revo or UDR?
    Slash 4x4, Stampede 4x4, SCX10, Bearded Dragon

Never mind obviously i cant read its a E-Revo
    Slash 4x4, Stampede 4x4, SCX10, Bearded Dragon

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Iansprouse1 View Post
    Never mind obviously i cant read its a E-Revo
    Yah I’m specifically talking about e revo, but it’s on almost every single Traxxas product. I had issues with my slash 4x4 vxl 3s as well.

RC Qualifier
    Yep their wiring has very soft coating i suppose you could say. Some good heat shrink will cure the issue, but it would be nice if they used proper coating that wasn’t so soft per say.

RC Qualifier
    That’s the problem it broke right out of the rubber gromit so I need to remove that to get the heatshrink to cover it.

RC Qualifier
    That is a bad deal. Not sure why they make the wires so short that they end up getting messed up from being stretched. Not sure how to remove the rubber grommet that is at back top of motor. I know there is loss with wires, but I don’t think another 1/4”-1/2” would hurt. That and use some better coating for the wires.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 222 View Post
    That is a bad deal. Not sure why they make the wires so short that they end up getting messed up from being stretched. Not sure how to remove the rubber grommet that is at back top of motor. I know there is loss with wires, but I don’t think another 1/4”-1/2” would hurt. That and use some better coating for the wires.
    Yah. And even if I was able to get heatshrink on the wire and knew how to take the grommet off, now the heatshrink would make the base of the wire start out higher from the motor, and that’d create even tighter wire that’ll just rip right above the heatshrink!

RC Qualifier
    Let me just give an update to this thread as Traxxas clearly isn’t paying attention to a very frustrating issue.
    After replacing that motor (because it blew up for no reason and they didn’t warrenty it!!!! The magnets literally cracked it looks like it was hit with a hammer, clearly overheating wasn’t the problem, I never even let that motor pass 190. Anyway... I’ve since then put in a hobbystar 2000kv and they have actual normal person rubber wire insulation. NOT the unnecessarily weak and expensive weird mesh the Traxxas ones use! Haven’t had any of the wires rip at the gromit and they look brand new! Not even stretched. And the main reason I want to bring light of this is because I’ve been seeing a lot of e revo vxl’s go up on eBay, every single 1 has a few motor cables completely frayed at the gromit. Listen Traxxas. It’ll save you money by not using this weird insulation and it’ll be more durable!!!
    Last edited by 3_rolls; 12-03-2018 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Language edit

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Peeeenuuutt View Post
    Let me just give an update to this thread as Traxxas clearly isn’t paying attention to a very frustrating issue.
    After replacing that motor (because it blew up for no reason and they didn’t warrenty it!!!! The magnets literally cracked it looks like it was hit with a hammer, clearly overheating wasn’t the problem, I never even let that motor pass 190. Anyway... I’ve since then put in a hobbystar 2000kv and they have actual normal person rubber wire insulation. NOT the unnecessarily weak and expensive weird mesh the Traxxas ones use! Haven’t had any of the wires rip at the gromit and they look brand new! Not even stretched. And the main reason I want to bring light of this is because I’ve been seeing a lot of e revo vxl’s go up on eBay, every single 1 has a few motor cables completely frayed at the gromit. Listen Traxxas. It’ll save you money by not using this weird insulation and it’ll be more durable!!!
    Well my master plan was to force someone special to read my post and sacrifice an infraction for the greater good of Traxxas 2200kv users. Strike taken, no words. Guess it was my fault for trying to change stuff in the first place..

RC Racer
    So under the mess is bare wire???

I wonder if we should heat shrink the wires before they fray, as a strain relief....

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by REVO-KN-EVIL View Post
    So under the mess is bare wire???

I wonder if we should heat shrink the wires before they fray, as a strain relief....
    Yeah. The only issue is it’s really hard to find heat shrink that’ll clear 6.5 bullets and still be tight as the gromit. Not that it matters, because the wire gets messed up IN the gromit too, therefore impossible to get heatshrink in there to repair it without taking the gromit off. But even if you did that, the wires are so tight that’ll make em even tighter and rip them at the top of the heatshrink.