Thread: Which TRX-4?

Which TRX-4?

Hey guys,
    With tax time coming up I'm looking at buying a TRX4 but not sure which one .

I was set on the Discovery but I haven't read too many good things about it, bad CG, body height, rear wheel weight, poor servo.

The Tactical truck looks to much like a toy, the Bronco seems a good truck but I couldn't bring myself to buy anything Ford related, I just couldn't do it.

The new Sports model seems pretty good but only one speed and you can't lock the diffs like the Discovery apparently.
    It looks plasticy but from what I've seen on YouTube under the body is a fair bit of metal including links.

So I don't know which way to go.
    Any advice and experiences would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Slash 4x4 that's basically been rebuilt from the ground up and everytime I go for a spin something seems to break or come loose.
    So looking at something a bit more sedate.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Traxxas Marshal
    Have you thought about buying the kit version and adding your own body?
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

Not sure what bodies are out there, I've only seen the Proline Jeep one and it looked like a lot of work to make it work.
    Is the locked diffs and variable speeds a big feature, like do people actually use them?
    I'm still leaning towards the Sport but it won't have those features but I also don't know if I need them.

RC Qualifier
    I vote Sport.

It cracks me up when people say RCs look plasticy. News flash - RCs are mostly plastic! High quality plastic is fine on RCs. With that being said, the TRX-4 has metal in all the right places.

Get the body you want. If you don't like any of the bodies get the cheapest one, sell the body, and get a new body.

Or build the kit.

RC poster
    i bought the defender model, if you absolutely have to keep the spare tire and other stuff on the back then i suggest adding weight to the front bumper and i added weight on the chasis. Took the spare tire off the other day and it's like a new truck. might mount it to the roof rack and try that, i was in the same dilema as you but the sport wasn't available yet and the defender is badass

RC Racer
    I would get the Defender, and put a brass portal cover/steering knuckle set up on it.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/samix-t...4412c4/p709373

It would be very capable after adding something like this.
    It's plenty fun stock, and does really well.

You could always change the body to the Proline Jeep Wrangler Unlimited body later on for even more performance.

Quote Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
    It cracks me up when people say RCs look plasticy. News flash - RCs are mostly plastic! High quality plastic is fine on RCs. With that being said, the TRX-4 has metal in all the right places.

Get the body you want. If you don't like any of the bodies get the cheapest one, sell the body, and get a new body.

Or build the kit.
    Wow, thanks Jato for letting me know most RC's are plastic, would never have guessed.
    Some don't look it, some do, that's my point you obviously missed being in a hurry to be negative.
    Why bother replying, did you just want another post on your total?
    To everyone else thanks for the replies, i5saw Proline have a new Ford Raptor TRX4 body coming which didn't look too bad.
    I know it's a Ford and it kills me but it did look good.

RC Qualifier
    After owning the 3 current models (Defender, Tactical, and Bronco) They all share alot of similarities. All of them suffer from a weak steering servo as its the same servo in every model. General trail use the Servo is fine, but get the tires in a bind an it simply wont even move.

All of them with the locking diffs can have servo failures. I have seen who knows how many complaints about the diff locker servos..however...I haven't had a single one go bad on any 3 of my trucks. And I use them quite a bit.

The Tactical and Defender are the same minus bodies. I think the Tactical was a way to have a light weight body on the Defender chassis setup.

The Bronco has the shorter wheelbase like most other crawlers/trail trucks. And definitely has some better weight distribution. Maybe its just me but my Bronco feels more front heavy than my Defender. AS of right now..my Bronco is my go to truck. I have used it way more than the other 2 by a long shot. It see's mud, water, dust...whatever lol.

Now..The sport...I will def be getting one lol. I love the simplicity of it. Only wish they would have included the inner fenders but they are cheap enough it dont bother me lol. I will probably end up getting the sport and maybe adding the 2 speed in it. I have gotten used to having the 2 speed in my others. Its nice to be able to zip down the trails, but than grab low gear when getting to a good set of obstacles.

Traxxas Marshal
    Quote Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
    It cracks me up when . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm68 View Post
    Wow, thanks Jato for letting me know . . .
    Play nice folks, we are all entitled to our opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Perkul8r View Post
    Now..The sport...I will def be getting one lol. I love the simplicity of it.
    Hopefully they make a kit version of the Sport!

Id love to have the bronco, but at the moment, my budget wont allow it lol. Really thought about the kit as well. Love to build/piddle with the trucks, again the same boat lol. The sport looks to be a good start point. Plus theres always that option of the 2speed n inter fenders. Im tryin to save upy pennys lol n tryin to sell of parts n a truck i dont need. Hopefully i can get one soon. Its nice to slow down n take in the scenery while doin some crawlin

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk

Traxxas Marshal
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyBama View Post
    Hopefully i can get one soon. Its nice to slow down n take in the scenery while doin some crawlin
    Yes. When R/C was my primary hobby, I really enjoyed heading into the woods with my E-Maxx or Sledge Hammer and just enjoying going slow. I'm not too sure I have many places like I used to for that sort of driving any more, though. But if they put out a Sport kit, I'd probably buy one quite quickly!

Wow, thanks Jato for letting me know most RC's are plastic, would never have guessed.
    Some don't look it, some do, that's my point you obviously missed being in a hurry to be negative.
    Why bother replying, did you just want another post on your total?
    To everyone else thanks for the replies, i5saw Proline have a new Ford Raptor TRX4 body coming which didn't look too bad.
    I know it's a Ford and it kills me but it did look good.

You're welcome!

I vote defender. Its the most durable with the EXO cage. Mine has rolled and landed on the driveway and concrete so many times. the only thing thats messed up is the side mirrors. I would really hate to mess up that nice bronco body :-)
    Slash, Stampede,Craniac,X2 TRX4 ,ford gt 4 tec 2.0

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by lotust251 View Post
    I vote defender. Its the most durable with the EXO cage. Mine has rolled and landed on the driveway and concrete so many times. the only thing thats messed up is the side mirrors. I would really hate to mess up that nice bronco body :-)
    Same as you, I vote for defender, without the exocage my truck would be really damaged.

I love my trx4 with defender body, I love the look of it.
    One Stampede and one TRX4

RC Competitor
    other than the stripped down sport, they're all really the same rig. same esc, same motor, same servos, same axles. if i had to do it all over again, i would have just started with a kit version (of course that wasn't an option when i got my defender) i mean, how many people keep the stock boy on rc's anyway right? there are piles upon piles of crawler bodies out there, and any of them can be made to work with the trx4 chassis with a little bit of effort. my defender body came off day 3 in favor of a cherokee body built to look like my 1:1 rig.

RC Enthusiast
    SI bought the kit... One part of me wishes I didn't, the other is glad I did. You get zero discount for assembling this thing yourself because you still need a body which runs 1/2 the discount price. Then you consider the remaining $40 discount and it goes 100% to assembly.
    Prob there is many RTR setups have been found with bad gear meshs. If you build the kit yourself, you have only yourself ( and Traxxas for some random poor over size drill holes resulting in stripped out bolts) to blame.
    You also have full understanding of how everything works if you build it yourself. I'm glad I did but adding the body made life not so good.

I bought a Proline 1981 Bronco body and built my own light kit but the wheel wells rub so bad... I built a body lift kit for the front which resolved the wheel rub issue.

The Kit is fairly different from all models. It mixes goods and bads from each, the worst being the wheel wells mixed with the shock mounts. The other kits don't do this and you'd wish you didn't have it. The extra $80 for the Bronco is the best way to go because keep in mind a body costs $40-$60 at least. The Bronco has the best setup and you can buy a 2nd body to trash if you wanna keep your Bronco. Otherwise it's $150 minimum for the auth Bronco body so seriously, buy the built model and retune it as you need.

A joke from Traxxas for the kit vs. built kit price.

Body Mount Extension:
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2976303

Proline 1981 Bronco Light Buckets:
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2980997

A couple notes: I do not believe the kit is marketed as a money-saving alternative; and keep using language like that and you will quickly find yourself unwelcome here. -ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 07-04-2018 at 10:21 PM.

RC Racer
    Hey Storm68! How deadset are you on getting a crawler? Ive been eyeing all of the trucks (except the tactical) but I dont know if Ill like crawling. If youre not 100% maybe just get the sport and go from there?

RC Enthusiast
    If you like the sport but don't like the one speed trans,you can actually buy a two speed conversion kit.but it's suprisingly expensive and you'll need a new transmitter :/.

RC Enthusiast
    I have a kit turning up today (hopefully) I went for the kit as I am not a fan of the bodys available and I am wanting to do a cage mod of some sort rather then a body.
    With that extra money saved I put it into buying a better steering servo, horn and got a battery. Then when I get it I will have a look at measuring up for a cage. Being the kit, I wont be getting it out the box and taking it out within a few minutes so there is no rush for a body.
    I like going the kit route so I know exactly how everything works for future mods,maintenance and repairs. You cant buy that experience with an rtr. Not saying there is anything wrong with an rtr ;-)

RC Racer
    I chose the Bronco cause its lighter, and looks cooler than the other 2 RTRs. I despise Fords, but im living with it until i can fit up a K5 blazer body. There are tons of body options out there. My LHS has at least 50 on the shelf for 313mm WB.

RC Enthusiast
    hi, may i know what's your final decision?

RC Qualifier
    Not sure what bodies are out there, I've only seen the Proline Jeep one and it looked like a lot of work to make it work.
    Is the locked diffs and variable speeds a big feature, like do people actually use them?
    I'm still leaning towards the Sport but it won't have those features but I also don't know if I need them.

You could look into Axial Chevy Blazer (12.0" Wheelbase)if that's more your style: http://www.axialracing.com/products/ax31554
    Last edited by Sprinkletron; 09-11-2018 at 09:44 AM.
    Guess who's back.
    Back again.

RC Racer
    Probably too late to join the party, but for anyone who has the same question, here are my thoughts.

I have the Defender (mine) a Tactical (my son's) and a Sport (my wife).

I love the Defender because you can mount all kinds of accessories to it, but it is the worst as far as crawling performance (which I don't mind too much, since I tend to trail hike with mine).

The tactical offers the same features (2 speeds, differential switch, cruise control, etc.), with slightly better crawling performance, but it sucks for customization.

Internally, the tactical and defender are pretty much identical. The bronco (which I have no experience with) is slightly different, but it's still the same TRX-4 platform.

The Sport... my god does it perform really well! My wife, who has zero coordination, can crawl effortlessly with the sport. It does (or will) offer customization at some point, but who knows when. The simplicity of running locked diffs with one speed gearing is nice for multiple reasons. It also has much better battery life vs the other two (my estimates are probably around 20% better vs. the others).

If I were to get another TRX-4, it would be the sport. But if I had to pick only one, my love is with the Defender.

With all that said... I also have a Slash 4x4 (and a 2wd) and I use my TRX-4 90% of the time - trail crawling is so much fun and you can take these things to places that the Slash can only dream of going

Good luck!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Trailwalker View Post
    Probably too late to join the party, but for anyone who has the same question, here are my thoughts.

I have the Defender (mine) a Tactical (my son's) and a Sport (my wife).
    i am new ~ used to bash rc~ but wish that i would pick one crawler scale to join in~
    1 will be enough~ so far, trx4 was the best style i like~
    but i wish to pick the kits version, cause i am enjoying built up those kit myself.. gonna order the defender body with some accessories too~
    but the kits are 312mm wheelbase, so need a part : trx8057 to extended longer wheelbase to fit the defenders body..

RC Competitor
    get the bronco edition but ditch the body cause it has a shorter wheels base but then put a proline body on the truck plus the truck is bit cheaper cause of the registration on Land Rover company.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doT2KDrBNEg

RC Enthusiast
    I bought the grey Defender a couple weeks ago but also picked up both the Wrangler and Raptor bodies for it so I can use those while rock crawling and keep the nice defender body for trails and when its sitting on the shelf. I have a box full of upgrades to put on still, but I'm loving it so far. With what I've changed already it's a very capable crawler and love having the 2 speed. I just got a Futaba 7px so now I need to figure out how to program everything to work with the new radio....

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by supradude26 View Post
    I bought the grey Defender a couple weeks ago but also picked up both the Wrangler and Raptor bodies for it so I can use those while rock crawling and keep the nice defender body for trails and when its sitting on the shelf. I have a box full of upgrades to put on still, but I'm loving it so far. With what I've changed already it's a very capable crawler and love having the 2 speed. I just got a Futaba 7px so now I need to figure out how to program everything to work with the new radio....
    hi, i just order my red defender few days ago, but not yet reach me..
    may i know what you upgrade 1st? why do you need another futaba transmitter? the stock are useless?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by supradude26 View Post
    I bought the grey Defender a couple weeks ago but also picked up both the Wrangler and Raptor bodies for it so I can use those while rock crawling and keep the nice defender body for trails and when its sitting on the shelf.
    Dude, can you please share which bodies you bought (links) and tell us if they are drop on or need a ton of mods to work. I'm looking for a lighter body for my defender, but don't want to be modding stuff for an hour to get it on every time.

RC poster

Alternative bodies

Quote Originally Posted by Trailwalker View Post
    Dude, can you please share which bodies you bought (links) and tell us if they are drop on or need a ton of mods to work. I'm looking for a lighter body for my defender, but don't want to be modding stuff for an hour to get it on every time.
    Same here... can you please share some links?

RC poster
    I got the bronco last month and live it! Added weight to the portals, alloy axles.
    Pulling the trigger on trx 4 chassis kit this weekend, still researching for an open body Jeep Wrangler body.

RC Competitor
    Live in the now !! Get the trx blazer , and be right up with what's going on ! ( LOL ! )