RC poster

Other Aton plus cameras other than a gopro

With the price of gopros, I am wondering what third party cameras fit into the holder that people have been happy with.

RC poster
    I know this doesn't directly answer your question but I just picked up a pristine Gopro Hero 3 black with a bunch of accessories for $100 on the big, famous auction site. I too was looking at other cameras but decided for that price, to play it safe and get a camera I knew would work, and it does.

RC poster
    I was going to suggest the Git2 Pro pack, but one of my gorilla sized fingers caused a Bing search page populated with "Git2" in the search field to open another tab which showed retail prices as high as 3X more than what they could be puchased for a couple years ago. I'm sure there's another cheap alternative out there somewhere waiting to be discovered. If you think the predatory consumer electronics market of US goods by cheap chinese knockoffs is bad, the chinese do it to each other all the time as though it's a badge of honor to take someone elses R&D and sell a $1.99 clone of a $42.99 clone of a $79 clone of a $109 clone of a $199 clone of a $299 clone of a popular, well known $499 US made product. I'm suprised they don't eat their extra fingers and toes, the ones that arent particularly useful.

Getting back on topic, the Git cameras were a very inexpensive alternative to the WoePro a few years ago. Basically, just another incarnation of the never ending stream of no-name, dirt-cheap consumer electronics designed and marketed to cannibalize sales of well known, high(er) priced cameras that, imho were a tad bit too expensive to be hanging off an RC toy that is going to crash and which cost significantly less than the camera.

I want to emphasize IS going to crash, not IF....there's a subtle yet significant distinction between those two words that new RC pilots for some strange reason fail to grasp on their own but for most, will soon learn and will still remember when their 97yo.

The trauma of losing or smashing an expensive doodad that was just delivered earlier that morning by UPS is very unpleasant and unlikely to be forgotten. and there's another category that ups the trauma factor to a level where you not only think about it, it you off so bad you think about it in your dreams. Right up there with the experiences of combat, gunshot wounds, an IED going off not too far from the seat of your pants, and accidently throwing away enough cash to probably buy a used Predator UAV.

I cleaned out some trash, cups, McDonalds and other fast food debris during a stop on a road trip last year. After unpacking the van and wondering where I put a paper bag containing $19k in cash, the realization I'd accidently thrown it away two days before at a small town gas station 1400 miles away was, again, one of those lessons in life that i'll still be muttering about when I'm wearing a diaper, asking the same question every 15 minutes, and too old to remember my birthday or what century I was born.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Do you ever get the feeling you're being watched because if you do, I'll stop doing it"
    Last edited by Double G; 09-22-2018 at 05:12 AM. Reason: language - watch it!

RC Qualifier
    I've lost large sums of money ... But never by tossing it in the trash . Oh my !!
    i'm sure having a wad of cash in a paper bag is a story in it's self :-)

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I have an Akaso. It has the same footprint as a GoPro. 4k at a fraction of the price. They have comparisons of the two on YouTube

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by hemidoo View Post
    I've lost large sums of money ... But never by tossing it in the trash . Oh my !!
    i'm sure having a wad of cash in a paper bag is a story in it's self :-)
    Cash in a bag or in whatever isnít a big deal, Iím sure plenty (older folks would agree. Depends upon your perspective.

Youíd be surprised at how many travelers leave expensive stuff at airports, hotels, restrooms, taxis, in rental cars, etc.
    Last edited by aerangis; 09-28-2018 at 07:02 PM.

RC poster
    anyone know offhand what kind or payload the atons will carry, weight wise?