Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Check out FTD's factory works chassis:

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...er-Track-Build

He mentioned in the thread that they make them custom order. You can get in touch with them through FB. That cf chassis Grip has is boss, buy once cry once right?

As for speed...I'm not quite sure about that. The rusty2 is very rigid, which may be helpful for speed runs (I would think). If you look at how the rear shock tower is braced by the chassis side pieces you'll see how much more solid of a design than having the shock towers by themselves. The cf material is going to be the lightest material.

They're mostly the same as far as what's in the box. The one that was a bit different was the Factory Works. It came with some shock towers and something else in addition to the chassis. The others seem about the same. There was also an anza chassis I saw online. I think it was the Anza chassis where you need to purchase the steering posts and servo mount in addition to the chassis.

That chassis from FW is about as minimal as I've seen. Grips's xtreme racing looks more rigid (may be better for speed).

Tough call. Just throwing this out there...chuckworks also makes the SCB. It is a mid motor slash dimensioned g10 chassis. it comes with a buggy body ($20 value), and a rear wing mount. I think it is $110.

That g10 xtreme racing for $60 sounded pretty good. The cf is just in another league as far as cost and weight.

Look at your options, def contact factory works and ask what they have for your application. Take your time.
    Last edited by Synnergy; 08-11-2018 at 11:24 AM.
    MTFBWY

Wow, Thank you! Lots of information to take in. How much will a chassis affect speed though? Because after looking all this up, I'm kinda still set on the Rusty2 from ChuckworksRC. But if its going to affect my goal of 60 km/h, then I will definitely re-consider.
    But, as you said, I am going to take my time with this decision.

And I'll probably keep the SCB in mind for my Slash if I ever do a build on my Slash.

Now, with a speed run of 60 km/h in mind, do I need something more powerful then a 3s? or is the Velineon VXL-3s good enough...

Thanks!
    If you ain't getting dirty, you ain't having fun.

Sooo... I suddenly had the urge to buy something..

And I was looking into some other threads for tires. Yes, tires. I decided instead of buying paint to paint my tires, which would of cost around the same, I would just buy some new road tires. Well, I found some Bandito ST 2.2 Tires.
    https://www.duratrax.com/tires/2-2stadiumtruck.html

Placed the order and I'm excited for this. Looking into some other parts to order when I get some responses.

Thanks!

So, I am finalizing a cart full of stuff I'm getting to finish my Rustler, an I've decided on the Aluminum Blue Traxxas GTR shocks.
    However, I'm looking for Black springs to complete the shocks and I'm trying to figure out where to get some. ?

So, update time.
    After a lot of reading, I decided on the Chuckworks Rusty2. I have it ordered, yet it hasn't shipped yet.. A little bummed about that because it has already been 5 days. I feel like I should send an email about it, but I'll wait and see if it ships later today or early next week. What really sold me on it was Synnergy's build thread on it. It was extremely helpful and pointed out some flaws (very few), but solutions for them as well. Also, it was really helpful to know about the gearbox. I was considering buying another gearbox, but I'll stick with the RPM gearbox I have. Another thing I read was about the servo area. I have a savox servo in my cart and it was good to know that I would need to do a little "shredding" around the area.

Along with the Chassis, I have the tires ordered too. I seem to be having bad luck, because the tires were back ordered so they haven't shipped yet. But it all works out I guess. Haven't had a lot of time to work on the truck.

This is how its sitting so far:

(The three chassis' in the back are a Rustler, Slash, and Stampede... for those wondering. )

I took it apart a couple days after I ordered the new chassis. I wanted to get it prepared for the new parts and the chassis.

I'm super excited because this will be a huge change for the truck. I keep saying that after this, the project is done.. but is it ever done? I feel like eventually, I will be changing up parts. I want to change the A-arms to black.. Kinda give it more of a mean look.

Okay, so here is the list of what I have in the cart(s):
    Aluminum Steering Blocks
    Pinion and Spur Gear
    Savox SC-1258TG Super Speed Titanium Gear Servo
    Traxxas Velineon VXL-3s Brushless Combo
    Traxxas Aluminum GTR Shock Set (Blue) (Very hard to find)
    Anza Rear Shock Tower Kit (Carbon Fiber)
    Anza 3mm Carbon Fiber Front Shock Tower.
    Wheel Hubs

I really wanted to get some Carbon Fiber on the truck. I really like the look of it.

Ok, and one final question. I see that a lot of you usually get a different Receiver and Transmitter for your trucks. Whats a good one for when doing speed runs? Because I do want good range, and I'm not sure if the stock Traxxas Transmitter will cut it... It already cuts out at the end of my driveway. (its a somewhat longish driveway )

Alright, Thank you! Especially for all the help so far. You guys have been extremely helpful.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Traxxas9008 View Post
    So, I am finalizing a cart full of stuff I'm getting to finish my Rustler, an I've decided on the Aluminum Blue Traxxas GTR shocks.
    However, I'm looking for Black springs to complete the shocks and I'm trying to figure out where to get some. ?

So, update time.
    After a lot of reading, I decided on the Chuckworks Rusty2. I have it ordered, yet it hasn't shipped yet.. A little bummed about that because it has already been 5 days. I feel like I should send an email about it, but I'll wait and see if it ships later today or early next week. What really sold me on it was Synnergy's build thread on it. It was extremely helpful and pointed out some flaws (very few), but solutions for them as well. Also, it was really helpful to know about the gearbox. I was considering buying another gearbox, but I'll stick with the RPM gearbox I have. Another thing I read was about the servo area. I have a savox servo in my cart and it was good to know that I would need to do a little "shredding" around the area.

Along with the Chassis, I have the tires ordered too. I seem to be having bad luck, because the tires were back ordered so they haven't shipped yet. But it all works out I guess. Haven't had a lot of time to work on the truck.

This is how its sitting so far:

(The three chassis' in the back are a Rustler, Slash, and Stampede... for those wondering. )

I took it apart a couple days after I ordered the new chassis. I wanted to get it prepared for the new parts and the chassis.

I'm super excited because this will be a huge change for the truck. I keep saying that after this, the project is done.. but is it ever done? I feel like eventually, I will be changing up parts. I want to change the A-arms to black.. Kinda give it more of a mean look.

Okay, so here is the list of what I have in the cart(s):
    Aluminum Steering Blocks
    Pinion and Spur Gear
    Savox SC-1258TG Super Speed Titanium Gear Servo
    Traxxas Velineon VXL-3s Brushless Combo
    Traxxas Aluminum GTR Shock Set (Blue) (Very hard to find)
    Anza Rear Shock Tower Kit (Carbon Fiber)
    Anza 3mm Carbon Fiber Front Shock Tower.
    Wheel Hubs

I really wanted to get some Carbon Fiber on the truck. I really like the look of it.

Ok, and one final question. I see that a lot of you usually get a different Receiver and Transmitter for your trucks. Whats a good one for when doing speed runs? Because I do want good range, and I'm not sure if the stock Traxxas Transmitter will cut it... It already cuts out at the end of my driveway. (its a somewhat longish driveway )

Alright, Thank you! Especially for all the help so far. You guys have been extremely helpful.
    Integy has a black spring. It pains me to say that but they’re stiff and work well

Alright, Thank You!

Stuff is ordered!
    No spoilers.

Oh WOW! I am looking forward to this!!
    MTFBWY

Just some teasers for now:

The shock towers ended up being for the Slash 4x4. Misread it. Thought it was for the Slash 2wd. *facepalm*
    Perfect excuse for getting a slash 4x4 tho, right? ��

Waiting on one more package, and then it'll be installed hopefully by the end of this weekend.

**Wrong pic of the tire.. and a little too big. I apologize about that.

Ok, so the springs I had already for the Traxxas GTR Shocks wouldn't fit.. So I really don't know what to do. lol. Anybody have the link to either Blue or Black springs that will actually fit the GTR shocks?
    I would just buy some, but I'm afraid they won't fit. lol.

Thanks.

RC Racer
    Well I think you have blown past this being a budget build . I guess before you are done you will have no more vintage parts left built a whole new R/C from parts and still be left with parts you can rebuild again into a vintage rustler. Your build inspired me to buy a old rustler from Ebay. Mine will be kept mostly stock and used as a beater loaner (that's the plan for now anyways) spare parts from Ebay chop shops are cheap. Will not have a build log (for now) though it's just for fun. Just use spare electronics I have left laying around.

Before

Shortly after but moving further on

Keep building and keep the pics looking clean I can't keep my stuff clean spend too much time in the grass, dirt and running in the rain just don't bother to keep them looking nice and clean guess I'm lazy

Haha. This is my only clean truck. My others are very dirty and run in the dirt as well. This will be only for the road. lol.

Anyway, Great to inspire you! And definitely yes, Vintage ones are cheap to come by (usually) and mostly cheap for spare parts. That was my plan, to keep it stock.. but.. well.. As you all see, it is not stock anymore, and not a budget build.

And yeah, lol. I'll probably rebuild an old Rustler out of the spare parts for my nephew or something.

Anyway, Thanks for taking interest in the build. Its come a long way and although what I've done so far, hasn't been too big, this last upgrade will be. It'll be a completely new truck basically.

Ok, so sadly, things haven't gone the way I've wanted, but it's turning out good so far.
    So for a update I ended up having to replace the blue rpm gear box with a stock grey one. I'm kinda fine with that because I feel like the blue was a little to strong with the gearbox.
    Also, I haven't found Traxxas gtr springs, but I finally found a LHS that has Traxxas parts, so I'm going to swing by there someday and grab some springs for the shocks.
    Also, if u have read Synnergy's thread about chuckworks rusty2, you'll know it doesn't come with instructions. So the building process has been slow. Also, with school starting up, I barely have time to work on it.

Ok, that's all I have for now, but when I get some more done, I'll give some updates.

P.S. in one of the photos, u can see the body I'm working on for the truck.

Hey Y'all.
    Time to reveal my choice for the body.
    Rain stopped long enough where I was able to get the body down with a quick break this afternoon.
    I think for my first body, its looking really good.

Updates to follow soon.
    Thanks

Looking very cool.

That is looking goooooood!! I like those rear camber links, and the stock tranny case is the lightest case I have found. What happened to your blue rpm case? That body looks great, the whole thing is going to be awesome!! Good work and thanks for the pictures!
    MTFBWY

Quote Originally Posted by Trentbaby65 View Post
    Looking very cool.
    Thank You!

Quote Originally Posted by Synnergy View Post
    That is looking goooooood!! I like those rear camber links, and the stock tranny case is the lightest case I have found. What happened to your blue rpm case? That body looks great, the whole thing is going to be awesome!! Good work and thanks for the pictures!
    Thanks!

The RPM case was not fitting at all, and my dremel is broken, so I had no way to make it fit. I tried doing it by hand with a knife, but was not working at all. So after getting frustrated, I decided to just switch it out with another gearbox I had sitting around.
    I'm super excited for the body. Its my first body paint job, and I think it looks really good. I was originally going to do metallic black, but my LHS didn't have it, so I did just plain black. But I think I like the plain black much better.
    Next on the checklist is to finish the Chassis, so hopefully I'll have it finished by the time we get some dry weather around here. lol.

RC Enthusiast
    Nice! This really is turning out well

Quote Originally Posted by Bear2216 View Post
    Nice! This really is turning out well
    Thank You!
    I managed to get some work on it done tonight.
    However, I'm calling all people who have built the rusty2 for help.
    I have no idea what to do here:

So this is the ESC mount, but how do I secure it? There are 3 drill holes in total with no places to mount the ESC plate too.
    A response to this would be great. I'm stuck without a response about it.

This is how it looks so far. I haven't mounted the front yet. (Of course) Still have to do the front. Its very challenging putting this chassis together. Without Synnergy's build post, I'd be stuck. Still have to figure out how the front goes on. But hopefully it'll be finished by this week.

And for fun:

I threw it on my other rustler. Still haven't drilled the mounting holes... I'm trying to figure what drill bit size to use. Need to look it up.

Anyway, Thanks for following this build and for taking some interest!

I see what you are talking about. That longer pvc/plastic black rod that you have in the second picture needs to be installed between the L-shaped braces using the top screw. See the second picture below...I tried to focus on the black plastic rod. I used a longer screw so that it extends through the brace-chassis side piece-and into the rod itself.

Once it is installed, you may be able to use one of the screw holes that is already in the esc mounting plate, or you may need to drill a small hole. I think I did need to drill a small hole into the rod itself, I did this once it was mounted and secure.
    You may be able to fit your esc into that space behind the servo...you can see where I put that sw4...it barely fit.

EDIT: I forgot to add, you may need to add a few shims/washers so the rod sits "flush" against the chassis side pieces...if you don't, the side pieces will have to flex and deform when you tighten. I did add a few washers/shims to several spots iirc.

here's a pic
    Last edited by Synnergy; 09-12-2018 at 09:28 AM.
    MTFBWY

Ooh, I see. Ok. Thanks! So I attach the ESC Mount plate to that?
    Sorry for the question, just want to make sure I do this right.

you can put that esc on that plate OR into the area on the bottom chassis plate behind the servo (if it fits.) I put mine behind the servo for a lower CG...on the chuckworks website he has the esc mounted on the plate (where I have my BEC and Rx).

EDIT: woops...misread your question. The plate is screwed into the round brace piece as well as the Delrin block piece towards the rear.
    MTFBWY

you can put that esc on that plate OR into the area on the bottom chassis plate behind the servo (if it fits.) I put mine behind the servo for a lower CG...on the chuckworks website he has the esc mounted on the plate (where I have my BEC and Rx).

EDIT: woops...misread your question. The plate is screwed into the round brace piece as well as the Delrin block piece towards the rear.
    Okay, Awesome! Thanks for the advice about the ESC.
    And that really helps a lot. Hopefully I'll be able to work on it tonight.

Starting to take shape Traxxas9008. Question Did the kit come with instructions? I should know the answer to that already? Not much does unless its electronics?

Synnergy!!!! Look's like you been getting some good use with yours.......
    Choose Life !!!

Quote Originally Posted by lektro View Post
    Starting to take shape Traxxas9008. Question Did the kit come with instructions? I should know the answer to that already? Not much does unless its electronics?

Synnergy!!!! Look's like you been getting some good use with yours.......
    Hello and Thank You!
    Sadly, the Chassis does not come with instructions. Synnergy did a build on it actually, and reading his forum post about it was very helpful. As Synnergy puts it, "Looks like a fun puzzle". Its taking a while trying to figure out where everything goes, but I'm slowly getting there.
    Any other questions, I'm happy to answer. (If I can. lol) Still pretty new at this hobby. 2 years so far and this is my real first project.

I HAVE NEWS! MY BUILD IS COMPLETE!
    (Well, projects are never finished.. but u know)
    I only have one picture, but I'm so excited for it. It was dark by the time I finished and took it for a quick speed run up and down the driveway using the headlights from a car. Hit a speed of 58 km/h. Fastest vehicle I've ever had/have. I seriously just touch the throttle and it just punches it. I love it.

Sorry its a little dark.
    I'll get some more pics tomorrow.

That's awesome man.
    58kph. You must live in the civilised part of the world.
    Look forward to some more pics.

Congratulations!! From fad to RAD you took that vintage rusty and made if BAD!! Looking forward to seeing more pictures with everything complete...that body looks really nice as well. Some folks will list all their parts as well. I thought it was going to take a few more weeks! You busted that out right quick.
    MTFBWY

Looks great sir! You went from taking your time and making sure it was done right, to finished in a rather short period of time. Now you need to take some day pics so we can see it. Great Job! Hope you had as much fun building it as you will running it.
    Choose Life !!!

Hey Traxxas9008,
    what did you do with that original body? Unless you want to keep it "vintage" (I'm not sure if it has worth for that or not,) you might consider painting it and using it for testing/bashing so you don't damage the nice one. An idea for you: paint the outside of the shell with a red first and then paint it with the color of your choosing. When it gets scratched it will "bleed" red. Just an idea...but with how pretty that new one is you may want to use the old one when the risk of damage is high. Happy Friday to you, the weekend is coming!!
    MTFBWY

Quote Originally Posted by Trentbaby65 View Post
    That's awesome man.
    58kph. You must live in the civilised part of the world.
    Look forward to some more pics.
    Thank You!
    Pictures and more speed runs are soon going to come.

Congratulations!! From fad to RAD you took that vintage rusty and made if BAD!! Looking forward to seeing more pictures with everything complete...that body looks really nice as well. Some folks will list all their parts as well. I thought it was going to take a few more weeks! You busted that out right quick.
    ---Hey Traxxas9008,
    what did you do with that original body? Unless you want to keep it "vintage" (I'm not sure if it has worth for that or not,) you might consider painting it and using it for testing/bashing so you don't damage the nice one. An idea for you: paint the outside of the shell with a red first and then paint it with the color of your choosing. When it gets scratched it will "bleed" red. Just an idea...but with how pretty that new one is you may want to use the old one when the risk of damage is high. Happy Friday to you, the weekend is coming!!
    Haha, yes, I did rush it in the end. But it was over the period of a whole afternoon. (12 hours) So I took my time and its not fully complete. I still have some plans for it. (new Receiver and Transmitter) the stock one doesn't reach far enough for speed runs.
    Oh, and yes, I almost forgot, I will include a list later down the road.

I still have the original body and Yup, having it as a basher body is a great idea. I was told to not paint over the body, but I have some extra paint, so idk. Might just pop some extra paint on.

Happy Friday to you too! Have a great Weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by lektro View Post
    Looks great sir! You went from taking your time and making sure it was done right, to finished in a rather short period of time. Now you need to take some day pics so we can see it. Great Job! Hope you had as much fun building it as you will running it.
    Thank You! Yeah, I had a free afternoon so I spent about like 10-11 hours working on it.
    ikr? A LONG time. lol. So I took it really slow working on it. Putting the servo in took forever. So I took my time working on it. I didn't want to make any mistakes.
    And running this thing? I love this thing!

Thanks for taking interest guys and have a great weekend.
    We are having some rainy weeks here, so hopefully later today the roads will dry enough for a speed run.

All the pictures I have. However, I need to drill the holes in the body for the truck. There will be more pics with the body.

That is looking RAD! Some of the speed runners get their rigs really low to the ground, I hope they have some advice for you regarding setting up your suspension for speed running as well as some gearing advice. I'm looking forward to seeing that body.

Regarding painting the other shell-it looks prettier and doesn't get scratched off if you paint it from the inside. But since yours is already painted, you only option is to paint from the outside. I would clean the outside with some warm soapy water and rinse it really well...get it dried real good and have some fun painting it. It will get scratched off but who cares...it will most likely look WAY better than the original colors it has! Maybe you want to keep it retro and that's cool too.
    MTFBWY

That is looking RAD! Some of the speed runners get their rigs really low to the ground, I hope they have some advice for you regarding setting up your suspension for speed running as well as some gearing advice. I'm looking forward to seeing that body.

Regarding painting the other shell-it looks prettier and doesn't get scratched off if you paint it from the inside. But since yours is already painted, you only option is to paint from the outside. I would clean the outside with some warm soapy water and rinse it really well...get it dried real good and have some fun painting it. It will get scratched off but who cares...it will most likely look WAY better than the original colors it has! Maybe you want to keep it retro and that's cool too.
    Yeah, I'll have to do research about the suspension and gearing.

And about the body, I really want to change the colour. I strongly dislike the colour scheme on the body rn. ;P But it'll be a while till I run it again. Just got hit with a rainstorm and it'll last a couple days. So it gives me time to finish up my other project and paint the body.
    Thanks!

Hey guys.
    So with school started, I've been super busy, but I had a chance to drive it yesterday. I drove it for not even a minute, and the screw holding the rear camber link fell out and it turned left right away. Thankfully, it was just grass and not a tree like these trucks like to hit. I was super bummed by it afraid it was something worse. Its a easy fix and I'll get it up a running. Also, I'll try to get a list of my build up soon.

Good to hear from you! How is school going?
    MTFBWY

Haha, Thanks for Asking. Its going good.

But for other news, The Ford F-150 body I bought doesn't really fit on the body, so for now, I'm going to keep it without a body. Eventually, I'll buy a body like the Bandit body or something, but as of now, I honestly just don't have money for it. My Slash decided to have a breakdown, my SCX10 needs tons of repairs, I have another rusty that needs parts, and I have a stampede that is stripped of everything that needs tons of parts. So yeah... a lot of projects are going to be started hopefully.

So my Rusty is going to stay as it is. Sits on my shelf in my bedroom nice and shiny right now. ��
    If I take it out for a spin, I'll get some shots and post them.
    Anyway, till next time, See ya later.

So The time has come for the parts list!
    I've been meaning to get around to this, but haven't had a chance.
    So, here is how it sits:

Parts List:
    -ChuckworksRC - Rusty 2 - Chassis
    Great Chassis, but a little difficult to build.

-Velineon VXL-3s Brushless System
    The heart of the Beast, and its proven very powerful. Love the system.

-Savox Servo - Sc-1258TG
    Great Servo. Don't know what else to say about it. lol

-Stock Transmitter/Reciever System
    Its ok.. But definitely not suggested for a speed build by me.

-RPM parts: Rear A-arms, Front A-arms.
    Love RPM parts and have worked great on this build. Originally had the RPM Gearbox, but didn't fit

-Stock Gearbox
    Its a gearbox.. so.. Does its purpose.. Not sure what to say. Stock gears inside.

-76T/48P Spur gear
    Great Spurt gear.

-28T/48P Pinion Gear
    Great Pinion Gear

-Cooling Fan - Traxxas 3340
    Good idea for long runs.

-Traxxas 3822 Motor Heat Sink
    I think it was meant for the Blast... but it ended up not fitting once I had the system in.

-Traxxas Aluminum parts: Steering Blocks, Axle Carrier, Steering Bell Cranks, Turnbuckles, and Caster Block.
    Love Traxxas Aluminum parts. Decided to stick with Traxxas because I knew they'd be good and reliable.

-Traxxas Aluminum GTR Shocks
    Haven't gotten the springs yet, so they are not installed. The shocks installed right now are stock as far as I know.

-Duratrax Bandito Tires
    Really happy with the tires.

Anything else I have not listed is stock. Such as the Shock Towers are stock, along with the axles.
    Anyway, Thats really the end of the build I suppose. Maybe in the future, I'll pick it up again.
    But if you have questions, feel free to ask!

** For Fun, I was looking around on ChuckworksRC and thought this would be helpful to anybody building any ChuckworksRC build. I just found it and don't know how long its been up, but would of been extremely helpful for my build. Its detailed pictures on how to build one of the Midmotor Chassis'.
    http://www.chuckworksrc.com/instructions/
    Hope this helps to anybody who recently bought a ChuckworksRC Chassis and did not know of this.
    Last edited by Traxxas9008; 10-31-2018 at 12:40 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123