will a better charger stop my traxxas batteries from puffing up?

hello, I must have 7-8 traxxas batteries (3) 3s 5000mah and (5)of the 7600MAh. They are all puffing even if I use them in a stock TRX-4 so discharging to quick should not be a problem I would think. My guess is its the batteries or the charger. I love traxxas RC's its all I own. I buy EVERYTHING traxxas. But I think im wasting my $$ now.

thanks for any advice.

Ohh and I use the Traxxas Dual charger with ID. the one that costs 100$ with the poor fans that make a racket until they warm up.
    Slash, Stampede,Craniac,X2 TRX4 ,ford gt 4 tec 2.0

RC poster
    I have never had a problem with batteries puffing and I use an ez-peak dual.

It must be my driving style I guess. I dont see why they always puff up on me. I dont usually store a fully balanced/charged lipo for longer than a few days. and I always have LVD enabled.

Quote Originally Posted by lotust251 View Post
    It must be my driving style I guess. I dont see why they always puff up on me. I dont usually store a fully balanced/charged lipo for longer than a few days. and I always have LVD enabled.
    I've had many Traxxas lipos, 2 cell and 3 cell, in my experience they are decent packs (a little pricey though) but if you leave them charged for anything longer than the day your going to use them they tend to puff. Since then I've gotten really diligent at keeping batteries at storage charge, only charging what I'll use that day and returning to storage that same day. Haven't had a problem since then.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Its alright son I'll fix it when you break it

RC Qualifier
    I have 18 lipo batteries, 2s &3s mostly 5000mah and higher and i have only had one puff becsuse i left it connected in the truck for weeks and it drained it. I set my LVCO at 3.7v on the esc's and don't charge above 4 amps.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by FnFancy View Post
    I've had many Traxxas lipos, 2 cell and 3 cell, in my experience they are decent packs (a little pricey though) but if you leave them charged for anything longer than the day your going to use them they tend to puff. Since then I've gotten really diligent at keeping batteries at storage charge, only charging what I'll use that day and returning to storage that same day. Haven't had a problem since then.

its it me or the angle , but most of your batteries look like they have a little puff to them.

Quote Originally Posted by lotust251 View Post
    its it me or the angle , but most of your batteries look like they have a little puff to them.
    A few most definitely do, that is an older picture. As they stopped balancing correctly or charging funky I retired a few of those. Call me crazy but a little puff doesn't worry me, it's when they get hot or extremely swollen I run for the fire extinguisher.

A more recent battery photo, most of the slightly puffed ones are no longer there

yes i get some traxxas lipo's puff a little bit. Its just weird that the CHEAP 35$ HRB batteries have not puffed up yet. thanks for posting. You have a ton of batteries FnFancy !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by FnFancy View Post
    A more recent battery photo, most of the slightly puffed ones are no longer there

Why thank you kind sir. I have hungry monsters to keep fed, haha! There are some folks around here that can put my battery collection to shame though. My monsters......

I have about 7 of the traxxas lipo ID batteries. Only one has puffed on me. From what a battery expert explained on here is, most reason's for a lipo to get puffed is from over discharging. He did say most. Only reason I can figure mine did is either it was a faulty battery or it was from forgetting to store charge and it was left with a full charge for 2 weeks.

I have a 2s 5800mah traxxas with balance connector that I leave charged all the time for when building or maintenance. It holds its charge, stays balanced and is not puffed. I do store charge and charge back up once or twice a year. It is approximately 12 years old. Purchased in 2006. Go figure!

Last edited by lektro; 06-29-2018 at 11:29 AM.
    Choose Life !!!

Quote Originally Posted by lektro View Post
    I have about 7 of the traxxas lipo ID batteries. Only one has puffed on me. From what a battery expert explained on here is, most reason's for a lipo to get puffed is from over discharging. He did say most. Only reason I can figure mine did is either it was a faulty battery or it was from forgetting to store charge and it was left with a full charge for 2 weeks.

I have a 2s 5800mah traxxas with balance connector that I leave charged all the time for when building or maintenance. It holds its charge, stays balanced and is not puffed. I do store charge and charge back up once or twice a year. It is approximately 12 years old. Purchased in 2006. Go figure!

what the heck from 2006? The I have puffed up batteries with a brushed TRX-4

RC Competitor
    If you want batteries that dont puff buy batteries with a higher C rating.

I have batteries with 75C rating, although it may not be accurate I use them with my XMAXX pounding on the battery and no puffing.

RC poster
    Doesn't the Traxxas esc prevent over discharge?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Packham View Post
    Doesn't the Traxxas esc prevent over discharge?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    As long as your in lipo mode (green light on the ESC, not red) it will cut power once the batteries fall below a set voltage. The issue, some consider the cut off too low (I don't recall what Traxxas sets the lvc to) and the ESC reads total pack voltage, not individual cells. When a battery has one cell discharge faster than the others it can fall below the acceptable voltage limit on a lipo cell.

it's alright son, I'll fix it when you break it

RC Competitor

will a better charger stop my traxxas batteries from puffing up?

Traxxas ESC does LVD @ 3.2 volts which I think is pushing it. I would suggest getting the Traxxas balance lead adapters and the voltage alarms. Set it at 3.5-3.7v to be safe.

Over discharge is the biggest cause of puffy batteries. So you need to stop driving when LVD kicks in if you donít do the adapter/alarm method.

You can also monitor each cell with the adapters.

*** FAST CHARGE *** your batteries. If you always balance charge your batteries you overwork the battery and shorten the life span. Balance charge every 5th charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    E Revo 2.0 / Slash VXL 2wd / Rustler VXL 2wd

Quote Originally Posted by Jayrox View Post

*** FAST CHARGE *** your batteries. If you always balance charge your batteries you overwork the battery and shorten the life span. Balance charge every 5th charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I agreed with you till this point. Please explain the how and why behind it. And why would the owner of SPC recommend balance every time? Would not fast charging overcharge one cell and undercharge the other when it reaches full? Only to then overdischarge that one undercharged cell when the LVD kicks in? Because the ESC reads overall battery voltage and not every cell.
    The Super Derecho

Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    I agreed with you till this point. Please explain the how and why behind it. And why would the owner of SPC recommend balance every time? Would not fast charging overcharge one cell and undercharge the other when it reaches full? Only to then overdischarge that one undercharged cell when the LVD kicks in? Because the ESC reads overall battery voltage and not every cell.
    Yup, I'm completely confused also. I think that's the only time I've heard that.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk