RC poster

Connector question

Hi all, first time poster. Hoping to get some advice.

Just ordered a castle 1512 2650kv (and a bunch of other goodies). I called Castle and they suggested a 4s, min 50c/5000mah battery. which connectors should I use. I'm not into soldering and would rather go with a crimp on if possible. Was looking at the anderson stuff.

Any suggestions? is SB175 overkill?

Oh, and before anyone asks...

Yes, I got a king headz motor mount, 19/54 RRP gears, cc blower and tekno m6 front and rear drive shafts

The anderson PP120 says 6ga, most of the lipos are 10-12ga, correct?
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 06-26-2018 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bender77 View Post
    Hi all, first time poster. Hoping to get some advice.

Just ordered a castle 1512 2650kv (and a bunch of other goodies). I called Castle and they suggested a 4s, min 50c/5000mah battery. which connectors should I use. I'm not into soldering and would rather go with a crimp on if possible. Was looking at the anderson stuff.

Any suggestions? is SB175 overkill?
    The brand that you use is your choice, but for a CC 2650 on 4S, I use a 6.5mm Castle Polarized connector. They work well. If you're not into soldering, take your batteries, ESC, Caps, etc to a local professional car stereo installer. I would not want any of my connectors simply crimped on!

-Shack

If you have a hobby shop in town you can just pay hem to solder them as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Slash 4x4, Stampede 4x4, SCX10, Bearded Dragon

You seriously DO NOT want crimp-on connectors, they are very high loss and even on 2S you'd melt the connectors. On 4S you are asking for a fire.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Connector question

Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    You seriously DO NOT want crimp-on connectors, they are very high loss and even on 2S you'd melt the connectors. On 4S you are asking for a fire.
    Are you lumping Anderson PowerPoles in with all other crimp connectors? One would certainly not come close to melting even the 30A version of these with 2S and to talk of fire is laughable.
    Note that the OP mentioned Anderson specifically.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 06-26-2018 at 10:24 PM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = °

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    learn to solder

RC poster
    In modern aviation, high current applications are all crimped with little to no loss and there is no overheating. Soldering in aviation is a relic of the past. If you do not have access to high quality contacts & crimpers I would solder them.

Traxxas Marshal
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Are you lumping Anderson PowerPoles in with all other crimp connectors? One would certainly not come close to melting even the 30A version of these with 2S and to talk of fire is laughable.
    I'm glad someone said it before I got the chance to. Crimped power pole connectors are generally considered to be better than soldered when using a proper crimping tool. I solder mine (for lack of a proper crimping tool and reusability), but I wouldn't hesitate to use them if they were crimped.

Welcome to the forums, by the way, Bender77.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

I use Anderson connectors with 12v lead acid batteries. They need a special tool to be crimped for a proper connection. Anderson are good, while I don’t think the proper choice for RC. I use the large version used often with 6 gauge wire. The crimp tool is around $35.

Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool View Post
    I'm glad someone said it before I got the chance to. Crimped power pole connectors are generally considered to be better than soldered when using a proper crimping tool. I solder mine (for lack of a proper crimping tool and reusability), but I wouldn't hesitate to use them if they were crimped.

Welcome to the forums, by the way, Bender77.
    Crimping is preferred to soldering because it does not cause a stress point in the wire like soldering does when the solder is wicked into the insulation. You can get a good low-loss connection with the proper crimper and someone that knows what they are doing, but do you think that is the case here? Without proper tooling and training for high-current crimp connections, you are asking for a fire. Before you talk about what is laughable, please take into account the experience of the person who is going the work.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Oh boy. The ol' solder vs crimp debate.

I work in aviation maintenance. We use both.

I work(ed) in car audio. We use both.

Crimped connections can be just as good as soldered and vice versa.

We used to crimp 1/0ga terminals on 3000w car audio systems. Eventually we realised the terminals were corroding so we started soldering them after we crimped to prevent oxidization.

That being said, if your gonna be in this hobby you should know your way around a soldering iron or find someone who does.

I use my soldering iron quite often. Not just for RC but anything electrical. And it only costed me about $35 with the replacement tips and stand i also bought.
    10 RCs and counting 😅

Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    Crimping is preferred to soldering because it does not cause a stress point in the wire like soldering does when the solder is wicked into the insulation. You can get a good low-loss connection with the proper crimper and someone that knows what they are doing, but do you think that is the case here? Without proper tooling and training for high-current crimp connections, you are asking for a fire. Before you talk about what is laughable, please take into account the experience of the person who is going the work.
    And a bad solder job is any better? If you use an argument for one side, you have to be able to be able to defend against it on the other side. I think in this instance you cannot.

Edit - additional thoughts:
    Since there is very little difference in cost between soldering and crimping, either for the iron/crimp tool the connectors, perhaps we should look at the method that would more likely fail in the hands of a beginner. It seems to me that a "strip insulation/insert wire into terminal/squeeze" sequence is hard to beat for simplicity and repeatability.

It was not and never is my intention to disregard or minimize any of the dangers inherent in working with energy storage components. There is always some risk, and as Greatscott pointed out, that risk is accentuated by novice users with unfamiliar or inappropriate tools. However, contrary to what seems to have been said, those risks are not limited to a crimp connection. Full disclosure: I've installed hundreds of PowerPoles and various solder-type connectors over the last decade-plus with very few issues. Crimp-type connections were involved in none of those issues. That said - and taking the formerly available Dewalt harness kit from KD as an example - if done wrong ANY electrical connection can be a disaster waiting to happen.

Finally:
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo74 View Post
    learn to solder
    C'mon man, this is spectacularly unhelpful and unwelcoming.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 06-27-2018 at 11:53 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    in a house, connections aren't allowed to e soldered.....

Yikes
    Last edited by lektro; 06-28-2018 at 10:35 AM.
    Choose Life !!!

I have never even thought of crimping connectors until now. I would say if it is rated at 600v yes it is a bit of overkill. I do like the connectors though. If I had seen this thread a long time ago, I am sure I would have considered using them over soldering. I am a pro at soldering now ( haha ) so I will stick with it....

Am an old dog and was just taught a new trick.... Thanks Bender77!
    Choose Life !!!

In this hobby, there are certain instances where you cannot get around soldering. Like soldering motor or esc wires for example. Same goes for crimping.

So if you plan on doing your own maintenance, you need to get comfortable with a soldering iron AND a pair of crimpers.
    10 RCs and counting 😅

RC Qualifier
    I'll throw in my 2 cents as an electrical engineer along with building custom cars, tig welding/fabrication, and remodeling homes I have a range of experience. I agree with many of the above posts. I tend to stay with the industry standards for the specific application:

Homes = crimp / twist connections
    RC = solder
    Automotive = both
    Aviation / Aerospace = never owned one or done anything beyond some rivet jobs

As far as connectors Castle Creations polarized 6.5mm as Shack351 recommended are great for 99% of people. An idea to consider the EC5 connectors are similar in their abilities, as well as being more common to find charger connectors or battery packs that already come with the option. XT-90 is becoming more common now also.

I happen to have EC8 connectors on my car because it is playing in the 280-400 amp range (at 8s and might play with 12s later on)

-Liberty
    Last edited by LibertyMKiii; 06-29-2018 at 05:55 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I run Genuine Amass XT-90 connectors. There are actually a lot of counterfeits out there

I run an 1/8 scale SMC motor, Tekin RX8 gen2 esc, and an SMC 4s battery

I would rather solder all my connections personally. I've had more failures with crimps in practice. But to be fair...I've had a few cold solder joints along the line as well. It WILL happen. Been at it for over 40 years...so I just about got the hang of it.

Being a "Ham" radio operator for 30+ years helped a lot too. Its not that hard...just get some scrap wire and practice. You'll get the hang of it in no time.

Have any more of y’all actually crimped PowerPoles with the correct tool?
    I used to terminate my wires with PPs while watching TV. It’s pretty darn easy.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo74 View Post
    learn to solder
    C'mon man, this is spectacularly unhelpful and unwelcoming.

Ok, here is the the long version of this. Learning to solder is a great skill to possess, especially in the RC world. I personally did not like to solder initially, but found it a must. I discovered that soldering was made better and easier through proper tools, and research. I now have a Hakko FX888D solder station.

Have any more of y’all actually crimped PowerPoles with the correct tool?
    I used to terminate my wires with PPs while watching TV. It’s pretty darn easy.
    I have used both kinds. I agree with you that they are stupid easy to use and they are excelent connectors but I don’t they are the best choice for RC. The small ones aren’t big enough to use reliably for RC and the big ones are just too big.