low cost brushless motor and esc

Good day... A buddy has a 5 year old Rustler with a xl5 and titan 12T brushed motor. He wants to upgrade to a new esc and brushless motor. He already has a 3s 11.1v lipo battery.

He is on a budget so want a low cost upgrade. Any suggestions? Thnxs, RR
    Rustler VXL, 3s, Mid Engine, Road Rage

Whats your Budget?
    I'm running one of these in my Stampedes at the moment and will be ordering another one for my Rustler Build.
    [EDIT: Wrong ESC and Motor. Oops. lol.
    Apparently Amazon doesn't have the one I'm running anymore. But I'm using the GoolRC Waterproof ESC BEC 5.8V/3A 60A with the Waterproof Motor BL3650 - 4300KV
    The closest one I could find was this one:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brushless-G...kAAOSw6n5Xqaii
    Except this one isn't Waterproof.

Haven't had a problem with it yet so far on my stampede. Just remember to turn it off and unplug the Battery when done running it. I forgot to do that with my Slash and my ESC caught on fire. But that was my fault, nothing to do with Goolrc's ESC.

Not sure if this helps. I know that the majority of people like Water Proof ESCs, and the one I showed isn't... I've been looking all over Ebay and amazon, and can't find the System I'm using.
    Last edited by Traxxas9008; 06-27-2018 at 07:50 PM.
    If you ain't getting dirty, you ain't having fun.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Best budget esc is the Hobbywing SC-8 WP, Ive been happy with the GoolRC motor. This seems like a great bashing setup. My Rustler is MMX and Poseidon 1512 can(not budget friendly though). I run the Hobbywing I mentioned in my P4de with, flawless for a year or so.

Folks, under 100. Cdn would be nice. I see many GoolRC products listed on Ebay. GD.... I will check out the HW SC-8.

Thnxs all. RR
    Rustler VXL, 3s, Mid Engine, Road Rage

low cost brushless motor and esc

Quote Originally Posted by Road Ruler View Post
    Folks, under 100. Cdn would be nice...

Thnxs all. RR
    For all of the southerners here (south of Canada, that is) $100cdn = $75us... until the trade war really picks up.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

+2 on the WPSC8. I've been running it in my maxx for 4 years now and love it
    10 RCs and counting 😅

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Traxxas9008 View Post
    Whats your Budget?
    I'm running one of these in my Stampedes at the moment and will be ordering another one for my Rustler Build.
    [EDIT: Wrong ESC and Motor. Oops. lol.
    Apparently Amazon doesn't have the one I'm running anymore. But I'm using the GoolRC Waterproof ESC BEC 5.8V/3A 60A with the Waterproof Motor BL3650 - 4300KV
    The closest one I could find was this one:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brushless-G...kAAOSw6n5Xqaii
    Except this one isn't Waterproof.

Haven't had a problem with it yet so far on my stampede. Just remember to turn it off and unplug the Battery when done running it. I forgot to do that with my Slash and my ESC caught on fire. But that was my fault, nothing to do with Goolrc's ESC.

Not sure if this helps. I know that the majority of people like Water Proof ESCs, and the one I showed isn't... I've been looking all over Ebay and amazon, and can't find the System I'm using.
    I purchased the same GoolRC Motor/ESC/Programming card combo and proceeded to fry the ESC running 28/76 and 3s Lipo...but man, does that motor have some punch to it! I replaced the ESC with a GoolRC 120A version and have been really happy with it. Currently running 2s and 3s, geared 19/86 and never seeing temps over 135 on the motor or ESC while running Trenchers on the rear. It's been hard to keep the front end down and I keep popping the stub axle's apart at the joints, so I've Stampede 4x4 axles to swap on there. I need to mess with the punch control and the slipper clutch a little bit to see if I can stop busting stuff.

If you get the rear drive shafts for the nitro slash, they are a heavier duty. I run them on my nitro pede, and rustler, and hardly ever have a problem with them.

Never mind, they show them as the same shaft now, used to be the nitro slash was heavier.
    So it looks like the 4x4 pede shafts are heavier though
    Last edited by westoakmech; 07-03-2018 at 03:45 PM.
    Rusty 2.5R,T-max 2.5 & 3.3,Summit VXL Nitro 4-tec

Quote Originally Posted by cfink828 View Post
    I purchased the same GoolRC Motor/ESC/Programming card combo and proceeded to fry the ESC running 28/76 and 3s Lipo...but man, does that motor have some punch to it! I replaced the ESC with a GoolRC 120A version and have been really happy with it. Currently running 2s and 3s, geared 19/86 and never seeing temps over 135 on the motor or ESC while running Trenchers on the rear. It's been hard to keep the front end down and I keep popping the stub axle's apart at the joints, so I've Stampede 4x4 axles to swap on there. I need to mess with the punch control and the slipper clutch a little bit to see if I can stop busting stuff.
    Good to know! I've been figuring out which ESC to get. Still haven't replaced my burnt out ESC.
    If you ain't getting dirty, you ain't having fun.

Hard to beat Castle Creations IMO

http://www.castlecreations.com/en/si...bo-010-0115-06
    Revo .18TM
    BL Rustler
    Stampede
    HPI Sprint 2

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by chops1sc View Post
    I'd love to have the funds and time to do a head-to-head with the GoolRC vs a Castle Creations equivalent setup! I'm guessing that the biggest issue is going to be quality control, with Castle winning that hands down. I don't have a lot of experience to draw from, but I have to say, I don't think that I could possibly use any more performance than the GoolRC 4300kv on 3s provides for bashing. The key was getting an ESC that could handle the abuse and the GoolRC 120A seems to be up to the task. If I had the money, I'd love to get a Mamba ESC and Castle motor and mix-match to see how they all work in all the different combos.