RC poster

Newbie Questions

Just picked up a rustler vxl 3708 today. It came with a new 9.6v battery but not much jam or top speed. No need for wheelie bars that's for sure and top speed maybe 35mph. Is that normal without a 3s lipo?
    Also, it came with an am radio. Does the servo plug into most aftermarket receivers?
    Also, there is a fair bit of chatter while taking off. I tried to adjust the clutch but just turns the axles. It almost appears the adjusting nut is frozen. WD-40?
    I build and fly/crash airplanes mostly but have a 1/12 Litehawk Crusher with a 2s Lipo I bash around with. The Rustler was supposed to be much faster but are pretty close.

Congrats on the Rustler (AWESOME!!) and welcome to the forum!

You need to be able to adjust that slipper. Put the wheels on so you can use them as counterforce while you loosen that slipper nut. See where it is...it sounds like it is too loose.

The servo plugs are mostly universal aren't they? Sometimes there is a little slot that gets shaved off...

Is your rusty new or old?

I would think it would wheelie depending on the traction...

Gear change for more top end! Start with that slipper adjustment and go from there.
    MTFBWY

RC poster
    Thanks for your response. It's a few years old. I tried to hold the wheels while trying to adjust the clutch but there was plenty of resistance. I could keep trying to turn if I knew nothing would snap. WD-40 if it's safe but may cause extra slippage on the clutch if works.
    The servo question was only because some brands are brand specific. Goolrc has motor/esc combos that may work if I go that route.
    Do these motors have a 3.17mm shaft? I can't seem to find that info. I could take things apart and measure too.

wow, it must be really stuck. I don't wd-40 will hurt anything other than collect some extra dirt if excess is not wiped away...and it probably would make the slipper slip more too...but you could clean those parts with some alcohol or something. Maybe you could use a little butane torch or lighter to heat up that nut? Obviously, care needs to be taken not to melt your hand/finger/plastic rc parts.

I have not heard of any problems with connection issues with gool stuff. What servo are you talking about? I have no experience with either of gool motors or escs...but I have read that the gool escs double as a mini fire work display. It IS close to July 4th!

All the motors I have looked at either have a 5mm shaft or the 3.17mm shaft.
    MTFBWY

RC poster
    The gears installed are 28/83. The battery pack is a 9.6v NiMH. The motor is a velineon brushless 3500.
    Managed to get the clutch nut moving. I tried tightening a couple turns and still chatters on ground. Goes great with wheels up though. Plenty of chatter at start and no speed.
    I recalibrated the esc to be sure it was on sport mode. Actually slower now.
    Should I keep cranking the clutch or maybe the battery is shot. Doesn't look like the clutch has much more turns.
    I want to try my 3s Lipo but have to find a xt-60 to traxxas adapter or just change them all to xt-60's. Bit frustrated....

I usually tighten the nut all the way and then back it off 1/4 turn...that gives your tranny a bit of give. You MAY have something more sinister going on there...you may need to get into that tranny and see what gears are broken and/or chipped/worn. Did you set the gear mesh between the pinion and the spur? There are some good utube vids on how to do that. It may be something in the tranny. 28/83 should be going pretty fast.
    MTFBWY

That stuttering on start-up is probably just normal cogging. Its normal with sensorless brushless motors, especially older ones.

Plug in your lipo. 3s is a bit much though i would recommend a 2s instead.

That NIMH is not providing the juice that the vxl wants.

Also i strongly suggest buying an FM radio. That would be my absolute first upgrade. The AM radios have always been super glitchy and unreliable.

Keep in mind that old RXs and servos are analog while newer ones are digital. They cannot be mixed.
    Last edited by MaXXL; 06-28-2018 at 01:04 PM.
    10 RCs and counting 😅

RC poster
    The esc cuts out if chugging too much and goes back on when I release the throttle. I have to be very slow on the throttle to get it moving with a top speed of 19kph. Battery is at 10.19v. I checked all motor and battery connections. I'm thinking the motor is going bad or the esc has gone crazy.
    In my rc plane experience, I have mixed anolog and digital servos on a spektrum without problem. If I have to replace electronics, I will most definitely not be replacing with traxxas due to the prices.
    Goolrc has motor /esc combos for $55 and 2.4ghz controller/receiver for $40. Can't beat that.
    I'm really hoping the problem is an easier fix...

RC poster
    Was the battery. Tried a 2s lipo and the wheelie bar was definitely needed.

Hehe. Glad you figured that out.

Be careful with Gool RC stuff. Some people say they havnt had problems, others say its a fire hazard.

Although you already have a VXL, which is far better than anything from china (gool rc)
    Last edited by MaXXL; 06-29-2018 at 08:05 AM.
    10 RCs and counting 😅

I have to agree with MaXXL on the china gool..... Unless you are upgrading to 1/8 scale. I would stick with the VXL. On a 2s lipo you still need to keep an eye on your ESC and motor temps. I know when i first got my rusty. I ran the nimh twice and was convinced I needed a 2 s lipo. What a difference....
    Last edited by lektro; 06-29-2018 at 08:36 AM.
    Choose Life !!!

RC poster
    I replaced the 28t gear with the 25t. Here's a question I have not seen answered. I am a basher and don't care for high speed. I got 36mph with the 28t and 2s which is good enough. I imagine the 25t will bring down the top speed a touch but for general bashing, grass, gravel, dirt and pavement, which pinion uses the least battery? I ordered a 2s 6000mah hard case.

Choose Life !!!

RC poster
    Thanks! I like the updated chart but doesn't exactly cover my gearing and lipo. I assume that 25/83 won't be an issue with heat and will be the best for run times over a 28/83. Right now, I get only a few min off a 2s 1800mah.

This beast should come with mud flaps lol. Those stones have quite the velocity. Wheelies from half throttle are effortless.

I found a bmx track in town. Once I get the new battery, I will tear it up.

RC Racer
    It definitely needs mudflaps. I hit my self between the eyes with a rock one time lol

A 1800mah battery is a baby. I run a 2s 7600mah and I typically kill the truck before the battery. I actually just twisted a driveshaft off about an hour ago!

RC poster
    I ordered a 2s 6000mah. The 1800 is actually for my litehawk crusher. The bmx track was fun. It did a lot of bashing. I thought I broke the front suspension but was just a hex bolt that came loose. The litehawk is fun but would have been destroyed trying what the vxl excels at.