RC Enthusiast

Mounted motor heatsink and fan, huge temp drops

Took several hours of measuring, cutting, sanding, and bending, but I finally got this heat sink and fan mounted. Used a generous amount of thermal paste. On 85 degree hot summer days, I bashed this little guy doing full throttle runs through rough grass nonstop for well over 30 minutes to see the results. Motor temps dropped down from 200 to 135, I couldn’t believe it. Stock gearing at 11/54, with Pro-Line Trenchers. Now I’m finally ready to run 3S lipo on the Velineon without worrying about overheating. Well worth the $10 upgrade.

Link to heatsink:

https://www.hobbytown.com/c1-motor-h...080120/p279174

Last edited by Geodude074; 06-28-2018 at 03:52 AM.

Well done Geodude! Your initial temps were pretty high. That would have worried me a bit getting them that high constantly. Very rewarding when you do something to any RC to make it better. I use to run 2 s in my Rusty with the VXL and the temps would go that high. I also ran the Trenchers, great tire. Not good for the motor, indeed. Any idea what the ESC temps were?
    Last edited by lektro; 06-28-2018 at 08:36 AM.
    Choose Life !!!

RC Enthusiast
    ESC was 120, but it does have a fan.

I normally don't push it till it reaches 200, I just wanted a worst case scenario as a benchmark. Definitely don't plan to run continuous WOT on 3s.

Be careful. With that line of thought, i feel there could be smoke in your filuture.

If your temps were at 200 and you want to go faster, you need a bigger motor not a heat sink
    Last edited by MaXXL; 06-28-2018 at 11:05 AM.
    10 RCs and counting 😅

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by MaXXL View Post
    Be careful. With that line of thought, i feel there could be smoke in your filuture.

If your temps were at 200 and you want to go faster, you need a bigger motor not a heat sink
    During normal bashing my motor temps were around 160. I already ran a 3s the other day with the new heatsink/fan, but it was colder (70 degrees) and raining so it wasn't a fair comparison, motor temps never went above 100.

I don't plan on upgrading to a bigger motor until my current one bites the dust lol.

Today's pretty hot, near 90 and very humid, I'll bash on 3s and let you guys know the motor temps after.
    Last edited by Geodude074; 06-28-2018 at 02:37 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Well, took the little beast out for a 3s bash tonight, 90 degree weather and extremely humid. Only managed WOT about half the time, it's hard to control this guy when the tires turn into pizza cutters lol. Drove on a mix of pavement, dirt/gravel, and rough grass. I did most of the WOT running on grass since that area has the most space. After about 20 minutes one of the axle yokes snapped so that ended the run.

Checked the temps right away and the hottest part of the motor was 128, ESC was 125. I'm definitely happy with the results, the beefy heatsink/fan combo does a much better job than I was expecting. I would have been happy with a 20-30 degree drop, but the fact I'm cutting 60+ degrees off the temps is just unbelievable. I don't know why Traxxas doesn't ship out all their VXLs with a heatsink/fan combo.

RC Enthusiast
    Another hot day, 100 degrees and humid again, it’s supposed to be a scorcher this weekend. Took the little monster out and ran it hard for two 2S 8200mah packs. After the first pack the motor temp was 144, ESC was 120. After the second pack I ran it lighter and it cooled down, motor was 125 and ESC was still around 120.

I noticed yesterday with my 3S pack that the receiver has started to get brown outs, I have a capacitor on order so hopefully that’ll fix it. Was doing full throttle runs on 3S and the reciever cut out at one point, ended up cartwheeling at 45ish mph into a chain linked fence lol. Thankfully nothing broke but I’m not going to risk that again. Motor temps were in the 120s after my short 3S run.