RC Racer

Marine grease on the diff gears inside the bulk?

Hey.

I Just took off the rear bulk and i see the two gears is empty for grease (not inside the diff where the 4 small spider gears is) here i used to add machine grease, but i only have marine grease. Want to use the car tomorrow, so i was hoping for it was ok with some marine grease from grimrace? The gears outside the diff if u know what i mean.
    Marine grease is silicone free?
    Im Just affraid to use grease with silicone because that would make damage when metal go into metal moving parts..

RC Qualifier
    It's fine to use.

I've use Marine Grease for the gear on the outside I know what you're talking about. That's all I've ever used actually for both my slash 4x4 and my Rustler VXL. I've never had a problem

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Good work isn't cheap, cheap work isn't good

Quote Originally Posted by Ray87 View Post
    Hey.

I Just took off the rear bulk and i see the two gears is empty for grease (not inside the diff where the 4 small spider gears is) here i used to add machine grease, but i only have marine grease. Want to use the car tomorrow, so i was hoping for it was ok with some marine grease from grimrace? The gears outside the diff if u know what i mean.
    Marine grease is silicone free?
    Im Just affraid to use grease with silicone because that would make damage when metal go into metal moving parts..
    There is never going to be a lot of grease on the actual gears as the rotation will throw most of it off onto the inner diff casing.
    If they have a thin coat on the gears themselves it should be sufficient.
    I go thru mine a few times a season (if nothing breaks first) and put some fresh grease on after a good cleaning.
    It seems a little dirt always finds it's was in there one way or another.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Racer
    Thanks for the answer. It make some noice also so maby a time for a cleaning :-)

I think just about any grease will work. As billy-bones said it get's thrown off now matter what you use. I have found over the years that white lithium is one of the best as far as adhering to the gears. Am not saying I like it though.

It's too bad you can't pack it full. The diff housing is not completely sealed. Be nice if it was. when you take the front and rear sections off I believe you can see a gap on the top of the housing, if I recall correctly. I have white lithium, mollygraph, and red and tacky. Been using the molly graph. seems to work OK so far.
    Last edited by lektro; 06-29-2018 at 04:01 PM.
    Choose Life !!!

I use this stuff..

Sticks to the gears well and it's only like $15 for that tub.
    Yes it's an Aussie brand so not sure if you can get it anywhere else.

So far it worked flawlessly in my sl4sh (2200kv on 3s) and sl2sh as well as my yeti xl diffs on 4s.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by spunkybob View Post
    I use this stuff..

Sticks to the gears well and it's only like $15 for that tub.
    Yes it's an Aussie brand so not sure if you can get it anywhere else.

So far it worked flawlessly in my sl4sh (2200kv on 3s) and sl2sh as well as my yeti xl diffs on 4s.

That stuff looks good too.... Let me go find a spoon and give it a taste. Seriously though. Looks like some good stuff.
    Choose Life !!!

I also use marine grease. Works well! I try and open the rear differential once a month to make sure it is adequately lubricated. Stay away from white lithium grease!!!
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

Marine grease is fine,

Personally, I use grease that looks like Spunky's red stuff:

Don't know if it's any better or worse then others mentioned, but it has served me and my 2 Slashes well.
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

For my speed run slash that I am building, I use team losi black diff grease. It hasnít failed me yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Slash 4x4, Stampede 4x4, SCX10, Bearded Dragon

RC Racer
    Yeah it would be more nice if it was sealed box.
    But we cant complane either, i have had multiple traxxas vehicles since 2013 and have never had a single issues with it Im only open it up and clean and lube one time during the summer.

Speaking of sealed diffs.. the only think that makes something sealed is a gasket of some kind.

I was thinking of greasing up the diff case one one side, and applying hot glue on the other then pressing them together.

The grease should stop it from sticking them together and create a tight seal that can still be opened.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by spunkybob View Post
    Speaking of sealed diffs.. the only think that makes something sealed is a gasket of some kind.

I was thinking of greasing up the diff case one one side, and applying hot glue on the other then pressing them together.

The grease should stop it from sticking them together and create a tight seal that can still be opened.

Playing off that, maybe you could clean up one half of the case with degreaser. Then spread a thin line of gasket maker/sealer. The other side clean up, but thoughly oil the mating surface and press together. Let it setup a few minutes then separate and reassemble.