RC Enthusiast

Question Balance charging a lipo not to full. Is it ok to do?

Hello,

I have a gensace 5300 mah 65C 2S and skyrc imax b6 original charger.

Is it ok to balance charge the lipo from storage voltage to load some amps/volts and stop before itís full?

The reason is, I donít wish to run for a whole full hour. I wish to run only for some 20 minutes. So I can save time in charging and save time on discharging unused voltage (by running in car) to bring down to storage voltage.

Note - I know that b6 have storage mode, but it takes so long to discharge if there so much voltage/amps left in the pack.

Thanks.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    it wont hurt the battery, just will make your runtime shorter.. lipos tend to keep their voltage pretty high, and stay at that same voltage until it dumps, when it dumps, it drops off fast, at lvc

storage voltage is ~3.8 volts per cell --- 3.4-3.5 volt is the standard for longevity with lvc

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo74 View Post
    it wont hurt the battery, just will make your runtime shorter..
    That exactly I want.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo74 View Post
    storage voltage is ~3.8 volts per cell
    Yes I plan to stop running at 3.8v

Just run it from storage voltage. Then charge it back up to starage after. I do this all the time to cycle batteries

it's alright son, I'll fix it when you break it.
    Its alright son I'll fix it when you break it

Quote Originally Posted by FnFancy View Post
    Just run it from storage voltage. Then charge it back up to starage after. I do this all the time to cycle batteries

Good idea for short test runs; I should go this rout but I'm so darn OCD about my lipo's I always charge them and use my P6 to bring them back to storage voltage if I don't run them down that far while in the truck.
    I've become accustom to running on a clock rather then LVD, 15 minutes on a 5200mah lipo puts me at or very close to 3.8vpc.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by FnFancy View Post

Doing so will give me just couple of rounds (before voltage drops so low). I wanted bit more than that, that why I wanted load some juice but not full.