RC Competitor

Upgrade to 3s Lipo

I finally wanna switch to 3s for my slash 4x4 because the 2s isnt enough for me.. looking for recomendations on batteries i want 5000mah and atleast 35c im still running the vxl system if amyone has any suggestions
    Slash 4x4

Hi NoahP

Just make sure you have good fans for the esc and motor. The VXL will surely run hot on 3s. Also reccomend a temp gauge and check the ESC/Motor often during runs...

I thought the 2 cell was a great battery. Plenty of speed. Long lasting. Then I started using the 3s. All the 2s were sold. never turned back. Have fun and sure others will chime in soon.
    Last edited by lektro; 07-02-2018 at 06:15 PM.
    Choose Life !!!

Hey Noah,

Have you tried changing your pinion or spur yet? I had pretty bad results with all my VXLs on 3S. If you like to drive fast/hard, and you have a 5000mah or higher lipo, thermal issue are sure to ensue. Mild use on 3S will allow for more runtime but where's the fun in that! A new motor/esc may be in your future.

-Shack

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by lektro View Post
    Hi NoahP

Just make sure you have good fans for the esc and motor. The VXL will surely run hot on 3s. Also reccomend a temp gauge and check the ESC/Motor often during runs...

I thought the 2 cell was a great battery. Plenty of speed. Long lasting. Then I started using the 3s. All the 2s were sold. never turned back. Have fun and sure others will chime in soon.
    yes i was expecting that i will need a fan because even on 2s it gets pretty hot because ill accidentally touch it and on the high speed pinion everything just runs hot
    Slash 4x4

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by shack351 View Post
    Hey Noah,

Have you tried changing your pinion or spur yet? I had pretty bad results with all my VXLs on 3S. If you like to drive fast/hard, and you have a 5000mah or higher lipo, thermal issue are sure to ensue. Mild use on 3S will allow for more runtime but where's the fun in that! A new motor/esc may be in your future.

-Shack
    yes i have put the optional pinion that came in the box in the truck and it definitely made it faster, and ran a lot hotter. but i have put the stock one back in and i plan on running it with that on 3s i think i should definitely get a fan and yes i do want to get a bigger motor in the future im looking at the castle mamba x with the 2400kv sensored motor and i could gear that higher
    Slash 4x4

RC Champion
    Youíll want to gear down and not use the speed pinion on 3s with the stock motor/ESC. You might get away with speed runs with ample time for cooling between runs. Otherwise itís a good idea to gear down on 3s and also to have a good temp gun and check temps often.

RC Competitor
    can i get away with no cooling fan on the motor but a fan on the esc on 3s with stock gears?
    Slash 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by NoahP View Post
    yes i have put the optional pinion that came in the box in the truck and it definitely made it faster, and ran a lot hotter. but i have put the stock one back in and i plan on running it with that on 3s i think i should definitely get a fan and yes i do want to get a bigger motor in the future im looking at the castle mamba x with the 2400kv sensored motor and i could gear that higher
    Great choice Noah! MMx i/8 motor is always a good choice 2400kv will always be number 1 in my book. unless I ever needed an xlx....

can i get away with no cooling fan on the motor but a fan on the esc on 3s with stock gears?

Not with a three cell on VXL
    Last edited by lektro; 07-02-2018 at 07:25 PM.
    Choose Life !!!

Great choice Noah! MMx i/8 motor is always a good choice 2400kv will always be number 1 in my book. unless I ever needed an xlx....

Just an FYI... the 2400 is a 10th-scale motor, at least according to Castle. If you want a powerhouse 8th-Scale motor, the 1515 - 2200Kv motor will take your rig to next level! As you can see, I'm not biased towards that motor at all!

-Shack

If you get the Mamba X and sensored 2400kv motor you will be extremely happy with your choice! I have been running the 2400kv motor since Castle Creations first released it. It has been amazing on 2 - 6s! I guarantee that the next Slash 4x4 Ultimate edition I buy will get the Mamba X and sensored 2400kv
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    If you get the Mamba X and sensored 2400kv motor you will be extremely happy with your choice! I have been running the 2400kv motor since Castle Creations first released it. It has been amazing on 2 - 6s! I guarantee that the next Slash 4x4 Ultimate edition I buy will get the Mamba X and sensored 2400kv
    My goal is for it to have enough power where you cant safely hit full throttle will the 2400kv running 3-4s do this?
    Slash 4x4

RC Competitor

What kind of speeds do you think this motor will take it to on conservative gearing?
    Slash 4x4

Little did i know or didn't do my homework. I thought all Castle motors under the 2650 were 1/8 scale.....
    Choose Life !!!

Little did i know or didn't do my homework. I thought all Castle motors under the 2650 were 1/8 scale.....
    The 2400kv Is a 36mm can. It's the lowest kv tenth scale castle offers. It's just a lot longer than say the 3800kv castle motor. Your 2650kv and 2200kv are 42mm cans thus making them 8th scale. Shacks nutty TP Power motors are 58xx series, 58mm cans making them 5th scale. Castles model numbers are odd. Most companies typically number their motors the first 2 digits the can size, the last 2 the length. So the castle 2650kv which is the 1512 to them would be a 4268 or a 4068 if it wasn't finned to somebody else. I shouldn't say most. Tekin model numbers are different too, but a lot.
    Last edited by nickruger; 07-04-2018 at 04:15 PM.

Thank you for the info Nick. I swear I learn something new every day!.... and I'm a somewhat, old geezer..
    Choose Life !!!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by nickruger View Post
    The 2400kv Is a 36mm can. It's the lowest kv tenth scale castle offers. It's just a lot longer than say the 3800kv castle motor. Your 2650kv and 2200kv are 42mm cans thus making them 8th scale. Shacks nutty TP Power motors are 58xx series, 58mm cans making them 5th scale. Castles model numbers are odd. Most companies typically number their motors the first 2 digits the can size, the last 2 the length. So the castle 2650kv which is the 1512 to them would be a 4268 or a 4068 if it wasn't finned to somebody else. I shouldn't say most. Tekin model numbers are different too, but a lot.
    Do you think the 2400 woukd be fine for the slash 4x4m
    Slash 4x4

Yes. I've ran in it there, El Sob is the slash 4x4- 2400kv guru, he loves it. It is a great motor. If you are sticking to tenth scale that's the one you want. I really do think it is perfect for that vehicle.

RC Competitor
    Ok ill probably go that route eventually when i get bored of the velineon i have a feeling its gonna run pretty hot anyway when my 3s battery comes how do you think the 2400kv castle motor would run on the vxl 3s esc? Im talking about the older sensorless one or the one that comes in the traxxas funny car or just the new one without the sensor cable hooked up
    Slash 4x4

Ok ill probably go that route eventually when i get bored of the velineon i have a feeling its gonna run pretty hot anyway when my 3s battery comes how do you think the 2400kv castle motor would run on the vxl 3s esc? Im talking about the older sensorless one or the one that comes in the traxxas funny car or just the new one without the sensor cable hooked up
    I've never had the vxl3s so I can't speak for that. The motor will be fine. You might even be happy with it on 2s if the 3s on the vxl3s is a no go. It will certainly run cooler than your stock 3500kv.

Quote Originally Posted by shack351 View Post
    Just an FYI... the 2400 is a 10th-scale motor, at least according to Castle. If you want a powerhouse 8th-Scale motor, the 1515 - 2200Kv motor will take your rig to next level! As you can see, I'm not biased towards that motor at all!

-Shack
    Yet the Traxxas Funny Car that we originally saw that 2400kv in is called 1/8th scale(according to Traxxas)

https://traxxas.com/products/models/...pecial-edition
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

I ran the Traxxas version(funny car) 2400kv with my 4 pole version VXL(stock one in my Slash) esc on 3s. It worked just fine. I believe ElSob did the same at one point. The ET3s that comes in the Funny Car is a Castle based unit so it will work for sure
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcuda69 View Post
    I ran the Traxxas version(funny car) 2400kv with my 4 pole version VXL(stock one in my Slash) esc on 3s. It worked just fine. I believe ElSob did the same at one point. The ET3s that comes in the Funny Car is a Castle based unit so it will work for sure
    If i do go that route i could gear it higher too i just want something torquey that wont run so hot because i was running it today on 2s stock gears and i accidentally touched the motor and it burned me instantly haha
    Slash 4x4

The newer Velineon esc will work fine with the 2400kv motor! I had them paired up for quite some time in one of my trucks. I don't have that Ultimate edition anymore but I still have the motor combination ready to drop in another Ultimate edition
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    The newer Velineon esc will work fine with the 2400kv motor! I had them paired up for quite some time in one of my trucks. I don't have that Ultimate edition anymore but I still have the motor combination ready to drop in another Ultimate edition
    Ok i think mines definetly good then cause i got mine in 2017 thanks i might have to try that
    Slash 4x4