RC poster

Tire options for slayer pro 4 (slightly larger than stock)

I was hoping to find a tire slightly larger than the stock Slayer tires pics would be great or a reference to another post because I ain't real good with the dang tire sizes, just know I need a wheel with 14mm hex so hoping for tire wheel combo.

Thanks in advance.

If you changed to 17mm hex's, you could run any buggy tire/wheel combo available. Really gives you a large set of choices then. That's what I did when I had a slayer. I ran pro-line moab 1/8th buggy tires and really liked them.

Dug out some tires for comparison. Proline Badlands 1/8 buggy, traxxas slayer, proline road rage 1/8 buggy:
    Last edited by olds97_lss; 07-03-2018 at 11:36 AM.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC poster
    I'm not real good with seeds tire sizes for instance 2.2 2.8 I don't know what size tire comes on the Slayer but I saw setup 2.8 Badlands that were a good bit wider than the factory Slayer tire and seemed to be a good bit larger too and they looked really good so I don't know if 2.8 would be what I'm looking for? I have no idea how to post pics on here or I would show you examples, I like the diameter of the buggy wheels they just don't seem to have enough offset for me, I like the first set you posted.

I'm not sure what size "buggy" tires are, but they are all pretty similar in size for the inner dimensions. The outer dimensions differ some depending on brand, tread pattern and purpose.

Here are trencher 2.8's, proline 1/8th buggy badlands and road rage, stock slayer tires, 2.2 proline gladiator and road rage:

You can get trencher 2.8's on 17mm wheels, otherwise they can come on 12mm or no wheels I believe. I don't think there's a 14mm wheel available for 2.8 wheels, it's either 12mm or 17mm. The ones above are mounted on traxxas jato wheels as that's my e-jato. I have another set of 2.8 trenchers on my stampede 4x4.

As another comparison, here's a traxxas 3.8" t-maxx tire/wheel next to the 2.8 trenchers on my stampede:

The 2.8 trenchers up above are the same size as the 2.8 trenchers on the stampede. They look big until you put them by a 3.8" tire.

The 2.2, 2.8, 3.2, 3.8 are all referencing the bead size (ID) of the tire. The outer dimensions of the tires differ quite a bit depending on the tire.

These are the same t-maxx 3.8" tire from above with the stampede next to proline 3.8" trenchers as well as the 3.8" traxxas revo talon tire:

I think your right though, the 2.8's would be pretty good on the slayer, however, they would more than likely hit the stock body a lot. I ran a normal narrow truck body when I had a slayer. It looked retarded, but I preferred that over the big bulky "stadium truck" body for bashing:
    Last edited by olds97_lss; 07-06-2018 at 12:38 PM.

RC poster
    Is that last set a set in last pic of tired on far left Traxxas talon tires on Gemini wheels? That's the exact set I was looking at running I love the look of them on the fellas Slayer. It required some fender trimming but they looked like they belonged when done! Biggest issue for me is what we have around here a lot is sandy soil on top of hard clay or gravel and these little narrow tires don't get hardly any traction so I want to go to the water tire that isn't too hard on the truck and those look sick on his setup. I don't wanna toast a bunch slippers or Spurs. Did they have plenty of offset for full turn, etc? I really like the narrow diggers (badlands) they got serious lugs to make up for this lack of width. the best all around tire I have ever run was on my Savage, Dirt Bonez (however they spell it).

They are traxxas 3.8" talons, not 2.8" like the stampede runs. I think they will be way too big and wide for a slayer's suspension and will hit the arms a lot when you turn even if you cut the body down. The brushless stampede comes with 2.8" talons. My stampede came with those, but I bought it used and 2 of them were stripped out while the other two were glued so poorly that they wouldn't even roll without hopping. So I never ran them.

RC poster
    So get the 2.8 talons? You think they will be fine?

Or I guess the best way to ask is what other trucks will run the size tire I can use?
    Last edited by Double G; 07-07-2018 at 06:33 PM. Reason: merge