Thread: Gen 1

RC Racer

Gen 1

I have a Gen 1 Emaxx, not sure which model but I'm guessing 3905 / 3906 - it has the flat battery trays and the twin motors. It's also 27MHz (green) and is mostly original. Some RPM arts have been added through the beginning years (bumpers, skid plate). I've been thinking about modernizing it - but have no clue what all would be involved and if it would even be worth it or not.

Any help / advice / thoughts?

Traxxas Marshal
    If you have a 3906, it would take a good bit of parts to convert it to a modern setup. Honestly, I wouldn't bother. Keep it as it is and run it. Upgrade parts as you need to. The 3906 might be dated, but it is still a really fun vehicle.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Racer
    While I don't disagree - none of the lipo packs seem to fit in the battery trays.

To modernize the 3906 would require almost all new parts. Ive done it actually lol. Its doable, and can be done in stages but you'll be replacing almost every single part.

That being said, i rebuilt the old 3906 with all the parts i had leftover from the upgrade. Literally, upgrading to a 3908 left me with almost an entire 3906 in a pile of parts. And after rebuilding the 3906, i decided it was a lot of fun to drive! Its nearly as fast as my brushless maxx and it gets better runtime.

I grinded some material off the motor mounts to allow more room for lipos to fit in the trays and cut slots in the side of the battery trays in order to make removal and installation of batteries easier. Its still a tight fit but it works.

I would just recommend you ditch that 27mhz AM radio system immediately and upgrade to a 2.4ghz FM ASAP. Thats the first thing i would do. While your at it, your gonna want to upgrade the servos as well. The original servos are analog and the 2.4ghz is digital so they wont mix together well.

Also, upgrade to a new 3908 style servo save. No matter what servo you install, its going to be severely limited by your older style servo saver. The new style is cheap and easy and it comes with instructions on how to retrofit it in place of your current one.

I say you upgrade those few key components and enjoy it how it is.
    Last edited by MaXXL; 07-05-2018 at 10:07 AM.
    10 RCs and counting 😅

RC Racer
    I'll see what I can do to make it work.

I hear the Dremel warming up now. Stay tuned.

RC Racer
    Dremeled and test fitted. Charging up some 5k's - we'll see soon.

RC Competitor
    I still run my 3906 E-Maxx, though not as much since I got an X-Maxx.

Most notable upgrades I've made within the past few years include: going to a dewalt 820 last time my twins burned out, upgraded to savox steering servo and I run without a saver, 2.4GHz setup. I have two sets of 2s lipos and still use on the original EVX speed controller. Otherwise, things just get replaced when they break.

RC Racer
    I'll be running it in the next few days. Just got done putting the stock tires back on.

Stay tuned.

You should consider getting some better tires as well. The chevrons are good for straight line bashing but thats about all. They offer little cornering traction.

Badlands will always be my favorite tire for this truck.
    10 RCs and counting 😅

Traxxas Marshal
    Quote Originally Posted by MaXXL View Post
    You should consider getting some better tires as well. The chevrons are good for straight line bashing but thats about all. They offer little cornering traction.

Badlands will always be my favorite tire for this truck.
    It's funny you mention cornering with the chevrons. My first body for my 3906, a Pro-Line F-350, has holes worn into its corners because of how often I'd roll it over. Haha. When I got the Pro-Line suspension kit, the wider stance helped a bit in that department.

RC Racer
    The tires that have been on it for YEARS - were the Ofna Monster Pirates. It was very wide.

Traxxas Marshal
    Ah yes, I remember seeing pictures of those tires on Maxx trucks back in the day. Those tires are HUGE.

RC Racer
    I finally ran it! Two 5000mah Venom's. The motors were quite hot after running it. I wasn't full bore either. Ran it in an area where a building was demolished - so it's a pretty flat area with lots of large gravel chips. Also ran the UDR there (same place the steering servo went out - and this time, the right rear locking nylon nut fell off. I have named this area Broken Nut Raceway (because the nut is still there somewhere). I don't think I'll be visiting a 3rd time.

RC Racer
    I think I ran it too long and killed the EVX. The funny part is that I stopped for a few minutes thinking the same thing - and then went right back into it. I'm certain it's the ESC as the servo's still get power and the motors power up if I go direct. Is there a current ESC that will fit in it's place?

RC Racer
    Thinking of switching to a single motor mount and going with Brushless. Your thoughts?

Traxxas Marshal
    I mean, that's obviously your call, but I prefer the twin brushed setup. A selling point for me back when this truck came out was the fact that it had two motors, so I gotta stick with two.

RC Racer
    The problem seems to be finding an ESC that will support them. I think my motors are still good - they turn on 1.5v. On the ESC, I get a green light on power up - the steering servo moves. Pull the throttle, the light flickers until full throttle, then it comes back on. Reverse, it flashes.

Tried an EVX2 - same results.

RC Champion
    Mounted a single 4s behind the spur
    ground slot in the chassis to be hold battery in by 2 straps
    Running vxl6s esc ,2150kv
    Rpm wide, mip cvd’s

Keep em running
    fabricator

RC Racer
    Can you share a picture? I can't see in my mind how you're saying it's done.

RC poster
    do u have any pics/ parts you used for the dewalt install