RC Enthusiast

Is it ok to try TATTU 3300mAh 3s 11.1V 35c with XT60 connector (quadcopter lipo)?

Hello,

I want to try a 3s on slash 4x4 lcg, just to see it doing wheelies. I am on stock VXL, gearing and tires.
    What I have is a TATTU 3300mAh 3s 11.1V 35c with XT60 connector which I ordered to use with my quad.
    Is it ok to use that on slash?

Thanks.

It should be fine. If you normally run 2S then you will REALLY want to watch your motor temps, and if the truck is all stock, have some spare parts at the ready. Normally you should gear down when going up in voltage.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Look up the specs for your motor. Verify that the battery pack is capable of comfortably supplying those amps. If so, then go ahead but watch temps. If your pack cannot supply enough amps, dont use it or you'll puff your lipo (or worse)
    10 RCs and counting 😅

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by MaXXL View Post
    Look up the specs for your motor. Verify that the battery pack is capable of comfortably supplying those amps. If so, then go ahead but watch temps. If your pack cannot supply enough amps, dont use it or you'll puff your lipo (or worse)
    I am using Velineon 3500 and VXL-3s

Velineon 3500 Specifications:
    Current Ratings: 65A constant; 100A peak/burst

VXL-3s Specifications:
    Input voltage: 4.8 - 11.1V (4 - 9 cells NiMH or 2S - 3S LiPo)
    Continuous current: 200A
    Peak current: 320A

I am using below calculation on lipo,
    Max continuous Amp draw (A) = Battery capacity (Ah) x Discharge rate (C)
    3.3Ax35C=115.5A

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by sim_tcr View Post
    I am using Velineon 3500 and VXL-3s

Velineon 3500 Specifications:
    Current Ratings: 65A constant; 100A peak/burst

VXL-3s Specifications:
    Input voltage: 4.8 - 11.1V (4 - 9 cells NiMH or 2S - 3S LiPo)
    Continuous current: 200A
    Peak current: 320A

I am using below calculation on lipo,
    Max continuous Amp draw (A) = Battery capacity (Ah) x Discharge rate (C)
    3.3Ax35C=115.5A

Many years ago battery manufacturers started artificially puffing up their C ratings to increase sales. While that formula is correct, the manufacturers providing bogus data makes the calculated number invalid. It is very possible the number from them is close to accurate. I know that brand is popular in the helicopter world and is known for being a quality product.

I just wanted to clarify that the evaluation of C ratings to arrive at Amps is no longer a good idea like it once was. (as an Electrical Engineer this frustrates me to no end!!! )

Running that battery will but just fine. I had run a 1800mah lithium ion battery on my slash once. (very light battery but power output is weaker than LiPo)

-Liberty
    Last edited by LibertyMKiii; 07-05-2018 at 01:07 PM.

I run aviation 3s soft packs in my heavy scratch build 2wd car that is driven like I stole it, geared for mid 30s mph (now running the Castle El Sob motor program) and runs for about 1/2 hr. $25 ea, 5000mah 20c. Way better than the 5000mah 50c 2s hard packs that I have a bunch of now. The battery is protected inside the car, so no fear of a puncture. A plus is that they dissipate heat faster, no case to isolate them from the airstream. I made my own adapter, and have no desire or need to go back to hard cased batteries. Soft packs are common in the crawler world as well. I say run them, but as many have stated, watch the motor temps. You'll probably gain about 10-15 mph, high motor temps in the process, (I gained about 50 degrees on the original motor temp, a 5700kv Castle @ 200 degrees +) which now hammers the driveline/axles/clutch........ it never ends. I hear MIPs are great.