RC Competitor

New Members of the Latrax Family

So I started off with my SST which got a VW baja bug body due to the damage the original truck body suffered. My Daughter and Son were fighting over it, so I got a Prerunner so they could both drive at the same time. I plastic dipped the wheels then modded (some major cutting and fitting) and Plasi-Dipped a 1/16th Proline Ford Raptor Body on it because I had one lying around and . . . well. . . why not. Both the Prerunners have Tbone bumpers front and rear, as well as Savox SH-0257MG servos with glitch busters . Then I realized that it was no fun to drive My Brushless Traxxas 4x4 Backslash with the kids driving the SSTs because of the drastic speed difference, so naturally I had to get a 1/18 myself. I found a Latrax Rally on Craigslist for next to nothing, rebuilt the whole thing with boca bearings and a new Motor, and put on a Jada 1/16 body. Here is the new RC family.

Traxxas Marshal
    Great looking vehicles. That Raptor body turned out pretty nice!
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool View Post
    Great looking vehicles. That Raptor body turned out pretty nice!
    Thanks, I had the cut the crap out of the wheel wells to keep it from rubbing, but I think it still looks descent.

Traxxas Marshal
    It looks just fine. Besides, once the truck is moving, I'm sure you hardly can even tell!

RC poster
    Ok Trajan, What is the glitch buster you speak of??? Nice looking rides by the way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Lytchro24 View Post
    Ok Trajan, What is the glitch buster you speak of??? Nice looking rides by the way!

The Savox servo that I use will sometimes pull more power than the esc can handle, specifically when under full throttle and using the steering a lot like to control a drift. When this happens the truck will just cut power entirely for one to two seconds. I plugged in a capacitor “glitch buster” to the esc to deliver more power when needed. Seems to work well, since I added it I have not had the issue. Most people with the Slash four-wheel-drive use a BEC to fix the same issue with higher torque servos. A little capacitor works just fine on our little truck.

RC poster
    Oh ok, very good. Iíll be running hobbywing esc along with SAVSH0257MG servo. Iíll keep an eye out for this issue. Thanks

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Lytchro24 View Post
    Oh ok, very good. I’ll be running hobbywing esc along with SAVSH0257MG servo. I’ll keep an eye out for this issue. Thanks

That ESC may have more power. Either way it was an easy fix and the servo is so much faster especially in conjunction with the aluminum steering rack. Let me know how that worked, I think about going brushless sometimes. I have now replaced three motors, one for each of my Latrax cars.

RC Competitor
    SO I liked the raptor body so much, I felt bad letting my 8 year old son drive it down the stairs and off slides, which he will do. So I painted up another body for him in the same colors. He liked it a lot and then proceed to drive it up a slide at the park and right off the 8 foot drop on the other side. Nothing broke, but there are some large scratches in the new body. I have no idea what body it is, it was given to me when I bought a small lot of Latrax stuff.

I had enough of the plastidip left over from the last paint job that this was easy spray and cut. 2 cans of Dip paints two to three 1/18th bodies.

Last edited by Trajan; 07-16-2018 at 07:30 PM.

Traxxas Marshal
    That's sharp, it fits the truck well! Very nice.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool View Post
    That's sharp, it fits the truck well! Very nice.
    Thanks, it does fit nicely, but makes the tbr bumpers look low and huge.

Traxxas Marshal
    The front one looks a little odd, but the rear one looks good.

The paint job looks slick
    Doesn't need to be fancy. Just needs to run.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by PecosBill View Post
    The paint job looks slick
    Thanks, plastidip blue metallic and flat black. Spray the whole thing (about 6 coats), then razor blade out the windows and peel them out.

did you peel the paint off the windows? or did you put tape on it?

RC Competitor
    did you peel the paint off the windows? or did you put tape on it?
    Peel, first you spray the dip on the car, then you cut your window pattern in the dip with a very sharp knife, and peel it off.

Hmm......
    On the fenders of the car, when pebbles and such hit the underside, does the paint chip or start to peel off after a while?

RC Competitor
    Hmm......
    On the fenders of the car, when pebbles and such hit the underside, does the paint chip or start to peel off after a while?
    Not so far, and it will likely never chip. I could see with enough body damage it could peel (though the dip adds some ridgidity so that may help deter that). I painted my backslash 4x4 basher body this way and it lands shinny side down at the bmx track way more than I would like to admit and so far nothing. Not to mention the grill of my real car, I did the same thing to it to get rid of the chrome and it has seen three trips to Lake Tahoe, two to Southern California and about 15,000 miles, countless car washes, and rock hits and not a bit peeled yet. If you have a body to try it out on it is a cheap test for yourself. Clean it thoroughly, mask the windows if you want, you will have to cut them out anyway, and put down 6-8 light coats lettering it dry to the touch between. Costs you time and about $15 from Home Depot. Caution though get Plati Dip not the other brands they sell at autozone and Osh. Wasted time and money there.

Ok thanks, sounds like good, strong paint.

RC poster
    Is that Bug body on the SST or Prerunner? Either way it looks pretty awesome. What is your source?