RC poster

Titan 550 12T motor

I'm new to RC. I have a 2wd electric Rustler with the stock Titan 550 12T motor. I burnt out my original and traxxas was awesome and sent me a replacement. I could explain more, but maybe I'll get right to the motor problems.

With the new motor, I used the water trick to break it in. Ran it in a jar of water for a bit on low power. Dried it off with engine cleaner and spun it dry. Then, I ran it 3 times in child mode (1/2 power) and I kept a slow pace driving figure 8s on smooth cement. Babied it. On the 4th battery pack I ran it in pro mode making some high speed runs. I bash it pretty good in the dirt and I jump it a lot.

It's starting to make strange noises, a screeching noise. Drive shafts seem to be moving smoothly. The motor seems to inhale a bunch of dirt/sand when I'm off roading. I'm pretty much off road all the time. I've cleaned the motor after hearing noises. Stops it for just a bit, but then same stuff. I've noticed when all electronic are off, I can push car forward accros floor forward. It won't roll backwards. The motor seems to be slower. It drives in forward and reverse.

There is a small amount of side to side play in the motor spindle. It may he effecting my slipper gear. I have not ruled out that this noise is from slipper gear.

How durable are these motors? I plan to bash pretty hard. The body has upgrades to take a beating. This is my second motor in 3 weeks

Any advice or input will be appreciated

Last edited by Double G; 07-07-2018 at 06:37 PM. Reason: merge

I didn't spend too much time with the brushed set-up. Brushed motors are a consumable item, they don't last too long with dirt bashing. Also, I don't believe Traxxas recommends the water break in. There is some very affordable brushless set ups that would do great for your application, maybe look into it.

it's alright son, I'll fix it when you break it.
    Its alright son I'll fix it when you break it

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by FnFancy View Post
    I didn't spend too much time with the brushed set-up. Brushed motors are a consumable item, they don't last too long with dirt bashing. Also, I don't believe Traxxas recommends the water break in. There is some very affordable brushless set ups that would do great for your application, maybe look into it.
    +1

Brushed sealed can motors like the Titan are literally garbage motors the bushings or brushes wear out you chuck them in the garbage. That being said have you checked your gear mesh? Having too tight of a gear mesh will wear out a bushing in the shaft rather quick the play you have is pretty excessive.

I would not waste anymore time or money on brushed motors but thats just me.
    Last edited by Igottabeme; 07-07-2018 at 11:40 PM.

Traxxas Marshal
    The 12T Titan (or really most any brushed motor) can be okay if taken care of properly. As mentioned above, Traxxas does NOT recommend the water break in method. Even if done right, the water break in method could shorten the life of your motor. Now, you mention cleaning the motor out, but make no mention of lubricating the bushings. Did you put a drop of oil on each motor bushing?
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool View Post
    The 12T Titan (or really most any brushed motor) can be okay if taken care of properly. As mentioned above, Traxxas does NOT recommend the water break in method. Even if done right, the water break in method could shorten the life of your motor. Now, you mention cleaning the motor out, but make no mention of lubricating the bushings. Did you put a drop of oil on each motor bushing?
    This is true, but with the availability of a good budget brushless system the only reason I can see staying brushed is if it's some spec class racing or something.

it's alright son, I'll fix it when you break it.
    Its alright son I'll fix it when you break it

RC poster
    Thanks for the help. I'm new to this so I'm bound to make mistakes. Any suggestions on lubricants? I've just used WD-40. I'll probably switch over to brushless soon. I'll do the research but it's also nice to have forums like this. I've been searching google and YouTube, along with the Traxxas site.

I want my rustler durable, fast, waterproof, and can take the dirt and jumps. I'm all about the proper cleaning and maintenance. I don't have an endless budget, but I'm ok with spending a few bucks for something that's going to last.

Traxxas Marshal
    WD-40 won't work. Get something like 3-in-1 oil. One drop per bushing is all that will be needed.

RC poster
    Were u from I I’ll one

RC poster
    I bashed on only grass and did a lot of jumps for a couple months with the 12t titan before going brushless. I never had any issues with my motor and I didn't even break it in right, just started bashing with it lol. Is it possible that with all of your cleaners and not using real lubricating oil you made your motor too dry in a sense. You may have completely removed any shred of grease or oil in your motor im thinking. Good thing the motors are cheap

Traxxas Marshal
    ^That's very possible, yes.

RC poster
    I believe WD-40 removes the oil or grease. If you used it you effectively removed most if not all of the bearing oil. Get yourself an actual electric motor spray cleaner and you should be good. Just add a drop of oil to the bearings after use.
    Have Everything Will Travel!!!