RC Qualifier

Poor LHS support

My LHS hasn't been a TRX dealer for sometime now and I have 3 TRX R/Cs that need parts. Where is the best place to get parts?

I know I can order parts straight from the TRX site and eBay, just seeing what ya'll do for your acquisition of parts.
    Brushless RiPs Nitro Drips.

Looks like we are in the same geographical boat.

There are four hobby shops in our area and they all pretty much suck for getting Traxxas parts. You can look at this a couple of ways, but this all pretty much started when Traxxas changed its distribution scheme to "help" local hobby shops by making so they can't get parts. Added to this is the ridiculously long and intrusive application Traxxas has LHSs submit to be a Traxxas dealer, never minding the fact that these shops have sold Traxxas RCs and parts for years (3 out of the four).

Some mod or employee will chime in about how good the new system is and, of course, how their LHS have all of the Traxxas parts they need, goody for them. None will actually address the problem where the rubber-meets-the-road, and that is our LHSs cannot get parts.

On the flip-side of this, I was in the Post Falls shop three times last week for three different RC needs, one of which was for my TRX4, and the other two were for another project. For two of my parts needs (including my TRX4), they did not have the parts on hand and could not order them, and the last time they should have had the parts at the store, but did not realize they were out. For the first two visits I was fully expecting for them to have to order the parts, and was very annoyed that they couldn't. The last visit was for 5mm white LEDs, I was told they'd order more and they'd be there in a week. But, why would I wait, I can order them myself, get twice as many for the same price, and receive them in less time ordering them myself. I don't like paying the brink-n-mortar fee, but I accept it for things like LEDs when I can pick them up immediately. I try my best to support the LHSs, normally price check parts before I go in, and know I will pay a little more, I am ok with this. But, I expect support for those extra dollars and not a sob-story of why they can't get the parts I request. Of course, I will not buy batteries from any of the LHSs, they are all cheaper quality packs and WAY over priced.

Anyhow, I have found Amazon, A-Main and RPP to be the best sources for getting Traxxas parts. Of course there is Traxxas' site, but Traxxas seems to be out of their own parts a lot and their site is horrible for looking up and ordering parts, the three I mentioned above are much better.
    Last edited by Greatscott; 07-08-2018 at 10:03 AM.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    Some mod or employee will chime in about how good the new system is and, of course, how their LHS have all of the Traxxas parts they need, goody for them. None will actually address the problem where the rubber-meets-the-road, and that is our LHSs cannot get parts.
    The fact that you keep repeating this "mantra" ad nauseam says more than the actual substance of your complaint. This is a shop issue. All legitimate Traxxas dealers have access to parts and vehicles, and they can get them before the online outlets can. Whether or not your shops choose to take advantage of that, paperwork or not, is completely at the discretion of the shop. Complaining about the process (You or them) does not put parts on their walls. Now that I have addressed this for you (again) I am politely requesting that you don't post it again, as repeatedly posting it serves no purpose, and is at best misleading.
    "Fortunately son, I says fortunately I keep my feathers numbered for just such an emergency!"
    Foghorn Leghorn

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Chicken View Post
    .... Whether or not your shops choose to take advantage of that, paperwork or not, is completely at the discretion of the shop. Complaining about the process (You or them) does not put parts on their walls. Now that I have addressed this for you (again) I am politely requesting that you don't post it again, as repeatedly posting it serves no purpose, and is at best misleading.
    My LHS was a TRX dealer when I moved into the area but they stopped when sales dropped. They claim that TRX was too expensive for the area. Now I have multiple TRX cars and love how the parts interchange from one model to the other like Subaru parts.

What is RPP?

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Chicken View Post
    The fact that you keep repeating this "mantra" ad nauseam says more than the actual substance of your complaint. This is a shop issue. All legitimate Traxxas dealers have access to parts and vehicles, and they can get them before the online outlets can. Whether or not your shops choose to take advantage of that, paperwork or not, is completely at the discretion of the shop. Complaining about the process (You or them) does not put parts on their walls. Now that I have addressed this for you (again) I am politely requesting that you don't post it again, as repeatedly posting it serves no purpose, and is at best misleading.
    I prefer to think of it more as a diatribe than a mantra, but each to his own. And, there is nothing misleading about it, it is what it is. Come on up to the Great Northwest and see for yourself, maybe you can convince our LHSs to come into the fold, and we have a great crawler community up here, bring a TRX4 or two. Plus there are all kinds of stuff other than RC to do up here, assuming you are from Texas you will appreciate all of the other recreational activities up here, we have some of the finest hunting and fishing to be found.

Honestly though, I do not mean to be a pest about this, its just a burr under my saddle blanket. The invitation is genuine.

Quote Originally Posted by Skitter302 View Post
    My LHS was a TRX dealer when I moved into the area but they stopped when sales dropped. They claim that TRX was too expensive for the area. Now I have multiple TRX cars and love how the parts interchange from one model to the other like Subaru parts.

What is RPP?
    Which shop are you talking about, B&B, Hobby Town, or the guy in the valley?

https://www.rpphobby.com/

They normally have a great selection of crawler-specific parts, and have a very nice selection of TRX4 OEM and aftermarket parts.
    Last edited by Greatscott; 07-09-2018 at 08:02 AM.

“Diatribe: a forceful and bitter verbal attack against someone or something”

Yeah, I’m pretty sure that’s worse.

Let me put it in the simpler terms:
    That fact that your LHSs might not be up to standards is not the fault of Traxxas.

Of the three LHSs near me that through the years refused to stock a decent amount of Traxxas parts, one now has a very good selection and the other two are out of business.

Your parts availability woes are as much Traxxas’s fault as Hobbico going out of business was Traxxas’s fault. (Recall that there were a few that mis-assigned blame to the Traxxas lawsuit before we all learned of the staggering debt situation.) While you certainly have a reason to be annoyed, IMO the wrong party is taking the heat.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = °

All's I know is less LHS's are carrying Traxxas in my area since this Hobbico ordeal.

Then again, I've watched so many close up due to the economy in the past ten years... There used to be 15 within 7 miles from me, now there are 2.

This is an observation not a complaint against anyone.
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

RC Competitor
    There were 3 active shops kind of close to me - they've closed.

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    “Diatribe: a forceful and bitter verbal attack against someone or something”

Yeah, I’m pretty sure that’s worse.
    I would go more forceful than bitter, but read it any way you want.

Your parts availability woes are as much Traxxas’s fault as Hobbico going out of business was Traxxas’s fault.
    Agree to disagree here. Given that my LHS simply will not do what Traxxas is requesting to be a dealer, I have resorted to on-line for most of my Traxxas parts needs. I will attempt every now and then to get/order parts through my LHS, but that effort is normally an exercise in futility, although they surprise from time to time. Even though I do not like Traxxas' site for parts, I will look there first and have found it to be out of stock on the parts I am looking for. Most recently I had to pay $4 over MSPR for the spools I just installed in my TRX4 going through Amazon because nobody else had them in stock (and extra $4 per spool isn't that big of a deal, its just a little annoying).

My annoyance with Traxxas' site aside, Traxxas ships very fast and I have never had the wrong parts or missing parts shipped.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught View Post
    All's I know is less LHS's are carrying Traxxas in my area since this Hobbico ordeal.

Then again, I've watched so many close up due to the economy in the past ten years... There used to be 15 within 7 miles from me, now there are 2.

This is an observation not a complaint against anyone.
    I will say e-commerce has drastically changed the shopping landscape. I think there are too many of us hobbyist that are pinching their pennies trying to find the lowest possible price on parts instead of paying just a little more and supporting their LHS.

Going back to the theme of this thread. LHSs do not do themselves any favors at times. Between sales people that give horrible advise or push bad product, and charging too much for specific things, its no wonder why they are going out of business. I am amazed the local Hobby Town is still in business, most of their employees can't even spell "RC". There is one kid their that is pretty good, but the rest are horrible. These guys are made to push their store-brand, and have talked someone out of a 4WD Slash with the statement of, "You could buy that, but Traxxas is for noobs..."

It seems like there were some drastic changes that happened right around the time the Hobbico lawsuit hit the street. I don't know if all of those changes were connected, but the timing was sure weird. I wonder if the fences will ever be mended between Traxxas and Hobbico, and we'll be able to buy Traxxas through Tower?

Quote Originally Posted by TraxxasTigger View Post
    There were 3 active shops kind of close to me - they've closed.
    That sucks. That is one of the things I REALLY enjoyed about living in San Diego, I three shops so close that a fat kid to run to any one of them in 10 minutes (I know this from experience).
    Last edited by Greatscott; 07-09-2018 at 04:59 PM.

I guess I should be very thankful, my LHS

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Good work isn't cheap, cheap work isn't good

sorry don't know how to edit. My LHS has about a 30-foot wall full of Traxxas parts and they're all in numerical order. I'll see if I'll take a picture next time I'm there

RC Racer
    Amazon prime. Almost as fast as getting the parts from the Lhs without the hastel.
    100Mph isn't fast enough!

I can't blame anyone on anything here but I can say I have one hobbytown where I live and only one guy knows what hes doing. Problem with that. He's never there. Therefore, most of my stuff is bought online. I don't support my hobbyshop but i do with one's out of my state. Amazon and ebay have been my go to for most, but not all my parts.

Skitter! Why are you just curious as to what we do for parts. Its very simple. I look them up, find them and purchase. Simple as that!
    Choose Life !!!

RC Qualifier
    Wow, I feel like I started something Glad we all have a free voice on the subject.

I find that I like buying parts off ebay but was wondering what sites others liked to buy parts off of. My LHS is small and is a Ma and Pa type of shop. They easily could start stocking TRX parts if they wanted to become a dealer (again). They choose not to. We use to have 2 shops here in the Valley and 1 of them even had a track. That group has had their doors closed for many years now and the club sold the track and AutoZone built on the location.

Yeah unfortunately, the only place that had a track near me closed its doors. I just found this out today. Had one indoor and 3 outdoor tracks. Seems someone would just rent the tracks and make money.. Never made it there and I had plans.... We shall see...
    Choose Life !!!

RC Qualifier
    There are 3 LHS within a 2hr drive give or take of where we live, all 3 carry some Traxxas parts but not alot and not because they can't get them but it's due to keeping inventory and stock sitting and the money it costs them out of pocket.
    Everyone of these shops depending on when you place an order has a 3 day to a week at most for almost all the parts available, except when new vehicles are released which is ok because everyone else gets to work out the kinks and we know what to expect when we get ours lol.
    The one part that seems to elude everyone is the Traxxas GPS lol I ordered mine around Dec and still no ETA but it's all good and it will get here sooner or later and not a priority it's a want not a need.
    If we can still get the necessary parts to keep running here in Canada (minus the free trade issue lol) then I'm baffled how others struggle and maybe there's more to it then some LHS will admit to, don't know just my 2cents.
    I'm not discouraged that our shops don't stock alot of parts most have less then 200 sq ft and are usually just the owner and maybe one staff member but the parts are still available in less then a week.

Wow, I feel like I started something Glad we all have a free voice on the subject.
    Yes, and we are blaming you...

The tift between Nitro Chicken, ksb51rl and I on the subject of the LHS around here not carrying Traxxas parts is long-standing and deep rooted, my apologies from that back and forth detracting from the conversation.

Do you go to get-togethers and comps in our area? If not, check out INWSC on FB. We have a VERY active community with at least one organized event each month and there are people getting together all of the time for crawling.

Quote Originally Posted by lektro View Post
    Yeah unfortunately, the only place that had a track near me closed its doors. I just found this out today. Had one indoor and 3 outdoor tracks. Seems someone would just rent the tracks and make money.. Never made it there and I had plans.... We shall see...
    Bummer!

Your track might have been different, but most tracks I have seen become very click-ish and do more to drive away new people than bring them in. New people getting interested in RC is the lifeblood of our hobby, and if we make the new kids feel unwelcomed then they will go spend their money and time on something else.

So, most local hobby shops generally suck... If you were to take over your LHS, what would you do differently?
    Last edited by Greatscott; 07-10-2018 at 08:06 AM.

The timing of the change in distribution from formerly Hobbico seems quite coincidental. Now ANYONE who has owned a retail business knows that your financial relationships with your distributors can allow such things as NET 30 payments, a credit line, then of coarse overall pricing....

It could be many reasons and the ones who know the real answers are the LHS owners...

Me, I would not own or take over a brick and mortar hobby shop. Getting courteous and knowledgeable staff, the overhead involved and trying to compete with online pricing, investing in inventory, rent, electricity, insurance, occupational licensing, taxes. Forget it.....

IF I already owned a hobbyshop and had Hobbico as my source for the #1 selling RTR mfr. Even if I wasn't making that much I'd be trying to carry that product just to get customers in the door.

I'd say give it some time.... Revamping your distributors after losing Hobbico must be a real pain and time consuming.

Doesn't look so hard to Order as a Dealer if you are registered as a Traxxas Direct Dealer you place your orders and maintain your account online... https://traxxasdirect.com/login.php
    Last edited by Nitronaught; 07-10-2018 at 11:36 AM.
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

My problem is that I am two to three hours in any direction from a lhs. So I purchase most of my parts online.
    I know the one lhs that is the closest, about 90 miles, has always been a direct vendor for traxxas. So it was no change for him.
    To the south, two are hobby town usa's, don't know what there situation is.. The other is independent, last time I was there, they did not have there usual wall o traxxas. They had just moved to a new location, so I just figured they had not stocked back up yet.
    I agree with nitro naught, I think the independent hobby shops are a dying breed. The big chain stores have more buying power, hard for small stores to compete. Look what wal-mart did to small town stores.
    I hope it all gets a remedy in the near future, but I would not hold your breath.
    Rusty 2.5R,T-max 2.5 & 3.3,Summit VXL Nitro 4-tec

RC Qualifier
    Guess I feel lucky. My fav lhs has lots of traxxas trucks to start with. They also have a entire wall of traxxas parts. There has only been a few times when I've went in there they had to order a traxxas part for me. The customer service/support they give is great. They have a few new guys I don't have an opinion on yet. They tell me trx4 is out selling the scx10 in their store. Just recently I was looking for a small odd and end part and they hooked me up without anything in return. So I have no problem supporting my lhs and the traxxas stuff they carry.

Horizon now owns Hobbico/Tower hobbies and carries a full line of Traxxas parts, as well as Hobbytown which is where I just bought my Stampede 2wd vxl in May. All of my upgrade parts I ordered on Amazon.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/

https://www.hobbytown.com/

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_n...ywords=traxxas

Maybe some of you should concentrate on being more helpful and providing actual answers to the OP's question instead of bickering like children.

Is it time for a “Lighten up, Francis” gif yet?

Is it time for a “Lighten up, Francis” gif yet?
    Got one? I think we could use it...

...and if any of yous touch my stuff, I'll kill you.

(You do understand that this is serving as an age check, wondering how many will get it)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    ...and if any of yous touch my stuff, I'll kill you.

(You do understand that this is serving as an age check, wondering how many will get it)

"ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRMY training SIR!"

RC Qualifier
    I would like to hang with fellow R/C enthusiasts but its hard to justify driving 2 hrs to Spokane on a regular basis, Also noted that the INWSC group is more for crawling and not Short course.

RC Competitor
    Bill Murray's stars in the summer comedy blockbuster "Stripes"

Classic oldie.

I would like to hang with fellow R/C enthusiasts but its hard to justify driving 2 hrs to Spokane on a regular basis, Also noted that the INWSC group is more for crawling and not Short course.
    I hear you, even Post Falls is a stretch to go there regularly, but I do try to catch the monthly INWSC organized get-together/comp. I would love to get back into racing, it really broke my heart when I sold my race-bred 2wd Slash. But the good track is on Sullivan, and I just can't see making the hour-plus trek from S.L. regularly enough to have any real practice time.

The hobby shop there in Post Falls bugs the crud out of me with their Traxxas support. I understand why they have a heartache with it, but business is business, and when things change, you have to change with them. One weekend I will go in asking about Traxxas parts and get a rant about the dealership process, the next weekend I will go in and they say they are submitting the paperwork, and then the next weekend its the same rant all over again. I hate this too, the owner and I talk a lot when I am in, and he is a really good guy.

I haven't checked, and haven't heard of any, but do you know if there are any hobby shops in Bonner?

A side rant...
    My computer's 10 y/o HDD is starting to give up the ghost, was finally able to get Win 8 into Safe Mode and run CHKDSK /r to fix some of the errors and at least get it running ok, all be it a little weird. Right now I know that what I have done is just a band-aid, and my HDD is now running on borrowed time.

Now I am shopping for a shiny new copy of Win 10 and a new HDD (no, I did not upgrade with Win10 was free, that was a $100 mistake). In that, I am trying to decided to go with a 2-4TB HDD, or go with a 500mb SSD, both close to the same price and I am wanting to keep the repair bill south of $200 (any more than that and I will just get a new 'puter). So I have been researching what I should get, made sure my current hardware will run Win 10 with plenty of headroom, and check prices. I go into my local Best Buy and look for a HDD/SSD and a copy of Win 10. Their selection of HDDs was pitiful and way overpriced, and they only had one copy of Win 10, Pro version for $210. So I grab an agent and tell him what I need. He tells me that he does not have what I am looking for in stock, but I can log on to Bestbuy.com and order it from there. Even though I was expecting this I was still slight annoyed and told him that if I ordering online I will order off of Amazon and pay a lot less. This agent seemed to be unphased by my comment, he had certainly heard it before, and with an expression of total boredom, asked if there was anything else I needed. I said 'no', thanked him for his time, and left the store.

I am not sure how these business (hobby shops and electronics stores) expect to survive by not carrying stock in the store so people like me, who want it now, can just go in and get it. I fully understand that stock on hand means more overhead, but I am willing to pay a bit more for the convenience of being able to pick up what I want that day.

Well, time to fire up Amazon and order some 'puter parts.
    Last edited by Greatscott; 07-12-2018 at 11:11 PM.

I buy alot of computer's, parts, and componets from new egg. There prices are usually really good. Sometimes you can buy a refurb tower, with the hdd you want, and the software you want, cheaper than you can buy the software by itself.
    I have never had a problem with any of there componets, or whole computers.
    Rusty 2.5R,T-max 2.5 & 3.3,Summit VXL Nitro 4-tec

RC poster
    Holy cow, didn't know how lucky I was having a VERY well stocked HobbyTown near me. The guy I was working with in there this week told me they have ~400 parts in stock (across lots of models obviously) and will be ramping that up in the near future. The gentleman I worked with was fantastic, had his own truck sitting right there showing me the parts installed, didn't try to oversell me, etc.

Unfortunately the LHS 5 minutes from me turned out to be a horrible waste. Bought $80 worth of stuff based on THEIR 'expert' opinions, none of which worked, and then they refused to take anything back. Lesson learned (and end of rant).

To chime in on the original question, I had to buy a few accessories online, and the vast majority of the time Amazon was right in line (if not cheaper) than most the other places I looked. Almost nobody could beat the 2-day free shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by UpDraft View Post
    Holy cow, didn't know how lucky I was having a VERY well stocked HobbyTown near me. The guy I was working with in there this week told me they have ~400 parts in stock (across lots of models obviously) and will be ramping that up in the near future. The gentleman I worked with was fantastic, had his own truck sitting right there showing me the parts installed, didn't try to oversell me, etc.

Unfortunately the LHS 5 minutes from me turned out to be a horrible waste. Bought $80 worth of stuff based on THEIR 'expert' opinions, none of which worked, and then they refused to take anything back. Lesson learned (and end of rant).

To chime in on the original question, I had to buy a few accessories online, and the vast majority of the time Amazon was right in line (if not cheaper) than most the other places I looked. Almost nobody could beat the 2-day free shipping.
    Come here for [good] advice, go to the LHS for parts.

HEY!!! This is the "we're going to gripe about the LHS" thread, not the "I'm happy with my LHS" thread, common man, get with the program!!!

Seriously, it is great to hear that there are great hobby shops around.

THE biggest problem with hobby shops, right here. For some reason the hobby shop guy is compelled to give you an answer, even if it is the wrong one, and those wrong answers usually end up costing us money. "I don't know, but I will find out" is a lot more acceptable than buying $80 worth of hardware you can't use. For some of us $80 wasted is just a very annoying lesson learned, for others, that is several months worth of RC budget.

Come here for [good] advice, go to the LHS for parts.
    Research is key. If you can, find more than one opinion on the subject.

RC poster
    I use Amazon Prime. Two day free shipping, lots of reviews on aftermarket parts, related items get suggested below the part you're looking at, and they have a consumer friendly return policy.

Only one of the three hobby shops in my area has a reasonable stock of Traxxas parts. Sadly much of their stock is behind the counter and half of the staff don't know what they're doing. I'd much rather cut out that middle man trying to make suggestions and buy what I know I need without any fuss.

My 3 main sources for parts are Ebay Chop Shop Amazon (I have Prime) and local hobby shop. Like I said earlier my lhs has tons and tons of parts available in hand so if I break something on a Friday and i still want to bash on Saturday and Sunday I will drive to my lhs and purchase whatever I need from them. And i get 10% off parts.