RC Enthusiast

Slash 4wd vs 2wd

I know there is already a post about this subject, but Iím in a little bit of a different situation. Iím looking in to buying a slash VXL, not sure about 4wd vs 2wd yet. I plan to put big trencher 2.8 tires on it to give it more ground clearance, and trim the body if needed. I already have a rustler VXL, and I want my slash to be able to go over harsher terrain, but still be fast. A 4wd slash seems obvious, but Iíve heard a lot about how 2wd is more fun, but I think most people use their slash on an actual short course track, as itís designed for. Iím pretty torn about 4wd vs 2wd. Part of me wants 2wd for the fun factor, and ease to work on. The other part thinks that I already have my 2wd rustler, so go 4wd, and set the rustler up for road and packed dirt/sand use, and the slash for looser terrain where more traction and ground clearance is needed. Please Let me know what you think/prefer

RC Racer
    4x4 is just as fun if not more fun because you won't get stuck in grass and it tends to be far more durable. Imo the 2wd is slightly easier to work on but they are very similar.
    100Mph isn't fast enough!

I own both.

Let me sum up my experience really simply.

Slash 4x4 is for bashing only.. But only if you use it as intended and don't have something better.

Slash 2wd is subjectively more fun to drive because it's rear wheel drive but again only in the terrain it's designed for.

They are really made for flat surfaces with smaller jumps with there low chassis and tiny shocks.

Both of them will get stuck in the same places because of ground clearance even while running 2.8 badlands.

If you want a go anywhere do everything basher look elsewhere.. If you want to stick with traxxas then get an e-maxx.

The slash 4x4 needs some expensive upgrades to be a reliable go anywhere vehicle and there are better ones stock that will out bash a modded slash.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bear2216 View Post
    . I plan to put big trencher 2.8 tires on it to give it more ground clearance, and trim the body if needed. I already have a rustler VXL, and I want my slash to be able to go over harsher terrain, but still be fast.
    This right here tells me you want a Sl4sh.

I own both, and both are great fun, but offer up different driving styles. I find the 4WD easier to work on because of its simplistic drive train and modular design. I find the 2WD to be a bit of a pain when maintenance/repair of the gearbox is needed.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired