RC poster

Bought a Rustler VXL on eBay - is it old?

I bought this late last night and now I am thinking it may be 20 years old or something. That part is behind us now. But I am really bothered by the antenna coming out of the car and the pull out antenna from the controller.

I found other traxxas controllers and receivers on eBay for $30ish. Would any of them work as a replacement? Or does it need to be a particular model? I would like to be able to remove the antenna from the Rustler to give it a more modern look. Thank you.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F223049213676

Here is the controller I like
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F292629324144

RC poster
    I bought my vxl with an old am remote. I may upgrade at some time but have fun and make sure the batteries are good. I can go quite a ways on am really

RC Champion
    Yes the one you have listed will work just fine with your rustler. You can use pretty well any surface type transmitter/receiver.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by 222 View Post
    Yes the one you have listed will work just fine with your rustler. You can use pretty well any surface type transmitter/receiver.

Thanks guys. I am looking forward to getting my hands on this car. Really not sure if it was a “deal” or not but it will by far and away be my fastest.

VXL is only about 10 years old. Maybe the previous owner put a VXL into an old Rustler?
    Revo .18TM BL Rustler Stampede MERV HPI Sprint 2

RC Racer
    A all black parts Rustler is old. The one in the link he bought is not a VXL it has phillips hardware plastic links a Hobbywing esc and a Castle motor. So its a XL-5 with aftermarket brushless.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Igottabeme View Post
    A all black parts Rustler is old. The one in the link he bought is not a VXL it has phillips hardware plastic links a Hobbywing esc and a Castle motor. So its a XL-5 with aftermarket brushless.
    It arrived today.

Good - lots of power

Bad - wheels aren’t aligned. Signal strength is really weak and I think the battery is bad.

Are 3S lipos curved? Meaning if I put it on the table should it be flat?? I ran it until it was dead. It’s a 4000 20c venom. I charged it and my charger says it put 1687 in it. The curves are what really concern me though. Is that normal?

RC Qualifier
    photos help.
    Brushless RiPs Nitro Drips.

Batteries should be flat. If it's curved, that's probably not a good sign, specially with a lipo and I probably wouldn't use it. At least don't charge it indoors if you insist.