RC Qualifier

had a small in flight issue, have a question...

my Aton has been flawless from day one, still is as far as i'm concerned. back in expert mode slow and easy but had an issue on my second flight that caught me off guard.

I was about 45 feet out, less than 20 feet up making a nice slow turn for my final circuit. no idea really how long I was in the air but I fly 12-15 minutes pretty consistently. had a 4000mah Traxxas ID battery in. The battery cell charges were between 4.19 and 4.21 per cell. the batteries have all sat for a year without flying but the two 4000mah bats I have "seem" to be ok and are not puffed.

anyway, on that last turn, it jittered in the air at the same time I got a chime from the controller and it appeared to be non responsive to stick movements, or at least it seemed that way. I did not waste time and it all happened over less than a few seconds. I hit the air brakes which stopped it dead in its tracks, then hit RTH and it landed without incident. I am pretty sure it was the RTH chiming when this happened. since I know it was not a geo fence breech, and I know that the controller was not off... all that is left that can trigger RTH is a low battery that hits the Aton's LVC, correct? the controller showed two bars once it landed but that is not to say it wasn't lower than two bars while in that turn... I honestly don't know? it rattled me for sure and just trying to make some sense of it.
    Fly fast, Fly hard, and forget about the outcome.

RC Qualifier
    Could be LVC , i'll fly mine "hot' until that happens a lot . Then i back way down on the throttle and can fly around 5 more mins that way . i'll end up with like 3.7v per cell

RC Qualifier
    im hoping that is all it was hemidoo. definitely wasn't flying hot. I was making a nice slow low throttle turn. that's about all I can do after all this time off from flying. I charged that battery then cycled it back to storage charge. if it happens again... I will just replace them all.
    Fly fast, Fly hard, and forget about the outcome.

RC poster
    Interesting. I experienced something similar yesterday. I was flying my aton about 100ft in the air in sport mode, heard a chime (pretty sure it was the low battery warning), I began to bring it down to land and let it free fall a little to bring it down faster. When I went to engage the motors as it was about 30ft in the air, the quad was unresponsive and just plummeted. I've never flat-out ran out of battery while flying. Usually, after the chime, it can take me a few minutes to bring the quad down. Also, if I'm not mistaken, the quad is supposed to go into RTH if it thinks it is especially low. Note: I may have been flying in expert mode. I can't remember but I mention this in case the quad forgets certain rules in expert mode (ie: RTH when battery is low). Either way, I don't think it should have just fell out of the sky when I had just received my first chime and the quad was within 100ft. Anyone experience anything similar?

Despite the free fall crash, the quad is good as new after replacing all 4 severely damaged propellers. I couldn't believe it.