RC poster

Chassis kit to Defender conversion

Hi there

Does anyone have a list of part numbers to convert the chassis kit to the standard Defender spec?

I have always built RCs from kit as to me that is as much a part of the hobby as driving them. I have just bought the chassis kit for my boy, for me and him to build together but we want to fit the defender body.

We are going to order a clear body to paint up ourselves and there are the obvious parts like the exocage, roof rack, fender flares etc.

What about the less obvious parts like link arms, half shafts, body mounts, shock mounts etc.

It would be great to hear from anyone else who has done this (or Bronco to Defender conversion which amounts to the same as far as I am aware). What additional parts you need to purchase, what can be easily adapted/converted, what works as is.

Many thanks

Nick

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!!

I went the other way, changing the Defender from 12.8" WB to 12.3". The only parts difference are the links. Just looks on the exploded views for the Defender to get the part numbers. Other than that you just need to move the back shock tower to the right position, there are four position possible.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Quote Originally Posted by N1ck View Post
    Does anyone have a list of part numbers to convert the chassis kit to the standard Defender spec?
    Hello Nick,
    Traxxas just released 2 wheelbase adjustment kits to cover short to long wheelbase & vice versa. The link below will have exactly what you will need to fit the Defender body on the kit chassis! It is available right now from Traxxas (get it while it's in stock!).

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/8057

Good luck man!
    9.7mph 3s TRX-4 Land Rover

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    The only parts difference are the links.
    need a longer driveshaft section as well.

i have a set of the defender rear links (also went swb with mine) that i'd be down to trade for your short set. assuming you're american, should only cost us a couple stamps to trade. if you're interested, shoot me a pm

Quote Originally Posted by ubernewb View Post
    need a longer driveshaft section as well.

i have a set of the defender rear links (also went swb with mine) that i'd be down to trade for your short set. assuming you're american, should only cost us a couple stamps to trade. if you're interested, shoot me a pm
    Awesome catch, forgot about that. Before I switched over to HR shafts I cut mine down when I went from 12.8" to 12.3.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Enthusiast
    I got the chassis kit and converted it to the longer wheelbase for the defender body.I called Traxxas Support and I asked the man if it would fit,he said yes,if you got part #8057.I put that on there and it fits.You can buy this from Taxxas.com

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by KyletheRCguy View Post
    I got the chassis kit and converted it to the longer wheelbase for the defender body.I called Traxxas Support and I asked the man if it would fit,he said yes,if you got part #8057.I put that on there and it fits.You can buy this from Taxxas.com
    Did you change the fenders that come with the chassis kit for the ones that fit inside the defender body as I gather the kit / Bronco ones are wider? If not are they easy to trim down?

What about fitting the fender flares to the defender body? Do you need the internal fenders and braces to attach to?

Many thanks

Nick

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by N1ck View Post
    Did you change the fenders that come with the chassis kit for the ones that fit inside the defender body as I gather the kit / Bronco ones are wider? If not are they easy to trim down?

What about fitting the fender flares to the defender body? Do you need the internal fenders and braces to attach to?

Many thanks

Nick
    yes it comes with new shock towers and a complete defender/tactical body will come with wheel wells mounted to the body.

the instructions included in the kit will tell you everything you need to do

RC poster

Post TRX-4 Defender clear body. Parts required for Fenders

Hi. Iím a complete novice and am in progress of assembling the TRX-4 chassis. Have ordered the Defender clear body to fit it. I want to fit the fender flares to the Defender body but am completely confused as to what parts I need. The chassis kit comes with inner flares but from what I have seen on the web the flare assembly seem to fit inside the body shell. Can someone advise me of a complete Traxxas parts list that I can use to order all the parts as It looks like I need to have a number of separate parts.