Backyard Crawling Courses...

Got one?

I am in the process of putting mine together. I started out with a big lump of dirt I put rocks over (not shown), then I got a little creative with a kids playset that was left at the house when we bought it. I got the idea of using this playset when I found that chunk of sled track in the woods near my house. Also, there are LOTS of great places to crawl in my area, but all at least a 30 minute drive from my house. I wanted a course to play on, and a repeatable course I can test on after upgrades and repairs without having to drive.

The bottom pictures show the cable side, it is spaced right at 5.5" at about a 30* slope. I have tried my TRX4, Bomber, and SCX10 down it and they all slide perfectly, with just enough momentum to get them all of the way to the bottom, but not fast enough to crash into the bottom of the slide. My next step is to finish up the bottom of the slide, right now the truck's only option is to drive into that big hole.

Course by Scott O, on Flickr

Here are a few shots before I the painted and added a few other details...

Most of the rock in the middle there is fake, as well as the rock inside both tunnel enterences. It is mainly made up of 2 liter soda bottles and expanding foam. The 'rock' on top is actually burlap dipped in a mixture of grout and mortar, with a bit of paint on top.

Crawling course by Scott O, on Flickr

This whole mess is at the back end of my property, so it is nice having a generator I can drag back there to power the saws.

Crawling course by Scott O, on Flickr
    Last edited by Greatscott; 07-10-2018 at 07:49 PM.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Nice job greatscott!!!!! Its a good start to a backyard park lol

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    wish i had the yard to do it, but i'm in a condo. perhaps an inside course once my last kid moves out this year? lol

luckily, i've got a nice golf course right behind me with plenty of areas to crawl between the different greenways. (and the greenways themselves make for awesome speed runs after the golfers are done for the day )

I'm lucky,nature provides.

Mountains can't stop me they have tried
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

very nice GreatScott!

edit: I built more of a temporary course https://youtu.be/PdtNtEWrFIc
    Last edited by lotust251; 07-11-2018 at 05:47 AM.
    Slash, Stampede,Craniac,X2 TRX4 ,ford gt 4 tec 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by jamann View Post
    I'm lucky,nature provides.

Mountains can't stop me they have tried
    There are some wonderful places to run over there on the coast! There are great places around here, I just don't want to drive for 30 minutes plus to test out my crawlers.

Quote Originally Posted by lotust251 View Post
    very nice GreatScott!

edit: I built more of a temporary course https://youtu.be/PdtNtEWrFIc
    That is awesome! I was surprised how little traction that corrugated steel provides, it makes for some interesting crawling.

I need to finish up the landing of the cable slide then I will strap a camera on my TRX4 and get some run video.

RC Qualifier
    There's nothing wrong with thoses days just crawling in your back yard if you can make it happen. Good for you greatscott, good little rc playground. For thoses days I just want to be at home we hit the roundabout next to our house, its ok for what it is. I've had the itch one day to bike a small rock section off the side of my house that don't get used.

RC Racer
    Very cool! Looks like a lot of fun.

My entusiams, as well as my time on this project ebbs and flows. A user on the RC Crawler forums, OSRC, has a great thread for his course, it has inspired me to put a bit more effort into mine. If you haven't see his, check it out:

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/gener...layground.html

So, here is an FPV tour of the course:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En3h5ivGKno

So, this whole mess was orignally inspired by a jungle gym that was in the back yard when I bought the house and a chunk of sled track I found in the woods.

Crawler Course by Scott O, on Flickr

The contraption here is an elevator, of sorts, in that, it only goes down. Driving on to the platform makes makes it go down, driving off the counter weight pulls it back up.

TRX4 At Night by Scott O, on Flickr

TRX4 At Night by Scott O, on Flickr

nice pics and course greatscott! you need a video of the updated course
    Slash, Stampede,Craniac,X2 TRX4 ,ford gt 4 tec 2.0

Wow! That is an awesome course! You are definitely going to have lots of fun with that!
    If you ain't getting dirty, you ain't having fun.

I have done a bit more work on my crawling course, and will likely be done with it until the spring unless we have a late warn-snap.

I have added a "rock" wall that is at ~ 50* and is intended to not be climbable without winch assistance. I have been able to make it almost to the top with my Bomber, and my TRX4 can only make it about half way up. I am pretty sure I could climb it with my XR10, but have not tried it.

The wall itself is made out of foam on OSB, there is burlap over the top. The color is horrible, and why you should never trust colors on off-brand paint, that is supposed to be "weathered oak".

Climbing ramp by Scott O, on Flickr

Here is my TRX4 going up it. I had a little spooling problem with my winch and had to reset it to the middle. After climbing the wall I used my "elevator" twice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IPKtTWK29o

Here is some footage of my TRX4 going down the cable slide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kpXT0QtLZY

I do have to cut down a 15ft tree that is dying, so I might use it for some log obstacles.

RC Competitor
    Im trying to figure out a good landscaping project that i can hide a crawler course in

Quote Originally Posted by Stircrayzy View Post
    Im trying to figure out a good landscaping project that i can hide a crawler course in
    That is the nice thing about having a good amount of land, the course is at the far end of my property from my house.

Near my house I have a terrible little pond with some terrible landscaping, I am thinking of redoing that, putting in a waterwheel and a bridge that would look like landscaping, but would just happen to be 1/10 scale.

RC Qualifier
    Same here. For now I have up on the outside and moving into the basement. Just started gathing up stuff and build a few wooden structures or something with it. Be better than having it outside in the yard, winters coming and it will keep my boy interested in one more thing to do too.

Oooh, I'd love to see that. I would love to do that someday. Don't know how youd do that tho.. lol
    If you ain't getting dirty, you ain't having fun.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Traxxas9008 View Post
    Oooh, I'd love to see that. I would love to do that someday. Don't know how youd do that tho.. lol
    Well, my neighbor down on the next block is inspiring me. Ive got to go talk them into letting me drive on it !!

20181012_182635 by J F, on Flickr

20181012_182631 by J F, on Flickr

WOW!!! I might of offered to swap houses with him!!!! There are all kinds of crawling possibilities there!!!!

I tried to build a scale crawler course in the woods up at my in-law's place, but we just don't get up there frequently enough, and much of it gets overtaken with nettles and whatnot. Sooo....

I'm less than a week away from closing on this property, which will be our new home, God willing. It's closer to the mountains, and somewhat out in the stix, but comes with a full acre, and about 1/5 of it is down in the woods at the bottom of the hill. What you see in this pic is a panorama of the entire backyard, which is one big hill. It levels out a bit at the bottom, fortunately. If we get the place, I'll eventually start cutting out some clear areas in the wooded section, where I can make a crawling circuit of sorts. The big hill...well, that'll probably serve for jamming up & down with a Stampede 4x4 or something.

Quote Originally Posted by rcdabbler View Post
    I tried to build a scale crawler course in the woods up at my in-law's place, but we just don't get up there frequently enough, and much of it gets overtaken with nettles and whatnot. Sooo....

I'm less than a week away from closing on this property, which will be our new home, God willing. It's closer to the mountains, and somewhat out in the stix, but comes with a full acre, and about 1/5 of it is down in the woods at the bottom of the hill. What you see in this pic is a panorama of the entire backyard, which is one big hill. It levels out a bit at the bottom, fortunately. If we get the place, I'll eventually start cutting out some clear areas in the wooded section, where I can make a crawling circuit of sorts. The big hill...well, that'll probably serve for jamming up & down with a Stampede 4x4 or something.

That is awesome, beautiful place, really hope you get it, lots of potential there!!!

My place is an acre as well, for me that is the perfect size for someone that wants some land, but does not want to devote their entire lives to maintaining it.

Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    That is awesome, beautiful place, really hope you get it, lots of potential there!!!

My place is an acre as well, for me that is the perfect size for someone that wants some land, but does not want to devote their entire lives to maintaining it.
    Thanks! Yeah, I've tried not to think too much about it, because you never know how things will go, but each time I do think about it, it involves wheeling a truck in some way or another. haha! I agree on the one acre of land.

This place will be closer to some really good hiking trails and crawl spots, but it'll be nice to have a yard to run around on, for times when it's not expedient to leave home.

RC Racer
    Love the painted tire treads. I'm adding a crawling section to my back yard bash course. It is a lot of fun to have something so close but I also still enjoy going out and finding places.