Plasti-kote after painting?

Currently working on a lexan body and wondering if after I paint it fully, will a coat of plasti-kote clear coat help protect it from dirt and whatnot being kicked up inside the shell?
    I know it's enamel based paint, but it would be adhering to the actual polycarbonate paint (using Tamiya color), not the actual body shell.

Would it just flake off or actually help protect the paint?

Yes, I do know about shoe-gooing the inside for strength before anyone hops in with that. I just happen to have a can of the clear coat lying round and wondering if it would benefit from it or not.

I would try it on a junk piece of lexan. Paint it with the paint you are gonna use, then back it with your clear. I say that, because I tried that with some other paint, and it crinkled the lexan paint and ruined the entire paint job.
    Rusty 2.5R,T-max 2.5 & 3.3,Summit VXL Nitro 4-tec

Quote Originally Posted by PJbottoms View Post
    Currently working on a lexan body and wondering if after I paint it fully, will a coat of plasti-kote clear coat help protect it from dirt and whatnot being kicked up inside the shell?
    I know it's enamel based paint, but it would be adhering to the actual polycarbonate paint (using Tamiya color), not the actual body shell.

Would it just flake off or actually help protect the paint?

Yes, I do know about shoe-gooing the inside for strength before anyone hops in with that. I just happen to have a can of the clear coat lying round and wondering if it would benefit from it or not.
    in
    Personally I would use matte black. If you do a light translucent color the sun shines through the body which in my opinion looks awful. I back all my vehicles with black. Makes it harder to see inside the body also.
    Choose Life !!!

yeah, I'm backing the entire paint job with black when I'm done. Was just wondering if the plasti-kote would help protect it but seems the consensus is it will just flake off and not be worth it.