Thread: Xmaxx 8s

RC poster

Xmaxx 8s

Iím fairly new to 1/5 scale electric trucks. I have a max 6 esc Iím going to be installing but at decide between the castle 800kv or the leopard 1340kv motor. I know this has probably been discussed before but I couldnít find anything searching.

Why is yíall opinion?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcjjones View Post
    Iím fairly new to 1/5 scale electric trucks. I have a max 6 esc Iím going to be installing but at decide between the castle 800kv or the leopard 1340kv motor. I know this has probably been discussed before but I couldnít find anything searching.

Why is yíall opinion?
    800 is too low in my opinion. I went with a 1100kv 5898. Iím super impressed with it. No heat issues geared 37/54. Itís geared for 70ish and still has not loss of power.

I’m fairly new to 1/5 scale electric trucks. I have a max 6 esc I’m going to be installing but at decide between the castle 800kv or the leopard 1340kv motor. I know this has probably been discussed before but I couldn’t find anything searching.

What is y’all opinion?
    I have a Castle XLX and I run the Leopard 1340kv motor on 6s. I'm geared at 54/29 and I have very good power and speed...my top speed being 54mph. I can run 6s or 8s with my setup (which ever I want), but so far I like the price and performance of my 6s batteries. Also, I have had my setup since I bought my Xmaxx, and I got my V1 Xmaxx when they first came out several years ago.

Anyway, my understanding is that the Max6 is a 6s ESC. If this is true, then you are going to want to go with the leopard 1340kv motor up to a 1400kv motor. In my opinion, the lowest motor kv you'd want to go with (using a Maxx6 on 6s) would be a Leopard 1200kv motor.

My understanding (with the Maxx5) is that it's a 6 or 8s ESC. If this is true you could use (IMO) anywhere between a Castle 800kv to a Leopard 1340kv motor, because these combinations have been said to work by most of the forum members here and by Kershaw Designs. Of course as you know, depending on which motor and supply voltage you waned to use with your Maxx5 or Maxx6 would obviously determine what gearing you'd need to use to finish your setup's best performance.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 07-12-2018 at 04:15 AM.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    I have a Castle XLX and I run the Leopard 1340kv motor on 6s. I'm geared at 54/29 and I have very good power and speed...my top speed being 54mph. I can run 6s or 8s with my setup (which ever I want), but so far I like the price and performance of my 6s batteries. Also, I have had my setup since I bought my Xmaxx, and I got my V1 Xmaxx when they first came out several years ago.

Anyway, my understanding is that the Max6 is a 6s ESC. If this is true, then you are going to want to go with the leopard 1340kv motor up to a 1400kv motor. In my opinion, the lowest motor kv you'd want to go with (using a Maxx6 on 6s) would be a Leopard 1200kv motor.

My understanding (with the Maxx5) is that it's a 6 or 8s ESC. If this is true you could use (IMO) anywhere between a Castle 800kv to a Leopard 1340kv motor, because these combinations have been said to work by most of the forum members here and by Kershaw Designs. Of course as you know, depending on which motor and supply voltage you waned to use with your Maxx5 or Maxx6 would obviously determine what gearing you'd need to use to finish your setup's best performance.
    Not to split hairs but Max6 is 1/6 scale, and Max5 is 1/5 scale, but this is obviously just a classification. They both run 8S. The Max5 is a 200 amp esc and the Max6 I believe is a 160 amp esc which is also what the XLX is rated.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    Not to split hairs but Max6 is 1/6 scale, and Max5 is 1/5 scale, but this is obviously just a classification. They both run 8S. The Max5 is a 200 amp esc and the Max6 I believe is a 160 amp esc which is also what the XLX is rated.
    This is correct.

After a ton of research, the 1340 is what I am going with along with my Max 6 I'm installing. Hobbywing confirmed with me that the Max 6 would support the 1340 on 6 or 8s without issue. HW advised the important part of these ESCs is to look at the AMP rating and go by that. You wouldn't want to run a TP Power 15000 watt motor with a 440 amp rating off of something like the Max 5 or 6, for instance.

Hair Slitter! (lol)
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

RC poster
    Running HW max5, leopard 5892 1340kv, killmode 13,200uf cap pack, 2x 4s graphene batteries, 31/54 pinion spur. Happy with the performance with all my customization.

RC poster
    800 is too low in my opinion. I went with a 1100kv 5898. Iím super impressed with it. No heat issues geared 37/54. Itís geared for 70ish and still has not loss of power.
    Are you running 6 or 8s?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Are you running 6 or 8s?
    8S. Words for post
    Length