RC poster

Good Source for Decals

Hey Everyone,

Does anyone have a good source for non Traxxas decals that are the right size to fit the bandit? I bought two clear bodies for mine and was going to do a “Jurassic World:ACU” theme car for one of my kids and a US ARMY theme car with the WWII style US star and other military decals for my other son. My LHS doesn’t sell sticker sheets, most things I can find online seem to be way to big, meant for the rear window of vehicles etc. Anyone have any models they have built that would have decals that would work or a good place online to pick them up?

Thanks,
    Sam

I just used the xxxmain picture glue on my Stampede if you can find appropriate images in magazines, comics, etc to use. Some say they've used printed pics but inkjet has a tendency to run when the glue is applied.

https://xxxmain.com/collections/picture-glue

It allows you to glue the pics to the inside of the body, then paint over them. The glue dries completely clear. You can see in the first pic it's not dry yet and still white in places, but clear in the finished product.
    Please excuse my botched paint job, it was my first go and I made some mistakes

If you decide to try this stuff out, I can definitely give you some tips/tricks to using it. it was a learning experience for sure
    Last edited by PJbottoms; 07-16-2018 at 04:57 PM.

That looks sweet, good job
    Rusty 2.5R,T-max 2.5 & 3.3,Summit VXL Nitro 4-tec

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by PJbottoms View Post
    I just used the xxxmain picture glue on my Stampede if you can find appropriate images in magazines, comics, etc to use. Some say they've used printed pics but inkjet has a tendency to run when the glue is applied.

https://xxxmain.com/collections/picture-glue

It allows you to glue the pics to the inside of the body, then paint over them. The glue dries completely clear. You can see in the first pic it's not dry yet and still white in places, but clear in the finished product.
    Please excuse my botched paint job, it was my first go and I made some mistakes

If you decide to try this stuff out, I can definitely give you some tips/tricks to using it. it was a learning experience for sure
    I have some of this stuff. I'm getting ready to paint a body this weekend but I'm going to glue some pictures to the inside of the truck body. Please share any tips and tricks you might have. Thanks

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Here's some stuff they dont mention on youtube vids and stuff.

1) Make sure you make an outline on the outside where you want it to be. Use a good amount of glue but position it FAST. It starts to dry very quickly.
    2) "roll" your image towards you before you put the glue on. Soon as you lift it up, it's going to curl the opposite direction and make it hard to manage
    3) Use a DRY paper towel or sponge to press the image on and push the air bubbles out. Use a damp one and it may tear the image. Although when you do the back sealing coat, you can use a damp paper towel to wipe away the excess around the edges.
    4) After it fully dries, make sure to put a second coat on the back of the image to seal it. Otherwise paint will bleed through. Make sure it fully dries before painting.
    5) You can put masking over the images but try to put it lightly over the images. I only had one small piece of a corner of one image slightly tear when pulling the mask off.
    6) Dont use your fingers to push the image flat, they will stick and make it difficult. Get a cheap burnishing tool. I think i paid like $5 for a set on ebay and it worked great
    7) Make sure your brush is dry when applying the glue. If it's wet it will both make the glue to thin and may also mess the image up.
    8) Apply the glue liberally. It seems like a small jar but a little bit goes a long way.

I'm sure I'll think of others later on and add some more
    Also the xxxmain guys have a facebook page and actually respond to questions. I had a few starting out and they are super helpful!

If you can not find the decals that you want, there are a couple of options.
    If you have a computer, and a printer?
    Then go to hobby lobby and you can buy water slide decal paper and print your own
    You can also go to an art supply store, or online and buy blank vinyl decal sheet and print your own.
    The best decal sheet is the clear one, but you can not print white onto it. These decals of course would stick on the outside
    The water slide decals will go on the inside and then you paint over them
    I know parma fascolor will not harm them, I do not know about the rattle can paints
    I used to do this alot back in my slot car racing days. I used to take old school decal sheets, scan them, and then print them.
    That way you could theme an old school dragster, and not use a rare decal sheet.

RC poster
    Thanks for the tips guys! I think I am going to try a combo of the glue plus buying my own blank sheets. One question I just have a cheapo canon ink jet printer. Will those print on blank decal sheets or do I need a laser jet.

Thanks!

I just used an ink jet. I only printed on the clear sheets, that always worked the best for me. If you use clear, just remember it will leave any place white, blank. So if its water slides, where ever white was will be the color you spray, unless you mask it off and then paint white.
    I did the white sheets a few times, to me the quality was not there, the clear sheets looked the best.
    I think a laser jet would work just fine also. I think with the power of computers now, and the quality of printers, you should be able make some nice decals.