Thread: New driveshafts

RC Enthusiast

Question New driveshafts

Hi,
    I've been running the stock slash 2wd driveshafts for a while now, they seem to suffer from the heat we have in the netherlands at the moment and I'm looking for something I can replace them with.
    I've read a lot about driveshafts and what I've come up with is that the Chinese ones are just a bad choice and that 2 good options would be MIP and tekno.

I looked into the traxxas steel driveshafts, but I can't seem to find out if those are any good, does anyone have experience with these?

I'm basically just looking for a good driveshaft upgrade for the slash 2wd. All input is welcome!

Thanks in advance

I've used teknos, mips and Traxxas steel. In my 2wd slash I never had problems with the Traxxas ones, with my 4x4 I managed to break them fairly often. I love teknos, I run those in my slash 4x4. Every so often I'll snap a pin or barrel but they make rebuild kits that aren't too expensive. Only thing to remember is you can't run RPM arms with tekno m6 dog bones. I run MIP in my other 4x4 slash and those seem extremely durable so far, haven't had them to long. They are loud though, make sure you loktight everything!

it's alright son, I'll fix it when you break it.
    Its alright son I'll fix it when you break it

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by FnFancy View Post
    I've used teknos, mips and Traxxas steel. In my 2wd slash I never had problems with the Traxxas ones, with my 4x4 I managed to break them fairly often. I love teknos, I run those in my slash 4x4. Every so often I'll snap a pin or barrel but they make rebuild kits that aren't too expensive. Only thing to remember is you can't run RPM arms with tekno m6 dog bones. I run MIP in my other 4x4 slash and those seem extremely durable so far, haven't had them to long. They are loud though, make sure you loktight everything!

it's alright son, I'll fix it when you break it.
    Well, I guess the tekno m6's can be taken off my list, seeing that I'm running rpm arms.. I should find out where I can buy MIP's in the netherlands.

Thanks for the response! (still open for more input)

RC Competitor
    I run the 4wd shafts and have had no problems at all.

Jim(Jolly)Rodgers
    LCG Slash Hobby Stock
    LCG Slash SC Mod

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by JollyJR View Post
    I run the 4wd shafts and have had no problems at all.

Jim(Jolly)Rodgers
    LCG Slash Hobby Stock
    LCG Slash SC Mod
    I was wondering if those would fit properly actually. So I guess they do, haha

RC Competitor
    Yes they do,the yokes are beefier with larger diameter cross pins.They are less expensive than the alternative and hold up quite well.Of course I am only running 2S on dirt oval,and not running anything hotter than an 8.5 so keep that in mind as well.

Jim(Jolly)Rodgers
    LCG Slash Hobby Stock
    LCG Slash SC Mod

RC poster
    I've got the stock 6850x driveshafts that Slash and Stampede 4x4 come with and they have proven much more reliable and stronger in my 3S Rustler than the stock Rustler shafts had been. I kept having the shafts pop apart at the u-joint, but since I upgraded, no such problems. Pretty affordable upgrade.

RC Enthusiast

Talking

Yes they do,the yokes are beefier with larger diameter cross pins.They are less expensive than the alternative and hold up quite well.Of course I am only running 2S on dirt oval,and not running anything hotter than an 8.5 so keep that in mind as well.

Jim(Jolly)Rodgers
    LCG Slash Hobby Stock
    LCG Slash SC Mod
    Yeah.. I'm a full on 3s basher haha
    Although, Reading the last response I think I will upgrade to the 4x4 shafts!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by cfink828 View Post
    I've got the stock 6850x driveshafts that Slash and Stampede 4x4 come with and they have proven much more reliable and stronger in my 3S Rustler than the stock Rustler shafts had been. I kept having the shafts pop apart at the u-joint, but since I upgraded, no such problems. Pretty affordable upgrade.
    I am experiencing the same issues with the u-joint. I think I'll get myself some 4x4 shafts

Quote Originally Posted by Jop View Post
    Yeah.. I'm a full on 3s basher haha
    Although, Reading the last response I think I will upgrade to the 4x4 shafts!
    I couldn't keep the 4x4 shafts together on my 4x4, never tried them on a 2wd slash though. Just food for thought.
    Its alright son I'll fix it when you break it

RC Enthusiast
    I couldn't keep the 4x4 shafts together on my 4x4, never tried them on a 2wd slash though. Just food for thought.
    Talking about food for thought: do any of you have experience with the MIP C-CVD's? Are these a good option?

RC poster
    Another thing that has helped the longevity of parts has been adjusting how I drive and the programming on my ESC. Since I have the maturity of a 9 year old, I love spinning tires while popping wheelies and having the car tumble all kinds of stupid ways down the street. I also love to jab the brake while hauling butt and have the car do a 720 down the street, but all of that is really hard on the drive shafts, especially if you're running heavy tires. I've loosened the slipper a little more, played with the punch control and am finding that I spend less time wrenching and more time driving.

LOL @ Cfink828!!! Another big 9 y/o here.

I like the c-cvds. I think for your application this may be good. They are significantly lighter than the x-dutys.

I did break the axle part of some x-dutys, but they are pretty tough and it was a bad crash. I have a few rigs with the cvds and I like that they weigh less. They have been hassle free for me. I imagine they are very similar to the traxxas ones (which you should also consider,) although I have no experience with the trx ones.

I also like the 4x4 plastic stock driveshafts, they are working good for me on a few vehicles. I'm not sure how they will do with the heat you are talking about.

The x-dutys are expensive and really hard to break. The cvds are about half the cost, and I figure if you break something there you've probably broken something else as well and it is a rare occurrence. When I broke the xduty I also broke the wheel, diff gears, and the al tranny housing. It sure is nice to have a cheap "sacrificial element" in there somewheres...hint hint plastic 4x4 shafts....20$. IMO FWIW
    MTFBWY

RC Enthusiast
    So, it's either going to be the 4x4 shafts or the c-cvd's (thanks @Synnergy for your thoughts on those). I think I will go with the 4x4 shafts just because they are cheap and I might as well test them before going for something more expensive.

I think I'll stay with my childish, wheely popping, jumping around habits because that's just too much fun haha! If the 4x4 shafts break I'll get myself the c-cvd's I think.
    Thanks to everyone who responded to my question! (We can obviously keep going, because why not..)

RC Enthusiast

Jim(Jolly)Rodgers
    LCG Slash Hobby Stock
    LCG Slash SC Mod
    So, i bought myself the 4x4 drive shafts (6851x) was and they don't seem to fit. The metal pin going through the hub carrier appears to be too short. Has anyone else had this problem?

RC Competitor
    Should be 6852x (rear 4x4)

RC Racer
    Ive used all but the teknos the traxxas steels wear out. The 4x4 rears last a bit longer then the stock 2wd deals at $10 a side if you go thru 3 sets your in mip price range. I love the mips but they are heavy and loud and require more loc tite then i like to use but it will be very hard to break them they have a steel out drive and a steel stub then you can find a pack of 10 for the plastic telescoping part in plastic really cheep and change them out for half the price of the mips or teknos

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk