RC Enthusiast

4 Tec 2.0 VTA car?

Hello there,

Iím curious if anyone has set up a 2.0 for VTA. Iíve been eying the car for awhile, and it looks like it could fit the bill for something to mess with at the track and in a parking lot.

My only concern is the width. I saw one person try to use the car for USGT and with the required tires, was only 183mm or there about. I know the offsets are different for USVTA, but I still worry it wonít meet the 190mm needed to be legal.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

I know you can run 190mm bodies, if the wheels are not wide enough, can you run the thicker wheel hexes and get the width out there.
    I run 10mm hexes on the rear to get the tires to set right with the body.
    Rusty 2.5R,T-max 2.5 & 3.3,Summit VXL Nitro 4-tec

RC poster
    I think you could make it work on pavement, black carpet has just gotten too competitive in VTA. That said you will not beat the top guys who effectively run VTA now with the latest touring cars and Thousands of dollars in them. I run a Tamiya TA07 in VTA and make it work for me. I don't come in last but wouldn;t win if I had the best car either so I just have fun and let the lap traffic by. As long as you are OK with that, mount a VTA body and the legal Protoform tires and go for it. Trying to get gearing as close as you can to whatever the hot final drive ratio for your track is will be key.

I've thought about trying a 4-tec 2.0 too just to aggravate the hardcore guys even more.

RC Enthusiast
    Many if not most of the VTA bodies are 200mm. There is a Protoform video and they show her to mount a VTA 68 Mustang with VTA tires. You probably know this, you will have to buy different electronics for VTA or USGT. Many tracks have a sportsman class which might fit the 4-Tec. There is a forum on RC Tech for the 4-Tec Ford GT and there are some guys who post about the spec class they're running and they do some bashing also. I wish they have a spec class in my area.

RC poster
    We've had some spec classes around here and the cheating starts fast and no real enforcement from track owners unfortunately. Before you know it some lowly spec car is turning laps close to the full on race cars and the class is ruined. Same cycle I've seen since the early 90's for the average guy who only gets to race occasionally. Off my soapbox now.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperFluke View Post
    Hello there,

Iím curious if anyone has set up a 2.0 for VTA. Iíve been eying the car for awhile, and it looks like it could fit the bill for something to mess with at the track and in a parking lot.

My only concern is the width. I saw one person try to use the car for USGT and with the required tires, was only 183mm or there about. I know the offsets are different for USVTA, but I still worry it wonít meet the 190mm needed to be legal.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
    This is probably way too late froryou. But, they run 200 MM bodies in VTA. ProLine has a video showing the mounting of one of their VTA bodies and tires. There are a couple of issues. You'll have to play around with the gearing using the Traxxas 55T spur or the 48T Hot Racing spur. You may have to buy the Hot Racing motor mount that allows you to use more pinion sizes and the Hot Racing gear cover. The Hot Racing stuff is expensive. The manual for the 4-Tec gives you some pinions you can run with the 55T Traxxas spur. There is one more issue. Unless you are running on the black carpet it takes a while to break in the Proline VTA tires.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by RCMaverick View Post
    We've had some spec classes around here and the cheating starts fast and no real enforcement from track owners unfortunately. Before you know it some lowly spec car is turning laps close to the full on race cars and the class is ruined. Same cycle I've seen since the early 90's for the average guy who only gets to race occasionally. Off my soapbox now.
    Ii agree 100%.