RC Enthusiast

ESC / Receiver Issues?

I have a LaTrax Teton that recently burnt an ESC and HiTec steering servo. I'm not entirely sure if they're related (seems that they would be), but I'm not sure. The HiTec servo has been a weird chatter box since day one (I can't recommend HiTec since they've been really crappy with me on customer service too). I upgraded to a Quic Run brushless system from Hobbywing, however I'm facing some weird intermittent or delayed control issues. I can punch the throttle and there will be a hesitation, or the truck will stop, then take off. It's quite random and I can't really get the issue consistently occur. I'm wondering if it was damaged during the melt down and it's just barely functioning. Also, sometimes I can steer when the ESC "browns out" and other times it doesn't. I've jiggled wires and just can't find a loose connection.

Anyone else have a similar issue? I'll be tearing the truck down and inspecting the electronics in the near future. I'll report what I find.

Thanks,
    Andy,

I have not had any problems with my Quickrun esc. You can try getting a program card and change some settings on it, the punch setting controls the torq, and with mine, when I have it set real low, and punch it to full throttle, it doesn't move for a sec, and then goes, it just controls how fast you take off. You can also call Hobbywing's customer service, you'll have to try calling more than once if they don't pick up the first time. They used to never pick up, but after I complained about it, they started picking up more. You should have them walk you through a mast reset.
    Doesn't need to be fancy. Just needs to run.

RC Enthusiast
    Hey PecosBill

How do you program it with the ESC card...the 16BL30 doesn't have a programming port. I had to use the blink and beep method (not super fun). I went through reset the throttle settings, changed the brake control, and played with voltage. Not able to replicate the issue anymore, but we shall see.

What ESC settings did you find work best for you? I'm pretty happy at 50% brake force, seems to provide a little better control. However, I'm still running NIMH so your settings and mine might be completely different.
    Last edited by WaterfordMan; 07-31-2018 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Forgot information.

To program the esc with the program card, you have to connect the connector that goes into the receiver into the program card. I run with 0% drag break, low voltage cut off at 3.4v/cell, start mode (punch) at 8, break force at 50%, reverse force at 100%, enitial break force at 0%, neutral range at 9%, timing at 22.50, and over heat protection is enabled.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the info Bill. Just to verify are you using Table 2 on the programmer?

I'm pretty sure I figured out the issue. I was just using the factory settings on the ESC and I believe the low voltage cutoff was set too high to work well with my NIMH batteries. I turned off the LVC and I haven't had any issues since.

Yes, I use Table 2. I'm glad your problem is solved!! I'm always happy to help.

RC Enthusiast
    Actually ran the Teton at the local carpet track, 1/10th scale nonetheless! It did pretty well. It was our go to vehicle while the Rustler batteries were charging. With the right line I could clear 3 out of the 4 jumps, but it had to be done just right. All of this on the stock 1200 NIMH battery.

There was one triple that I had to double single with the Rustlers and I had to single, single, single with the Teton. I might have to put a little bigger pinion on the Teton to get it's speed up. That should allow it to pull a little harder, clear the other jumps easier (I was hitting top speed before the jump out of each corner) and maybe allow me to do the double, single on the big triple.

I thought I was done modding the 1/18th scale cars but....now I think I'll have to do more tinkering. I'm guessing Lipo may not be too far off.