RC Enthusiast

Traxxas Summit 1/10 Grinding Noise

Hey everyone, new RC:er and member here. Very new to this whole thing and not very handy (In fact, I picked this hobby up because I like RC, but also to learn more about using tools and about how cars work. I don't do a lot of mechanical/practical stuff). So yeah. I'll probably ask some mundane questions about certain terms, though I'll try LMGTFY first

Anyway, that being said, here's my problem. I was out driving my Summit 1/10, fourth run over a couple of days. After perhaps ten minutes I heard a very sudden crunching noise. Like when you fail with the clutch on a "real" car. This was during a turn at perhaps 20 km/h. Something definitely broke... :P

Now when I drive on low gear, there's a very high pitched grinding noise. When I'm on the higher gear, it's still there, just not as prevalent.

This noise wasn't present on the higher gear at first though. I think. At least not nearly as clearly as it was on the lower gear. I just figured I'd messed up the lower gear, so, the day after, I tried it on high gear. It seemed to work but now I don't think it does anymore, judging by the noise.

Anyway, a TL;DR, these are my issues:
    1. A very high pitched grinding noise when driving on the lower gear, a lower pitch on the higher gear. I think it's the transmission or the differentials, but I'm not sure. I recorded these videos, what do you think?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwDYEIs_lk8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4_UI3ivw1M

2. I'm not sure how to open this Summit up. I'm new to RC and new to mechanics. I've always been more of a theoretical person. I have the Slash as well and I've found way better videos for that than for the Summit. Maybe it's less complicated too, I don't know. Most YouTube-videos mostly run through the process, skipping the details I'm looking for.

However, I was able to access the spur gear and the slipper clutch but adjusting these doesn't solve the problem. That's where I got stuck. Any input would be much appreciated.

Bonus question: Is there a way to turn off the remote switches for the gears/differentials? I might have changed by accident doing full speed, would be good for the future of my poor RC to deactivate this function.

RC poster
    Hi. I am pretty new to the hobby myself but from my experience the Summt gearbox is very noisy, especially in low gear.

RC Qualifier
    That sound is normal have run mine with simelare noise, I would not worry about that.

RC Enthusiast
    Hey guys, sorry for not getting back to you sooner. My account bugged out so I couldn’t see my own thread, but the support fixed it now Thanks for the input we as well Sysp and Paul! It's good to know that the noise could be natural, so I've run the model a bit.

However, unfortunately, my issues have gotten worse since first posting. I wanted to adjust the slipper clutch a bit and sadly, after doing this, there’s an entirely new constant noise coming from somewhere, not sure where, as soon as I turn on the model, even with zero throttle, hands-off the controller it's there.

I wanted to get into the centre driveshaft again to look into this, but I simply don’t know how to get the bottom protection opened, even with the help of my brother, who's more technically inclined than I. There simply seems to be an endless number of screws to loosen and the guides I’ve found don’t do me a lot of good.

I’ve tried tightening the slipper clutch, loosened it moderately but also to the extreme both ways.

I'm still looking but if anyone knows of a video, or point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it very much.

Here's how it sounds now.
    https://youtu.be/gd06lNPWETQ
    Disregard the baby's noise, he's only 12 months and loves the RC:s already. Difficult to keep him away <3

Again, I very much appreciate the help

RC Qualifier
    Check all the servos, sounds like it is a stripped servo gear. Could be wrong but it does sound like itís a stripped servo. Make sure to check all the servos including the 3 small ones. Hope you find the issue.

RC poster
    I am pretty sure that the shift or diff locking servo is stripped. I replaced my shift servo with a Savox SH-0257 mg. I know that it is not water proof but I have found that most all servos are ok as long as you do not completely submerge them. Here is the link. https://www.amazon.com/Savox-SH-0257...RNB7Q3ENP2RT5N

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks a lot guys, I'll have a look and hope it works

You picked an awesome truck to get started with! Unfortunately it is one of the more complicated ones.

Check the support site for the manual and exploded views. That should help show how everything goes together.
    https://traxxas.com/products/models/...mmit?t=support

When I'm pulling something apart I usually try to go piece by piece and once removed, keep all the related screws/hardware separated with that one piece so I don't mix anything up.

That newest noise certainly sounds like a servo. If you got your Summit brand new recently it could be a bad steering servo...there have been a rash of faulty 2075 servos lately and Traxxas seems to be replacing them when encountered.

You can narrow down which servo is making the noise by opening up the receiver box and unplugging each of the servos, one at a time. I'd start with channel 1 (there will be two slots, one for each steering servo). Pull one of those out and turn on the truck (don't try steering if you still have both servos attached to the linkage). If you don't hear the noise any longer, you found your servo. If it's not either of the steering servos, check the smaller ones plugged into channels 3, 4 or 5. Channel 2 is where your ESC is plugged in.

Hope that helps, good luck!

RC Enthusiast
    Thank you, that sounds like a good place to start I thought I'd have to disassemble the servos and look for damaged spurs so I've been focusing on another model with smaller issues. Good to know it could be covered by warranty as well

I got the Slash 4x4 at first though, which was very easy to work with. On the Slash I made a huge mistake though, basically doing what you suggest but without separating and organise to make sure I knew which screw goes where. I took notes but didn't realise how many different screws and washers there'd be, as such it wasn't sufficient. The reason for doing this was laziness. As is often the case. I'd bought several upgrades I'd checked on YouTube and I didn't want to take apart the model several times. So, to save time, I tried installing all of them at the same time. Didn't get all the upgrades installed, I have a bunch of screws/washers left over, some due to upgrades which included screws, but some are just there...

So yeah, lesson learned. I have a very poor short term memory due to medical reasons so I tend to document most things, but it wasn't enough. I take videos now when I work on the models and so part by part. But it's all fine, as mentioned, it's one reason I got into this

But yeah, I then got the Summit, (and now the E-Revo). Got some issues with all of them (the E-Revo had one of its shocks wrecked so upgrading it to the GTR or whatever it's called) so no shortage of work to do. It's how I am though, if it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing :P As long as I can drive one of them at any time, I'm fine

But I digress, thanks for the very thorough reply, I'll get back and update once I've gotten around to it, and hopefully help other, future newbies

PS: The Summit is indeed an amazing machine, my nephew is crazy about these RCs and that one is his favourite. And when playing with him, it's my favourite as well, because it's sturdy enough for him to push down on (a bit at least). Its lower gear + training mode is awesome as well to limit speed. Also love how it can crawl. Insane

RC Enthusiast
    Hi (again) everyone,

I've tried the method suggested by czlynx (thank you!) and I now know which servo is causing that ungodly noise. Turned out to be the gear servo.

Being new and all, I want to confirm that this gear servo is switching between the Summit's low and high gear, and not for reversing?

Either way, I'll be getting a new one and have a look at the other one afterwards to see which part broke, if I can fix it and have a spare. Meanwhile, I've simply disconnected the servo. Good or bad idea? Not driving it, playing with the E-Revo right now instead.

Thing is though, it still sounds horrendous when driving it. What's curious is that when I go reverse, I get a lot higher speed than whilst going forward as well. Will get a new video up as soon as I can of this noise

RC Enthusiast
    OK so I'm back with the video regarding the noise from the Summit, having unplugged the damaged gear-shift servo. (See my post above.)

I've ordered a new servo and I'll probably order some new pinions/gear.

I'm still a bit concerned over the noise it emits. This combined with the fact that the truck stops very suddenly and abruptly seems odd to me. Do you guys still think the noise in this video is normal? Just want to double check.

Also, what parts, other than the servo, or the servo pinions/gears do I have to replace, if any? Are there any upgrades I can make to this (and perhaps the other, smaller servos, not the steering servo) to make them more durable?

Thanks again for the help

RC Qualifier
    Yes the gear servo is low and high gear only, do not think it makes more noise than mine

RC Enthusiast
    Thank you for confirming it's normal. Or think it is at least, I won't blame you if it turns out to be wrong, promise <3

RC Enthusiast
    Hey everyone,

I'm back again with some issues regarding replacing the servo. I've had it for a couple of weeks but I felt the Summit was a bit slow so I got an E-Revo, and I've prioritised that one. I also tried to fix my Slash, which was a waste of time. Have my UDR incoming tomorrow (I hope!) so this poor thing haven't gotten much attention.

Anyway...
    Having some issues changing the gear shifting servo in the Traxxas Summit. I'm not sure how to disconnect the old servo's wire from the receiver, and I'm also not sure how to remove the shifter from the servo.

Any of you guys have some input? Closest I'll get is this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onkXJkyLaEE

I realise it's very similar, perhaps identical but from a different view. I don't think the receiver box is the same though.

My video:
    https://youtu.be/tvR-9z9C6_o

Some images:
    https://ibb.co/buJaLp
    https://ibb.co/dsacY9
    https://ibb.co/js4FLp

RC Qualifier
    Take the servo horn of the servo than the servo. You need to push to get the servo wire out it is possible or you can lift the rx out the revciver box. Push all the wires to one side and take the servo lead out

RC Enthusiast
    I don't think there is a problem. Mine makes the exact same sound, and has been doing so for nearly a year now. I haven't noticed anything wrong with it, and no wear on any of the diffs.