RC poster

LaTrax Rally Motor Temp

I own 2 LaTrax Rallies and have run them together once, racing on my smooth concrete drive with a friend. I got field sports cones and marked a track with straights, curves, and hair-pins about 200 feet total in length. Cars are completely stock, including the 5 cell NiMH batteries. Arlington, Texas, air temp 95, concrete surface temp 99. After racing and crashing a while, I noticed the motor was quite hot and decided to check the temp. On both cars, the motors were at about 200 . ESCs were at about 125. I have read about people running these cars with 2S LiPo batteries. Given my motor temp, I'm afraid to even install 6 cell NiMH packs. Any thoughts?

Traxxas Marshal
    I don't really have a solution, but I can definitely confirm that these vehicles run HOT. My Rally motor gets REALLY toasty with my Series 1 six cell pack. On a warm/hot day, I can hardly get through half of a battery pack before my motor starts getting too hot. I'm going to try to add a heat sink, but I doubt it will help much. I also want to gear my Rally down a little to see if that helps. This summer, I have been driving for about 1/3-1/2 of a battery pack then I switch to my Teton for 1/3-1/2 of a battery pack. I let them cool down and then drive them again later in the day.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 07-29-2018 at 01:00 PM.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC poster
    Also no solution, but I hear the question "can i safely run 2s" hidden in this post, so that is what I'll respond to: anecdotally, yes. I picked up a 2s lipo last week and I've only run through 1 pack. Remarkably it seemed to run (slightly) cooler than the 5-cell NiMH despite really overpowering the car to the point that traction is purely a state of mind. I basically had mine 50%+ throttle drifting through my basement and slamming jumps for 15 minutes and I could actually touch the motor, unlike my last few NiMH packs where even the bottom of the chassis under the motor was too hot to touch!!

From what I hear we're gonna burn out a few of these motors eventually, might as well lipo it up!

A motor fan does wonders.
    Doesn't need to be fancy. Just needs to run.