Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Making of a real tire!

In all seriousness! Taping tires. I have a set of glocks. Great street tires. especially for speed too. Grip told me they were good for about 70 before expanding. I taped a set a good while back but haven't tried them. with a good coating of goop, after which i cut fiberglass mesh stuck the mesh in there in 3" in pieces.push the mesh into the goop. wear rubber gloves its sticky but dries somewhat fast. Make sure the fiberglass is embedded into the goop dry overnight and good to go. I can give 99.999% odds, they will never come loose on you. I would almost bet on (it if I had the money) haha. these tires now are good for way over 100. They are tight as a tick and feel awesome . I can only squeeze them inwards about 3/16" /// I have a pretty good grip too. With some good balancing. Bam! some awesome speed tires. Open for comments, opinions or questions.... Happy rcing all!

I can't believe I got no response's from this. Maybe a better place here. I am serious about taping the tires this way.

In an honest opinion. I think if you just cover all the wall's with goop and let dry. . It will truly be 100mph tire, and higher. I would love to hear of someone trying it. You want regret it! Once I get more goop. I am doing the new Trenchers I got for the slasher. They do balloon so easy!
    Last edited by lektro; 07-29-2018 at 03:52 PM.
    Choose Life !!!

RC Qualifier
    Could work, but that's a lot of rotating mass I would think.

That sounds awesome! Do you think there is a probability that the centrifugal force of the fiberglass mesh and the goop might cause the tire walls to expand or explode?
    Slash 4x4, Stampede 4x4, SCX10, Bearded Dragon

RC Qualifier
    Looking forward to hearing how this tire mod goes and you never know until you try.

I have mounted and balanced more R/C tires than I care to mention... Mostly offroad. The most difficult thing is getting the belts completely even and no overlaps which would cause the tire to be out of balance, anothe thing to be mindful of is the foam inserts, if they are not pre-molded foams, cur the edhes of the outer part of the foams to a 45 degree angle so they fit better into the tire...
    Now, how the sidewalls are going to hold up is up to the mfr of the tire. Please show pics I'd love to see what you are doing... When I was racing seriously as a sponsored driver all the guys at my local track used to pay me $25.00 a tire to mount, glue and even balance them if need be. But none of them were going speeds over 50 MPH, at least I wasn't...
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

I just received my set of unglued glocks. I will only use the goop alone on these. Get a good even coat on every inch, inside the tire. I have a good feeling that this will stop any ballooning. Only time will tell. Probably be quite some time too, so be patient with me.....
    Choose Life !!!

Decided to go with the drywall tape. Fits inside the tire perfectly.

Choose Life !!!

Making of a real tire!

Be very careful with the dry wall tape. I ruined a roll because I set it down on my work bench that was very dirty cause my muddy slash was just there and the dirt got in the holes and now it just wonít stick to anything. Be sure to put it in a ziplock bag or somthing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you sir! I will be taking out the drywall tape and putting the fiberglass mesh in once I find some goop. the tape did not work well at all.
    Choose Life !!!

RC Racer
    Does heat+centrifugal force at 100+ mph cause the goop to come undone i have doubts that ot will stay. was thinking of ca glueing plastic banding that you would find holding bundled pallets together. As it is very hard to stretch ca or plastaweld would bond it to its self very well And would allow the tire to flex inward as normal. I assume with the ca and or the goop you would need to wash the tire very well to remove any contamination from either dust out of a used tire or any mold release agents used in a new tire manufacturing process. And scuff the inside of the tirwle and wash again i am very interested as to how the goop and dry wall tape holds up

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bent_hinge_pin View Post
    Does heat+centrifugal force at 100+ mph cause the goop to come undone i have doubts that ot will stay. was thinking of ca glueing plastic banding that you would find holding bundled pallets together. As it is very hard to stretch ca or plastaweld would bond it to its self very well And would allow the tire to flex inward as normal. I assume with the ca and or the goop you would need to wash the tire very well to remove any contamination from either dust out of a used tire or any mold release agents used in a new tire manufacturing process. And scuff the inside of the tirwle and wash again i am very interested as to how the goop and dry wall tape holds up

Thatís exactly what I said in post 3. I am also interested to see the results!

Quote Originally Posted by bent_hinge_pin View Post

This all remains to be tested. That would be your own decision if you want to clean, scratch and clean again. I don't do it, but do know you get better adhesion that way. I am using the E6000 now on the sidewalls and it is on there pretty tight. I can pull, tug, and stretch and does not break loose. I will do the inner tread part when my goop arrives.

This is just a test. I do not see this coming unglued. I have decided against the drywall tape. Will be using fiberglass mesh. I did this on another set a while back, but didn't do anything to the sidewalls. I will be testing those soon.
    Last edited by lektro; 08-09-2018 at 11:46 AM.
    Choose Life !!!

Good luck lektro, I've been down this road but not for high speeds... 52 mph is the fastest I've taken my offroaders... Anytime I messed with the sidewalls the beads ripped from them.

What inserts are you using?
    All Lives Matter

Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught View Post
    Good luck lektro, I've been down this road but not for high speeds... 52 mph is the fastest I've taken my offroaders... Anytime I messed with the sidewalls the beads ripped from them.

What inserts are you using?
    Dang Nitronaught Did you do anything to the sidewalls. On the set I did a while back. I put them on the rusty. 22 p 36s. Started it up on my work table just now. Full throttle, The tread did not budge. The side walls stretched about a 3/16" vertical. Guess it's time to learn how to post videos...
    Choose Life !!!

TAKE 2 > all drywall tape is out. nice thick coat on one side of inner bead and let dry overnight. Do other sides and let that sit overnight. then the easy part. will continue...

Last edited by lektro; 08-09-2018 at 06:13 PM.
    Choose Life !!!

First part is all done. Now I will check for any thing that I missed and fill in those area's with the A6000. When my goop arrives I will do the center with fiberglass mesh.

Choose Life !!!

Love to know how much weight this adds to a tyre. Keen to see what happens.
    I don't do speed runs but I do use braided fishing line and ca glue to strap my Trenchers and Badlands. No good for backflips but great for handling and staightline control.

Quote Originally Posted by Trentbaby65 View Post
    Love to know how much weight this adds to a tyre. Keen to see what happens.
    I don't do speed runs but I do use braided fishing line and ca glue to strap my Trenchers and Badlands. No good for backflips but great for handling and staightline control.
    I think it might add about 14 ounces give or take a few. I finished taping them with the fiberglass mesh. One coat of goop to adhere and 1 hour later, Another coat to encapsulate. Getting close.

This has not been easy with the fiberglass seeing it is weaved and comes apart and gets all stringy. I thought maybe an old polyester shirt or anything tight that wont come apart while gluing. Need to use your bare fingers to spread the glue around. I tried rubber gloves at first. Got a bit messy.
    Choose Life !!!

You can also use those foam paintbrush things to spread the goop

Quote Originally Posted by Iansprouse1 View Post
    You can also use those foam paintbrush things to spread the goop

Great idea Ian! Shoulda told me sooner..... I could of surely used it on the E6000. The goop starts setting up too quickly. Like 1 minute and it drys enough to form it without it sticking to your fingers.
    Choose Life !!!

Quote Originally Posted by lektro View Post
    Great idea Ian! Shoulda told me sooner..... I could of surely used it on the E6000. The goop starts setting up too quickly. Like 1 minute and it drys enough to form it without it sticking to your fingers.
    The e6000 will slightly melt the foam of the brush but that is normal. Also be careful where you put the E6000. I had some extra and wondered what would happen if I left a bunch in a plastic cup and it melted through the cup and left a solid blob of e6000 on the table. Thank goodness it was one of the tables on the porch and now it has a tablecloth on it.

Dang Nitronaught Did you do anything to the sidewalls. On the set I did a while back. I put them on the rusty. 22 p 36s. Started it up on my work table just now. Full throttle, The tread did not budge. The side walls stretched about a 3/16" vertical. Guess it's time to learn how to post videos...
    I tried turning the tires inside out and using gorilla tape on the sides, cut the holes for the rims, had to use 2 pieces of tape one for each side... I left some room so I could glue the beads onto the tires... Only took a few good passes and the sidewalls ripped from the beads, beads still attached to the rim... I love this experiment you are doing.... Keep us posted...
    All Lives Matter

I sure will. On the set where i did nothing to the beads seemed to do ok. The sidewalls only stretched a bit, but not much I filled the sidewalls with E6000 on this set. Then i gooped the fiberglass mesh to the inside of the tread. That part is done. I thought i had the rims to assemble them. Unfortunately they are 2.2/3.0 rims. I need 2.8 which have been ordered. will let you know soon.
    Choose Life !!!

got the tires all done and ready to go on some F11s. Be in next week. I am so confident about this. I already started doing a set of 2.2 badlands and trenchers.

Just goop no tape!

Last edited by lektro; 08-22-2018 at 05:32 PM.
    Choose Life !!!

Run em!!!!!!!

Hey Lektro I just thought of something, sidewall height.... Being your tires are much lower profile than offroad tires I would imagine the sidewalls would not be as affected as much as my offroadies....
    All Lives Matter

You are correct sir. On my first set of glocs I just did the tread. The sides stretch very little on a 2s. the tread stayed straight with no balloon at. Will charge a 3s this weekend and open er up on the work table. I will take a video. I need to learn how to post one anyhow. Shouldn't be too hard.

The set i am waiting on the rims for, I did side walls and tread. This way I wont have as much outward pressure on the beads. Am looking forward to trying them out. Curiosity is getting the best of me....
    Choose Life !!!

You are correct sir. On my first set of glocs I just did the tread. The sides stretch very little on a 2s. the tread stayed straight with no balloon at. Will charge a 3s this weekend and open er up on the work table. I will take a video. I need to learn how to post one anyhow. Shouldn't be too hard.

The set i am waiting on the rims for, I did side walls and tread. This way I wont have as much outward pressure on the beads. Am looking forward to trying them out. Curiosity is getting the best of me....
    I forget what vehicle you are putting this on, is this strictly for speed runs, strictly street correct?
    All Lives Matter

The glocs are for my rusty, yes sir and will be for speed/ street only.

I am also doing a set of trenchers and badlands for my slash, for off road or whatever comes along.
    Choose Life !!!

This test was done with a 2s fully charged Lipo. The right front is the proline baja tire, preglued. All other tires are the badlands and have been gooped only.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5sw...ature=youtu.be

Will do a 3s test later....
    Last edited by lektro; 08-26-2018 at 10:32 AM.
    Choose Life !!!

This test was done with a 2s fully charged Lipo. The right front is the proline baja tire, preglued. All other tires are the badlands and have been gooped only.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5sw...ature=youtu.be

Will do a 3s test later....
    Interesteing,,,, do you feel the 2 different tires are using the same type of rubber compound? Makes it hard to compare. Proper baseline would be using the same make and type of tire. IMHO .. Still very interesting, keep it up Lektro!!!! YOu have me thinking about tires again...
    All Lives Matter

Yes sir I do. I was was telling myself all day what a dummy I was. I should have left one of the glocs as is. Back to the drawing board.

I will be testing them on my rusty also. I know for sure I get more RPM's out of it.

Also thinking with the 2.2/3.0 I was testing. You won't get as much ballooning anyhow with the inside tread being so close to the rim. I should have thought this through a bit more. Don't count me out though.
    Last edited by lektro; 08-27-2018 at 03:33 PM.
    Choose Life !!!

OK Rob Here is my next move. I have four gloks that have fiberglass and goop on the tread Just goop on the sidewalls. My F11s came in today. For now i will only glue one of the modified tires and get another set of 2 and not do anything to them, just foam and glue them on. It will be worth it to me because I am pretty confident this will work. hopefully help other people out too. One day in the near future i just might try some trencher 2.8's also.I know for sure they do a lot of ballooning.

If you can think of something I have missed, please tell.
    Choose Life !!!

RC Qualifier
    I think your on to something here lektro keep us posted I like what I see so far. (except the applying part lol)

OK Rob Here is my next move. I have four gloks that have fiberglass and goop on the tread Just goop on the sidewalls. My F11s came in today. For now i will only glue one of the modified tires and get another set of 2 and not do anything to them, just foam and glue them on. It will be worth it to me because I am pretty confident this will work. hopefully help other people out too. One day in the near future i just might try some trencher 2.8's also.I know for sure they do a lot of ballooning.

If you can think of something I have missed, please tell.
    It's a collaborative effort. I'm always willing to give my 0.02 worth.. Thank you for making this thread, these newer R/C's with Lipo power really has changed greatly and their performance means you must have tires that can take the punishment. Too bad mfr's of R/C tires have not addressed this.... They should be. SO we'll do it for them..

Hey you're the one putting out $$ for tires and then glue's fibers and time.... You're on the right track... My only suggestion is to study up on 1:1 tires and what info that can be found there. I'll be around if there's anything else I can think of I'll let you know...
    All Lives Matter

I've tried the usual Gorilla tape before but it didn't stick well to the ribbing. I just pulled it off and glued as usual.

What about a rubber spray like PlastiDip? Can probably spray a few good coats to fill in the G-Locs' internal cross-ribbing. Lay some fiber tape on a wet coat and spray again to seal.

When my current set of G-Locs need to be replaced, I will give this a shot...
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    I've tried the usual Gorilla tape before but it didn't stick well to the ribbing. I just pulled it off and glued as usual.

What about a rubber spray like PlastiDip? Can probably spray a few good coats to fill in the G-Locs' internal cross-ribbing. Lay some fiber tape on a wet coat and spray again to seal.

You first need to scuff the surface your are mounting the tape to with some sand paper (150 grit works fine) and wash it off with denatured alcohol, then it will stick very well, ribbed or not.
    All Lives Matter

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post

I like that! I am ordering another set of the badlands, will put one on with no goop. If me rusty won't make it balloon nuttin will.

If you want them completely tight. I would coat the sidewalls with E6000.
    \

Those ribs did not make it easy to do the fiberglass. I honestly think all you need to do is coat them with goop. So far on the tires I've done. I have used 7 large tubes.
    Last edited by lektro; 08-28-2018 at 07:14 PM.
    Choose Life !!!

It's a collaborative effort. I'm always willing to give my 0.02 worth.. Thank you for making this thread, these newer R/C's with Lipo power really has changed greatly and their performance means you must have tires that can take the punishment. Too bad mfr's of R/C tires have not addressed this.... They should be. SO we'll do it for them..

Hey you're the one putting out $$ for tires and then glue's fibers and time.... You're on the right track... My only suggestion is to study up on 1:1 tires and what info that can be found there. I'll be around if there's anything else I can think of I'll let you know...
    Thank you Rob! I think we are on to something here also. You know me. I accept all comments good bad or ugly..... Ordering a set of badlands now. Maybe someone else can do 2.8 tires. Or show me how your glocs balloon....volunteers?
    Choose Life !!!

Thank you Rob! I think we are on to something here also. You know me. I accept all comments good bad or ugly..... Ordering a set of badlands now. Maybe someone else can do 2.8 tires. Or show me how your glocs balloon....volunteers?
    Question,,, What type of surfaces are you intending to run on... Badlands are nice tires BTW. Personal experience with them.
    All Lives Matter

Question,,, What type of surfaces are you intending to run on... Badlands are nice tires BTW. Personal experience with them.
    The badland's I will be doing mostly grass and dirt. I built the slash hoping I could do some racing also. About a month after I bought the slash. Our only local track closed its doors and bulldozed all the tracks. I was some kind of bummed after I saw that.

Time to venture out to the country now and hunt down some good spots. I am a city dweller. Only 2 places near me now are a grass football field that is as large as 2 combined and a baseball field which is huge also. I also have a state park that has a very large gravel parking lot. I may give that a whirl someday. The park also has a few hills near the paring lot so i will be practicing some air time.

My only problem for a while now has been finding the time to get out and run my rigs. Betweem my Girls and my ex. They are keeping me extremely busy. My X pulled some stuff on me that was not very nice. I won't get into the details.
    Last edited by lektro; 08-29-2018 at 04:23 PM.
    Choose Life !!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast