RC Racer

My kid crashed his car with a brand new lipo and it got damaged. How bad is it?

Hey. He hit a wall with a 2wd slash vxl in 30mph.

I unwrapped the package too look at the battery packs, and One of them is deformed and got ticker to right there near the edge of the battery. Looks like it got a decent smash, at the edge there as you can see on the pics. It should be flat on the side but its not..
    Would this be ok to continue with or do i have to trash a brand new lipo?

Happy for some advice here...

Last edited by Ray87; 07-31-2018 at 06:41 AM.

It is never advisable to use damaged lipo batteries, the potential for catastrophe is enough without adding damage and or swelling/puffing into the mix. Having said that, I probably temp fate more than necessary. With a close eye on internal resistance, capable of cell balance, voltage retention and discharge rates I still use these packs. Again, in no way shape or form am I condoning the use of damaged lipo batteries! (On a side note, make sure to cover those cells back up!)

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Its alright son I'll fix it when you break it

RC Qualifier
    You may just want to get rid of that battery. Lipos can become very dangerous if you were to get a small hole in it. Best thing to do is to get a new one. Better safe than sorry!!
    Place the battery in a bowl of salt water and leave it for a few days. This will discharge the battery and make it safe to dispose of.

Quote Originally Posted by 222 View Post
    You may just want to get rid of that battery. Lipos can become very dangerous if you were to get a small hole in it. Best thing to do is to get a new one. Better safe than sorry!!
    Place the battery in a bowl of salt water and leave it for a few days. This will discharge the battery and make it safe to dispose of.
    That's sound advice!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

yeah i would ditch it as well.
    Slash, Stampede,Craniac,X2 TRX4 ,ford gt 4 tec 2.0

RC Racer
    Yeah it's a gamble, i see yours is littlebit worse then mine.
    It probably keep up but i dont know how safe it would be with another crash. Maby i consider to get him a 5000mah nimh battery. Would it be very mutch less punch and rutime vs 5000 mah lipo?

Thanks for the advice from all, i will consider to just destroy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray87 View Post
    Yeah it's a gamble, i see yours is littlebit worse then mine.
    It probably keep up but i dont know how safe it would be with another crash. Maby i consider to get him a 5000mah nimh battery. Would it be very mutch less punch and rutime vs 5000 mah lipo?

Thanks for the advice from all, i will consider to just destroy it.
    Right off the bat it wouldn't be a noticable difference from a 2 cell lipo, where you'll see the difference is after a few minutes of running it. The NIMH battery won't hold it's voltage like the lipos do and will slow down as the run progresses.

All I use to run were the Traxxas batteries. Have been in a few crashes but lucky for me, I never had any battery damage. I did accidentally leave one charged for 3 weeks and it has puffed up on me. I have been unsure to use it or not. A 3s 8400mAh and fairly new.

Since then, I have purchased 3 SMC hard packs and will be all i buy from here on out. From the looks of your battery, I most definitely would not use that again. I would hate to see that go up in smoke and possibly ruining more than just the battery.
    Choose Life !!!

RC Racer
    So today it was mine turn with almost new traxxas 3s 5000mah.

The crazy part is that i drived on grass and all of suddently when i drived on to the road again the truck hitted a very very low edge with asphalt, it was maby only 1cm high edge and i drived a high e maxx. Find it very strange.
    I post a pics of my battery. Slightly less damage vs my Kids lipo as u can see but anyway....
    Last pics show how small this edge that i drived over many times earlier. Snapped front bulk, front skid and diff house also. Cant belive it because i didnt crash at all... But it was like hitting a wall wide open.

Last edited by Ray87; 08-02-2018 at 01:06 PM.

Are you utilizing the foam blocks provided with the truck (assuming you bought it new). This keeps the battery from sliding around.

RC Racer
    Yeah i added foam. But the 3s is long so it was Just space for a thin layer. I think a small damage as this is ok to use? It's damaged but not half as the 2s that my kid used..

I getting him a new 2s, but i think i will continue to use my 3s as you can see on the pics?
    This hobby is pretty rare, i have drived at the same spot for two years, and never crashed it before. Last time we drived my kid smahed his 2s, next time we went out i smahed my 3s lipos. Before me or my kid had never any issue with damaged lipos. But this season we started with new batteries anf it didnt last long... As you can see on the last pics where i hitted, i still wonder how a high e maxx with huge 3.8" big joes can take damage from this low edge at the road.

From the damage I see on this battery I will say it is more than likely still good for use. Unfortunate for you that it has happened with both you and your son. Maybe you need to look into ways to keep your batteries nice and secure.

As FnFancy said use the foam the keep from moving around and maybe install some straps for some additional security to keep the battery in place during a crash.
    Choose Life !!!

RC Racer
    Yes i must continue to use it. I think it should be more damaged before it goes up in smoke, but i dont like it anyway.

I use foam, but in the e maxx its very limited how mutch it's space for when u use 5000mah 3s. Maby i should remove the foam at rear so i get as mutch as it can be at front?