RC poster

Castle sidewinder 3 cogging

Yesterday I got a new sidewinder 3 esc with 1406-5700kv sensored motor, the esc is sensorless. On my first run I noticed that the car cogged on low rpms and once it sped up it was all fine, also when I punch throttle from a complete stop it cogges for a bit then it goes full power I have 28/86 gearing pls help me

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Castlerusty View Post
    Yesterday I got a new sidewinder 3 esc with 1406-5700kv sensored motor, the esc is sensorless. On my first run I noticed that the car cogged on low rpms and once it sped up it was all fine, also when I punch throttle from a complete stop it cogges for a bit then it goes full power I have 28/86 gearing pls help me
    A. Your gearing is prob to high. Ie. Does it get hot rather quickly?
    B. The surface your running on has too much rolling resistance or tires are too tall for gearing also combined with problem A.
    C. There is binding some ware in the drivetrain
    D. Poor electrical connections ?

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

E. Battery isn't able to deliver what the system is trying to pull.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Its alright son I'll fix it when you break it

RC Qualifier
    Also could be the ESC needs to be updated. I know some older versions of the castle software has these type of issues.

RC poster
    What gearing should I use and my tires are stock, my connectors were ordered from traxxas also I run on pavement

RC poster
    how do I update I heard you can only use pc and I have Mac

RC poster
    My battery is 2s Lipo 5200mah 50c

RC Qualifier
    They make a Bluetooth link that and an app on your phone to adjust things. Lots of setting options. I think the Bluetooth link is about $50, but if you are going to be using that ESC, itís a good investment IMO. Check the auction site or Amazon.

RC Qualifier
    And you have plenty of battery. You also may have too high a KV motor and itís making it work hard off the line. Gear down some as well and see if it helps. But I believe you have 2 things that are of issue. Too high KV motor and also the castle link. You may want to look into the 3800kv motor. But for now I would gear down and work on getting the castle link.

Quote Originally Posted by 222 View Post
    And you have plenty of battery. You also may have too high a KV motor and itís making it work hard off the line. Gear down some as well and see if it helps. But I believe you have 2 things that are of issue. Too high KV motor and also the castle link. You may want to look into the 3800kv motor. But for now I would gear down and work on getting the castle link.
    I dunno, I have a rusty running the exact same system (sv3 5700kv) that doesn't cog like that. The only difference would be tires and gearing. I switch between short course tires and ⅛ buggy tires geared 23/86. I think the motor is ok in this truck, maybe gearing down as previously suggested as well as a castle link to update the ESC, also previously suggested.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Its alright son I'll fix it when you break it

RC poster
    Okay I’ll try to gear down and look into a castle link but if It keeps cogging will it damage the motor?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Castlerusty View Post
    Okay Iíll try to gear down and look into a castle link but if It keeps cogging will it damage the motor?
    You need to check temps if its not getting hot it will be ok. I would drop 3 or four teeth on the pinion or go up 3 04 on the spur and start there

RC Competitor
    I run a Sidewinder v3 with the 5700kv also and run 32p gearing that equals 23/86. I have no cogging or stuttering at all. System is smooth as glass with power delivery and braking.

Update the ESC with the latest revision of the software and you will usually find in the notes that each revision tweaks the systems for smoother operation.

Since you dont have a PC and only a Mac, grab a cheap netbook to update your ESC's. I got my first cheap netbook for $100 used and it is only used to update my R/C cars. Check ebay as they are priced in the $50-$150 range. They only need to run the Castle Link software so specs arent really important. Make sure it has the ability to connect to the wifi though to update the Castle Link(most have wifi capability).
    6 Traxxas vehicles and counting...

RC Qualifier
    The Bluetooth one may be a bit cheaper @$50. Itís uses an app on either apple or android platform. Just search for castle link in the App Store or play store. Not trying to argue about things, just putting out ideas. Iíve always used the USB one and it works great on a PC or netbook. I too am in the market for a new cc link as my old one bit the dust. I like the looks of the app as it does all the same stuff as the USB one does. Best stuff. And it ties in and is permanent in the vehicle. Should make adjustments very easy. Either way, youíll want the cc link if you plan on running a castle system. Hope you get the clogging issues resolved. Good day to all.

RC poster
    Okay thanks for the help

RC Racer
    I jist installed the castle 5700kv with a hobby wing wp-sc8-120 on 3s with a 26t 32p pinion and a 50t 32p spur (thats a super tall gear prob 40% more then the 26/83 48p your running ) on a traxxas bandit. And i have no cogging and it flys. Does run a bit warm. How ever i am setting up for 100+ mph speed runs on pavement.
    I hope its just the esc needing updating

RC Enthusiast

Same castle

I bought today this combo(castle 5700kv and esc). I want it for normal use (pacement, jumps, off-road course, etc), what gears I should use with this motor?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by igeliga View Post
    I bought today this combo(castle 5700kv and esc). I want it for normal use (pacement, jumps, off-road course, etc), what gears I should use with this motor?
    Run the 21/83 stock run and check with a temp gun any thing over 150 degrees is too hot. I believe 180 is max but i never go over 150 my self. You gear for heat its the only real way to tell and remeber the more cells the more heat

RC Racer
    This is a great gearing calculator
    https://www.apkmonk.com/app/rc.gearratio/

RC Enthusiast
    But that motor works for bashing or it has to much power?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by igeliga View Post
    But that motor works for bashing or it has to much power?
    All depends on how you gear it. For general bashing would start with the stock 21tooth pinion or even an 18 tooth for high speed i would run the 31tooth " speed pinion and keep an eye on temps on 2s your looking at 43 mph with the 21t with the 31 tooth your looking at 65+ mph those numbers increase dramaticly with 3s

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks but those numbers change cause my spur is 90, but I have a 86 spur

RC Racer
    https://youtu.be/07gXXhqif00.