RC Champion

Looking to upgrade to a brushless setup

I picked up a XL5 4Tec last night and I want to go brushless.

What's a good system to get for it? Traxxas VXL, Castle Creations, Hobbywing?

RC Champion
    I'm gonna say castle creations mamba x and a 3800 would be sweet, sidewinder may work also. I like overkill myself though.
    slash 4x4 168mph
    youtube:philip jolley

RC Champion
    I'm just looking for something to give me more speed, don't want something overkill.

RC Champion
    I'm just looking for something to give me more speed, don't want something overkill.

If you can, please post links of recommendations.

RC poster
    I bought an xl5 version and upgraded it to a brushless system. It was my first on road car so I’ll admit I have limited knowledge about on road ESCs and motors. The only brushless systems I have had personal experience with are Traxxas and Castle Creations. That being said here is what I have learned from my experience upgrading.

Avoid the Castle Sidewinder 3. Only 2 (4600Kv, 5600Kv) of the 4 motor combos available can be used with the 4 tec. The 2 that do work are limited to 2s in 4wd on road cars even though the packaging says up 3s* I bought one for my car and didn’t find this out till I read the paperwork in the box.

I currently have the Castle Sidewinder SCT (Short Course Truck) combo in my car. It comes with 3700kv motor an ESC fan that the sidewinder 3 doesn’t have. I have had no issues with overheating with 3s batteries.
    Positive: This is the least expensive combo that runs 3s. The motor has a higher Kv rating than the Traxxas Velenion VXLs system
    Negative: The programming is a pain and switching between lipos and NiMH batteries requires reprogramming the system. Per the manual, the system has a smaller number of usable pinion/spur gear ranges that the Traxxas Velenion VXLs system. (Our version of the 4Tec is geared lower that the VXL). You have to solder on a battery connector (not included).

If you’re going to switch Battery types or ease of use important to you, I would go with the Traxxas Velenion VXLs system.
    Positive: Up to 3s. No issues with Traxxas recommended gear ratios. Switching between battery types is a push of a button. 3500Kv motor
    Negative: costs $50 more that The Castle SCT combo

RC Racer
    I have the VXL-version with the Velineon combo.
    The problem with this combo is that it heats up easy.
    On stock VXL-gearing (70t spur - 29t pinion) even with 2S I had 160 on the motor (72 outside temp).
    You have to change gearing and/or add heatsinks.
    I tried changing the gears, but I was loosing to much power/speed.
    I ended up with a Integy heatsink with fan combined with a passive heatsink (Bastens).
    Now the temps ar OK, even on 3S.
    My ESC also has a fan.

What I like about the Castle Creation ESC's is that with the programming card, you can easily adjust it (eg brake amount, drag brake, punch control, max power, ... ).

RC poster
    Sounds like we should get Mamba systems.