RC Racer

Post RC Noob , 1:1 Veteran

Ive been digging through the forums for about a year now looking for my 1st crawler, being an RC Noob, i weighed all the pros and cons i could find before making the jump into a trx4 bronco. I love this truck, its replacing my 1:1 XJ overlander, anx filling the void just nicely!
    What i didnt expect was to have the same scale effect of me working on it every weekend just to keep it going. Its beginning to be a chore. Im all for tinkering and upgrading, and no problems with standard maint but this feels more like a risk every time i drive it. I expect a brand new item to at least hit the 90 day mark under normal usage before grenading. Really im barely through 5 charges on the battery yet and feeling like this is a used 150k mile vehicle.
    Its only a month old, and through 2 locker shift servos and a steering servo. 2 weeks ago i had CS on the phone and they basically said i was probably installing it wrong and to take it back to the Hobby Shop. LHS doesnt do the install even on a 30 day warranty. They did swap servos for me twice, but theyre 20 miles away, and just didnt have time to keep going back and forth.
    Im mechanically proficient, and dont have issues following the install instructions in the manual, so i know im setting the horn correctly. Now it isnt rocket science, why cant there be a proper throw travel cable and locker linkage to match the standard throw on the servos??? Or at least the ability to establish ENDPOINTS on the 2064s!
    I digress, still love the truck, but its getting to be a tough sell keeping the expenses under control for what appears to be our job as consumers to re-engineer what appeared at first to be a TOP NOTCH piece of trailriding grandeur.

Stepping down from the soapbox.
    Josh

RC Enthusiast
    Yes, the locker/shift micro-servos are very prone to failure.
    Also the Traxxas steering servos are not the greatest, and most people replace them with aftermarket servos.
    Other than the servo issues, the TRX really is a great platform.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    I already upgraded steering to this,
    DS3218 Control Angle 180 High Torque Update Servo 20KG Full Metal Gear Digital Servo Baja Servo Waterproof Servo For Mechanical arm Fittings RC Baja Cars https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073M3X86S..._B1MyBb057CEA4

Looking to upgrade the shift servos with this,
    RioRand ES08MA 9g Mini Metal Gear Servo Upgrade mg90s for trex align 450 rc helicopter E (4 Pcs) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M8T4SEA..._f2MyBb1C16384

im on my 3rd 2065 micro on the rear locker. I have given up at this point and detached the cable and leave the R locker locked all the time. It still handles well. I agree with the OP about the servo endpoints ... there is no way to set them perfectly.
    Slash, Stampede,Craniac,X2 TRX4 ,ford gt 4 tec 2.0

RC Competitor
    I know these servo problems well, but solved them. In my Summit and TRX-4 i never had a failure again.

As said here, the point is the throw. Out of the box, the throw is 100%, but the car needs only around 70%. 30% throw is going into the spring of the "saver" on top of the servo. So the servo ist "fighting" against the spring all the time.

The factory remote has no feature to set the throw, but there are two things you can do. First thing is to replace the remote with a 4(or more) channel aftermarket remote, which has endpoint features. I chose a Spektrum DX5R, this is a fantastic remote with 5 channels, telemetry and lots of other cool stuff(i use this remote for all my ground vehicles). With this remote you can set up the endpoints of every servo independently and seperated directions - problem solved.

For all of you who want to keep the traxxas remote, here the second solution: there is a german company which sells small electric circuits for rc modelcraftig. One of these, you can plug between receiver and servo. This circuit allows you to change the rotation direction AND the maximum throw of the servo! No need to change other parts and its userfriedly to set up.
    http://www.simprop.de/Seiten/Modellb...ateReverse.htm

RC Racer
    That is an interesting product. How do you adjust each direction? Or is it percentage based, and limiting both at once , positive and negative flow?
    At this point im still new and not looking for high priced addons(ie. Transmitters)

RC Competitor
    The throw ist controlled in %, you can set it from 0.5 to 125%. This value is for both direktions, you cant set it separately.

Gesendet von meinem SM-T900 mit Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Stircrayzy View Post
    I already upgraded steering to this,
    DS3218 Control Angle 180 High Torque Update Servo 20KG Full Metal Gear Digital Servo Baja Servo Waterproof Servo For Mechanical arm Fittings RC Baja Cars https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073M3X86S..._B1MyBb057CEA4
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M8T4SEA..._f2MyBb1C16384
    Did you need to extend the wires to reach make it reach the receiver?

RC Enthusiast
    Yes, most aftermarket servos will need an extension.
    Quote Originally Posted by KyletheRCguy View Post
    Did you need to extend the wires to reach make it reach the receiver?
    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    I got the 3" extension for the steering and it was barely enough. Get a 4 or 6" and make it easy on yourself. The mg90/2065 micro servos have plenty.
    I also noted that the LH side of the new servo horn was hitting the Track bar so i pulled it and made some clearance.
    Last edited by Stircrayzy; 08-06-2018 at 07:17 PM.

RC Racer
    I wish i could find one of those dusl rate servo adjusters, but nothing for sale to US that i can find.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
    I know these servo problems well, but solved them. In my Summit and TRX-4 i never had a failure again.

As said here, the point is the throw. Out of the box, the throw is 100%, but the car needs only around 70%. 30% throw is going into the spring of the "saver" on top of the servo. So the servo ist "fighting" against the spring all the time.

The factory remote has no feature to set the throw, but there are two things you can do. First thing is to replace the remote with a 4(or more) channel aftermarket remote, which has endpoint features. I chose a Spektrum DX5R, this is a fantastic remote with 5 channels, telemetry and lots of other cool stuff(i use this remote for all my ground vehicles). With this remote you can set up the endpoints of every servo independently and seperated directions - problem solved.

For all of you who want to keep the traxxas remote, here the second solution: there is a german company which sells small electric circuits for rc modelcraftig. One of these, you can plug between receiver and servo. This circuit allows you to change the rotation direction AND the maximum throw of the servo! No need to change other parts and its userfriedly to set up.
    http://www.simprop.de/Seiten/Modellb...ateReverse.htm
    That's cool! Looks very handy.

I wish i could find one of those dusl rate servo adjusters, but nothing for sale to US that i can find.
    You could reach out to HeyOK. He makes a lot of gadgets like that. If he doesn't already make one I would think he could custom make one for you.

Here's his website:
    https://www.freewebstore.org/HeyOK-Performance

RC Competitor
    Maybe you could contact Simprop, might be they ship to the US...

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
    That's cool! Looks very handy.

You could reach out to HeyOK. He makes a lot of gadgets like that. If he doesn't already make one I would think he could custom make one for you.

Here's his website:
    https://www.freewebstore.org/HeyOK-Performance
    Bingo !!!! Thanks Jato
    https://www.freewebstore.org/heyok-p..._18344974.aspx

You're welcome! Good to know he has one so thanks for the heads up.

RC poster
    Have you looked at the TraxxasLink module that plugs into the transmitter? I know you can set endpoints for the steering servo using that, but I’m not sure about the dif locks.

RC Enthusiast

RC Noob , 1:1 Veteran

I just have to say the 150k vehicle feeling in repairs is spot on. I have spent an equal percentage of time fixin the thing vs. driving it just as I do with my real Bronco

Traxxas has a strict language policy. A word filter operates to change inappropriate words and banned websites or brands to *s. When you see these in your post, you MUST edit them out. -ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 08-07-2018 at 08:37 PM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by sneektip View Post
    Have you looked at the TraxxasLink module that plugs into the transmitter? I know you can set endpoints for the steering servo using that, but I’m not sure about the dif locks.
    Yeah, ive looked into it. No help adjusting shift servos, but makes all the other setup way easier tgan learning transmitter morse code.
    Quote Originally Posted by entityunknown View Post
    I just have to say the 150k vehicle feeling in repairs is spot on. I have spent an equal percentage of time fixin the thing vs. driving it just as I do with my real Bronco
    Some of he fixing i really dont mind (like when its my fault, or an upgrade) and its a lot more tolerable since i can do so at the kitchen table with coffee on a sunday morning. The alternative is picking rust specs and mud out of my eyes and ears laying on the cold gsrage floor or leaning over a fender. I do enjoy wrenching on my 1:1Jeeps but lets face it....
    Getting old sux and we must cure our itch in new ways.��